Protecting the OT's

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I had an observation while rewatching the UF game. Every time that Feleipe Franks made a successful throw to a WR, his TE (#84) stayed back to block. This was the case for both PI calls and the long pass to Josh Hammond. Every other time, Franks either:

- got hit
- threw a quick pass to his backs
- rushed an incompletion
- threw an INT

This excludes the play where the officials blew a false start call and the Miami DL stood around and watched him pitch and catch to Hammond.

The Gators knew they had OL issues and schemed accordingly. They were limited but did just enough to win.

Meanwhile, I only saw two plays where our TE's helped the OT's. In the first half, Brevin Jordan chipped the **** out of the RDE and allowed Jarren Williams to step up in that direction and deliver a third and long dart to Jeff Thomas. The other time, in the fourth quarter, Brevin stayed back and allowed Jarren to hit KJ Osborn for a first down. It’s surprising we didn’t see this more often.

Another way we could’ve helped our OT's was by running the ball. Both guys are more comfortable run blocking (watch John Campbell on Deejay’s two Wildcat runs) and the team was running effectively. When you exclude Jarren, the team ran for 131 yards on 22 carries. They were really getting going late on the Cam run that got called back and another Cam run where Gaynor pancaked the DT. It seemed we were about to break through before pass protection and penalties put us behind the sticks.

I came away from the rewatch more encouraged with Zion Nelson than Campbell, although they were both terrible. Zion’s problem is that he is the last OL off the snap. That’s not a physical thing (he’s the twitchiest guy on the line) and it usually gets better with experience. Tyree St. Louis is an example of a guy who really struggled off the snap as a young player. But for the time being, it is a huge problem. I would give Scaife increased snaps during the bye week as an insurance policy for both guys.

Advertisement
I noticed something while rewatching the game.

Every time that Franks made a successful throw to a WR, his TE (#84) stayed back to block. This was the case for both PI calls and the long pass to Swain. Every other time, Franks either:

- got hit
- rushed an incomplete
- threw an INT

This excludes the play where the officials blew a false start call and our DL stood around and watched him pitch and catch to Hammond.

The Gators knew they had OL issues and schemed accordingly. They were limited but did just enough to win.

Meanwhile, I only saw two plays where Miami helped its OTs. In the first half, Brevin chipped the **** out of the RDE and allowed Jarren to step up in that direction and deliver a third and long dart to Jeff Thomas. The other time, in the fourth quarter, Brevin stayed back and allowed Jarren to hit Osborn for a first down. It’s surprising we didn’t see this more often.

Another way we could’ve helped our OTs was by running the ball. Both guys are more comfortable run blocking (watch Campbell on Deejay’s two Wildcat runs) and the team was running effectively. When you exclude Jarren, the team ran for 131 yards on 22 carries. They were really getting going late on the Cam run that got called back and another Cam run where Gaynor pancaked the DT. It seemed we were about to break through before pass protection and penalties put us behind the sticks.

I came away from the rewatch more encouraged with Zion than Campbell, although they were both terrible. Zion’s problem is that he is the last OL off the snap. That’s not a physical thing (he’s the twitchiest guy on the line) and it usually gets better with experience. Tyree St. Louis is an example of a guy who used to really struggled off the snap as a young player. But for the time being, it is a huge problem. I would give Scaife increased snaps during the bye week as an insurance policy for both guys.
Do we slide Reed in at RG if Scaife switches to either tackle spot?

Also, why do you think they didn't leave Brevin in to block more or bring Irvin out to help?

I thought there was a lot of good in Enos's game plan, especially early on. And like some of the diff looks he gave...

I do kinda agree with D-Money that he didn't scheme well enough around a bad offensive line...I'm also surprised we didn't substitute just a little here and there on the O-line. And I think that showed the last 4-5 minutes of the game when we went from bad ol play to some of the ugliest pass protection you will ever see in a major cfb game.

This is not a team built for a comeback...They were dead even with Florida until the clock became a factor and they HAD to throw. UM, at this point, (will improve SOMEWHAT as season goes if we stay healthy, which is a big if) just can't play this year when teams can pin their ears back. It looked like men vs. boys at that point after being an even slugfest for 55 minutes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The motions and shifts were working early on. It just feels like we went away from it a little bit due to the offense lining up to the ball late getting pre snap or delay of game penalties. Seemed like they stopped doing that after those kept piling up in addition to barely getting the ball off as the clock seemed like it kept running . We need to clean that up for sure in terms of getting the play and lining up so we can do the motions and shifts presnap.

Last edited:

Every time that Franks made a successful throw to a WR, his TE (#84) stayed back to block. This was the case for both PI calls and the long pass to Swain. Every other time, Franks either:

- got hit
- rushed an incomplete
- threw an INT

This excludes the play where the officials blew a false start call and our DL stood around and watched him pitch and catch to Hammond.

Meanwhile, I only saw two plays where Miami helped its OTs. In the first half, Brevin chipped the **** out of the RDE and allowed Jarren to step up in that direction and deliver a third and long dart to Jeff Thomas. The other time, in the fourth quarter, Brevin stayed back and allowed Jarren to hit Osborn for a first down. It’s surprising we didn’t see this more often.

Another way we could’ve helped our OTs was by running the ball. Both guys are more comfortable run blocking (watch Campbell on Deejay’s two Wildcat runs) and the team was running effectively. When you exclude Jarren, the team ran for 131 yards on 22 carries. They were really getting going late on the Cam run that got called back and another Cam run where Gaynor pancaked the DT. It seemed we were about to break through before pass protection and penalties put us behind the sticks.

I came away from the rewatch more encouraged with Zion than Campbell, although they were both terrible. Zion’s problem is that he is the last OL off the snap. That’s not a physical thing (he’s the twitchiest guy on the line) and it usually gets better with experience. Tyree St. Louis is an example of a guy who used to really struggled off the snap as a young player. But for the time being, it is a huge problem. I would give Scaife increased snaps during the bye week as an insurance policy for both guys.

I think one of the issues is that Brevin was our top receiving threat.

It’s difficult to leave him into block when he provides the best mismatch.

As for Mallory, he seemed to struggle overall.

What's wrong with you people? Like Joe Shmoe on a message board is better than a premierly paid OC. Let's wait a bit. It's literally ONE GAME at this point. Let's see what the man has.

What he had was 9 months to script a dynamite set of plays (those were some nice plays) and then formulate some type of contingency plan for two obviously overmatched OTs. He never did get around to the latter. On our final drive there was no earthly reason for not helping those OTs. The guy's a dolt.

Advertisement
What he had was 9 months to script a dynamite set of plays (those were some nice plays) and then formulate some type of contingency plan for two obviously overmatched OTs. He never did get around to the latter. On our final drive there was no earthly reason for not helping those OTs. The guy's a dolt.
What’s a “dolt”..

Advertisement
Thank god we heard on every podcast for 8 months that we stole "Bama's hand picked OC" and hit a homerun with a NFL Oline coach.
Don’t try to hit them with numbers of his offenses. They’ll just cherrypick #’s that reflect whatever they want to believe. I think we’ll be okay because we play weak comp but hiring a guy that still runs 3 TE sets?

- got hit
- rushed an incomplete
- threw an INT

The coaches not adjusting to the pressure is the most concerning thing about the game in my opinion. As you pointed out the few times they tried it actually worked. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

What's wrong with you people? Like Joe Shmoe on a message board is better than a premierly paid OC. Let's wait a bit. It's literally ONE GAME at this point. Let's see what the man has.

NOPE been there done that with whipple nix coley richt NOPE NOPE NOPE

When you see fans on a message board spotting things that uber simple and see no adjustment, something IS WRONG.

Things like:

well zion nelson has given up 6 sacks, better not try anyone else!
well zion nelson and campbell are having trouble blocking anything in front of them.. let's call some PLAY ACTION BABY!! Forget some dig routes, some RPO's, some... anything you'd see in a spread offense. NOPE

Where's the tempo at to get these guys confident and moving when you can't even break the **** HUDDLE WITH MORE THAN 7 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK?

I'm not giving up on enos yet but you guys should have your eyes checked if you're not a little bit concerned. That man enos got fcking DESTROYED in the 2nd half by grantham's defensive adjustments. We had THIRTY FOUR YARDS of total offense in the second half I read somewhere.

Even worse than enos is a guy i'm not seeing mentioned ANYWHERE and that's butch barry. Remember when searles had to luck into the correct starting line up? I'm thinking barry might be on that same plane of thought. This dude should have NEVER EVER had a TF as the starting LT. No reason none whatsoever that scaife shouldn't have been on one of the tackle spots.

Maybe after the 19th sack by both the tackles MAYBE you try moving some pieces around? Enos wasn't helping with the play calling whatsoever, you telling me irvin couldn't get out there and chip him?

He promised us jt4 would touch the ball a lot more, DIDN'T HAPPEN
How many reps did hightower and a lot of other wide outs even get?

Way way wayyy too many mistakes but go ahead board tell me i'm in full meltdown mode and everythings gonna be okay..

Advertisement
I’m excited about Enos. Just pointing something out with the benefit of hindsight. He’s probably asking himself the same questions.
He should be having Zion and Campbell pushing the sled-110s after practice on Monday..you can’t expect to max pro on every drop back and expect to somehow have dynamic passing attack options against a very good UF defensive backfield..we made 92 and that kid from Louisville look like jj watt and Lawrence Taylor..then they rotated in von Miller..it was ridiculous..i thought Enos called a good game given the circumstances of the game..but if the oline gonna play like this Idgaf who the OC is, we will have tough stretches

Don’t try to hit them with numbers of his offenses. They’ll just cherrypick #’s that reflect whatever they want to believe. I think we’ll be okay because we play weak comp but hiring a guy that still runs 3 TE sets?
That's a Gator team that probably ends the year 8-4 at best. If Enos needs weaker comp to put up points, might as well give him back to Saban now and save us all some trouble.

I'm not absolving Enos of critique but there's also a point where scheming is irrelevant if the NFL's own Butch Barry couldn't patch together his group to play at anything near even a mediocre level.

And I only really make the snide remark about Barry's "pedigree" because it seems like everyone is piling on Enos' inability to mask an entire o-line.

They have a week off before UNC and then 5 straight home games. Hopefully by Game 7 we're seeing that both Enos and Barry just needed live game action and more time to improve the offense and get the o-line to begin to gel. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back