Purdue contacted Art Briles for HC position

Briles should jump at LSU job if the Tigers inquire. No reason he couldn't recruit for his offense. The Briles-Saban matchups every season could be classics. Saban hates those offenses.

Assuming Texas successfully lures Herman away from Houston. Otherwise Briles might get a call from the Longhorns.

I don't see any marquee programs hiring Briles as HC right away. He'll have to do penance as OC or at a smaller program.

Most likely scenario for a return to HC would be Houston not wanting to lose all its momentum if Herman leaves.

That would be an interesting scenario.

I assumed Houston would just promote Applewhite to keep the train on the tracks. But if Briles were interested, he'd probably be the best choice for them to stay "relevant".

But Houston is a big city, with some progressive values. Hiring Briles might be more negative press than positive.

Advertisement
Per my Buddy in my office whose a Purdue alum and big fan.

Regardless I don't see briles taking that, but it does show that some schools are comfortable picking up the phone and inquiring about Briles.
If richt wants to appease this fan base, he should at least consider picking up the phone the moment probation ends on Friday and seeing level of interest for a Briles OC. That offense plus Diaz's defense would kill CFB

I'm sure 60 year old Art Briles is going to be knocking down our door to be an assistant when teams are going to be offering him head coaching jobs.

Glad some of you aren't in a position to hire coaches

Jesus christ. Art briles? You sure it's not too late to dig up Paterno and have his petrified skeleton call plays?

Briles should jump at LSU job if the Tigers inquire. No reason he couldn't recruit for his offense. The Briles-Saban matchups every season could be classics. Saban hates those offenses.

Assuming Texas successfully lures Herman away from Houston. Otherwise Briles might get a call from the Longhorns.

I don't see any marquee programs hiring Briles as HC right away. He'll have to do penance as OC or at a smaller program.

Most likely scenario for a return to HC would be Houston not wanting to lose all its momentum if Herman leaves.

Good point. Houston could take the PR hit and hire Briles back if they lose Herman.

Advertisement
Anyone who has a chance to hire Briles, and doesn't do it, just doesn't care about winning. I would hire him in a second.

LSU is desperate right now. If Jimbo says no again, I could see them taking the PR hit to hire Briles.

Anyone who has a chance to hire Briles, and doesn't do it, just doesn't care about winning. I would hire him in a second.

In today's politically correct world, that opinion is no longer realistic. Lets say Jimbo left FSU...with all of the off field issues they have had, its highly unlikely they would hire Briles.

He won't even consider taking that job. Baylor at least was in a recruit rich state and region. Purdue not in a talent rich area and won't out recruit Indy or ND. Briles will land a high profile job, LSU, Texas come to mind.

Advertisement
Purdon't is the type of school that should be strictly academics and shouldn't field any sports teams. just doesn't feel right.

An unwillingness to 'win at all costs' does not indicate a disinterest in winning. Baylor decided their values as a Christian institituion of higher learning were corrupted by efforts to win at the highest level in college football.

Purdon't is the type of school that should be strictly academics and shouldn't field any sports teams. just doesn't feel right.

They pretty good at basketball and have a good basketball history. Props to them for reaching out to Briles. Also have heard Les Miles name tossed around. Brohm or Schianno, maybe Brock Spack would be the right hire for them if Briles and Miles Pass.

Advertisement
Per my Buddy in my office whose a Purdue alum and big fan.

Regardless I don't see briles taking that, but it does show that some schools are comfortable picking up the phone and inquiring about Briles.
If richt wants to appease this fan base, he should at least consider picking up the phone the moment probation ends on Friday and seeing level of interest for a Briles OC. That offense plus Diaz's defense would kill CFB

So who's going to run killer the offense? Kaaya?

I think a lot of people were expecting to have a killer offense this year.

Briles is way too arrogant to accept an OC job unless he finds getting a HC job to be difficult

A guy that hands out bibles to players is going to hire a coach that supposedly covered up sexual assaults by his players? Yeah, not likely.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back