Pump your brakes on a 2020 season.

Advertisement
tenor.gif

"just accept the fact the virus is here to stay & move on accordingly."

This 100%.
The best thing people can do is learn how to live with it. Adjust accordingly. I don't understand how people can think we can stay shutdown until there is a vaccine. Here is a fact....there is a chance that will never happen. There has never been a vaccine successfully developed for any of the other corona viruses. Maybe the additional preasure will lead to one but its wont be for a long while.
Its not a binary choice. Learn to live with it because that's reality. Pay attention to the hospitalization rate (don't want the system overwhelmed) Pay attention to the mortality rate (make sure its still under 2%). Those two things are way more important than number of cases and daily death numbers. JMO

The IFR isn't anywhere remotely near 2%. The serious/severe rate is between 2% and 3%. The fatality rate is 1% at absolute worst, and probably much lower. And for the average, under age 60, reasonably healthy American it's akin to the flu. For the average college or professional athlete in peak physical condition, it's less than the flu.

The fact that no state has met the 14 day decline should give us pause. What this means is that Covid-19 will continue to rise as states open up their economies and they already have in 16 states.

We can't stay shut down forever, but I fear we're not prepared for what may come. We'll know in a month or two how things are playing out. I'd expect a decision to be made on football by the 1st of July if not sooner.

Not to be Jonny raincloud, but I just don't see this thing panning out for the Fall because in the short time that states have reopened, people are going back to their pre Covid-19 routines. I guess it's human nature, but nothing has occurred that people can just return to normal like nothing ever happened. The virus hasn't left. We don't have a vaccine. If we're going to be successful during this pandemic, we have to act responsibility or this whole thing won't work resulting in no football or any other sport for that matter.

Advertisement
1. Colleges will have on campus classes. Going a year without would make people think about what exactly they're spending $70k/year on.

2. People are ****ed about being cooped up with nothing to now, it will get worse. Expect a new joie de vivre as people start going out.

Unfortunately, Fauci doesn’t think the NFL can play their games, even without crowds and player testing.

View attachment 116773
If it was up to Fauci, we'd all live in the Matrix and no one would ever get so much as a cut. This guy is a fascist wearing the mask of medicine and science.

Doctors are always going to err on the side of caution, if it were up to them the entire country would be on full lockdown quarantine until there's a 100% effective vaccine.

When discussing these things you have to understand people like Fauci would rather there be nothing than anything, meaning, the contagion would be easier to deal with on a macro level if there is no activity whatsoever going on in the country.

Hearing from them they're always going to be overly cautious & highly alarmist, whether they are correct in that line of thinking remains to be seen, but they are simply looking at it from a health & hospital overrun standpoint. They just want to get it contained & to have less & less people being forced on the healthcare system, so if that means sports & everything else must be sacrificed in the process then so be it (according to them).

South Korea is already playing Baseball again, if America can't figure out how to continue organized live sports before 2020 is over then we've seriously failed as a Union. Covid-19 ain't going away until there's a cure, so we either need to shutdown for the rest of the year & go on a full Martial-Law style Quarantine or just accept the fact the virus is here to stay & move on accordingly.
Well said.

Advertisement
Pretty easy to see the writing on the wall of how this is going to go.

Conservative states, for the most part, will be re-opening and they'll push to play football, albeit without fans.

Liberal states are going to continue to stay closed, or open much slower than the conservative states, and probably won't see much football this fall.

Bottom line, the SEC is going to play. Almost certainly with no fans, but they're playing at some point this upcoming school year. Other states and conferences, not nearly as much.

As I said earlier in the thread, at some point in the next year, there will be college football played in this country. But not at every FBS school...maybe half might be a good guess? And there will not be fans at capacity, and probably not even in any percentage.

"just accept the fact the virus is here to stay & move on accordingly."

This 100%.
The best thing people can do is learn how to live with it. Adjust accordingly. I don't understand how people can think we can stay shutdown until there is a vaccine. Here is a fact....there is a chance that will never happen. There has never been a vaccine successfully developed for any of the other corona viruses. Maybe the additional preasure will lead to one but its wont be for a long while.
Its not a binary choice. Learn to live with it because that's reality. Pay attention to the hospitalization rate (don't want the system overwhelmed) Pay attention to the mortality rate (make sure its still under 2%). Those two things are way more important than number of cases and daily death numbers. JMO
This is the most rational take in this thread. We need leaders who can implement a plan that carefully weighs the risks of re-opening. We can't stay locked down forever, but we absolutely should maintain measures so that the hospital system doesn't get overwhelmed.

Advertisement
Ain't nobody nowhere said anything about continuing the shutdown indefinitely.

Fauci, Birx, and other federal officials put out guidance on how/when to open up. E.g., sustained decreases in new cases and deaths for 2 weeks, testing, contact tracing.

States (mostly R states) are not paying attention to those benchmarks.

Bad example. Georgia and the states that are opening up aren’t seeing a difference.

If it was up to Fauci, we'd all live in the Matrix and no one would ever get so much as a cut. This guy is a fascist wearing the mask of medicine and science.
Right this guy wants to stay shutdown forever until there is a vaccine that people aren't going to even get

The fact that no state has met the 14 day decline should give us pause. What this means is that Covid-19 will continue to rise as states open up their economies and they already have in 16 states.

We can't stay shut down forever, but I fear we're not prepared for what may come. We'll know in a month or two how things are playing out. I'd expect a decision to be made on football by the 1st of July if not sooner.

Not to be Jonny raincloud, but I just don't see this thing panning out for the Fall because in the short time that states have reopened, people are going back to their pre Covid-19 routines. I guess it's human nature, but nothing has occurred that people can just return to normal like nothing ever happened. The virus hasn't left. We don't have a vaccine. If we're going to be successful during this pandemic, we have to act responsibility or this whole thing won't work resulting in no football or any other sport for that matter.
Thank you Dr. Fauci....

Advertisement
i hate to break all the little girl's hearts but life is going to continue. You can run and hide in fear or take a proactive approach...

1. Colleges will have on campus classes. Going a year without would make people think about what exactly they're spending $70k/year on.

2. People are ****ed about being cooped up with nothing to now, it will get worse. Expect a new joie de vivre as people start going out.
The thing is without an effective plan and execution of that plan, the virus could spread like a brush fire. We see the virus has hit the White House and they test people every day. What is going to happen when businesses and college campuses that don't/can't test workers and students?

I have a son in college and my nephew will be a freshman at Iowa this year. I think most schools will offer online classes and make class attendance optional to limit the number of students in the classroom. The schools can require masks be worn on campus.

All this can be done, but it won't stop the virus because college students will gather. It's what they do. They'll have parties and the like spreading the virus sround campus and into the local communities. There's no way a bunch of 18-22 year olds are going to follow all the guidelines. Mature adults don't even do it.

I don't know how college campuses are going to be able to stay open. I could see parents telling their kids to come home or the state governments forcing them to shut the campuses down.

I just see this thing getting worse.

Advertisement
Back