Proposal for FBS Football to Leave the NCAA

Advertisement
If the argument is to "protect" players from joining the league at 18, you're 100% oppressing the 18 year olds that can hang in the NFL. Why do that? Not saying you are. But it's funny how the motive of protecting young players actually oppresses young players that can play in the NFL.

As for paying other sports, like you said, swimmers, divers, golf.. They just wouldn't be paid as much is what I'm arguing for. ****, they might not even get paid. Better said, If a college sport cannot maintain itself with it's own revenue, it shouldn't exist. At that point, it should be a "club" team; sponsored by the students themselves.

Sometimes you have to create laws, rules or policies to protect the many even if it hurts the few.

Some kids are more than capable of driving at 14 but laws don't allow it until 16. Why are those kids punished? Because most 14 year old kids would crash the car and/or kill someone. Drinking (21) and gambling (18-21)?

Many things in life aren't fair - you have to make choices along the way for yourself. No matter how smart a person may be, they can't be a doctor without undergrad, med school, and residency.....which can take 10-14 years. Do you think some are capable much earlier, especially if doing less critical non-surgical specialties? Probably. Can they? No. Most people can't get jobs in their field without a college diploma. So they must all attend an overpriced school, take classes in things they'll never use again, all for a piece of paper in order to apply for most jobs. Fair? Their choice?

You put most HS seniors on the field with grown NFL men and it would be ugly. Many top players struggle to make the transition. The NFL is a company and has the right to put rules in place to ensure the quality of service they provide is up to their standard and the players are qualified......just like requiring a diploma or certification. Is there added risk because they put their body at risk? Absolutely. But ultimately that choice is up to the individual.

And the premise of college sports shouldn't exist if their own revenue can't support it? Well i guess we should do away with every public service that provides something to those who can't afford it themselves....medical, food, housing, etc. I mean if people can't support themselves it's on them right? Maybe instead of paying into a pool for medical we should just pay everything out of pocket, unregulated. Don't worry, we'll collect a GoFundMe if you ever need surgery.

The separation among CFB Playoff conferences is where college sports has been going for several years now. The Knight. Commission just finally said what we all knew was coming. Major programs will set up their own conferences in a semi-professional setting, and the other programs will be relegated to nothing. This is the final step before college athletes are paid

The separation among CFB Playoff conferences is where college sports has been going for several years now. The Knight. Commission just finally said what we all knew was coming. Major programs will set up their own conferences in a semi-professional setting, and the other programs will be relegated to nothing. This is the final step before college athletes are paid

If this happens and advertisers and tv deals are made, college basketball will follow. Wont they eventually will have to break from the schools themselves? I don’t see how they maintain that relationship with the school, if the ultimate goal is to stop subsidizing non-revenue sports and to pay the players. I assume they could reach a licensing agreement with the schools, but then they’d make them rent their stadiums etc. It just all seems way too complicated to ever happen.

And how will college athletes be paid? Is there going to be a fair, and equitable amount across colleges, or are the ones w the deeper pockets going to completely annihilate any other P5 school who don’t have such at their disposal?

Advertisement
Sometimes you have to create laws, rules or policies to protect the many even if it hurts the few.

Some kids are more than capable of driving at 14 but laws don't allow it until 16. Why are those kids punished? Because most 14 year old kids would crash the car and/or kill someone. Drinking (21) and gambling (18-21)?

Many things in life aren't fair - you have to make choices along the way for yourself. No matter how smart a person may be, they can't be a doctor without undergrad, med school, and residency.....which can take 10-14 years. Do you think some are capable much earlier, especially if doing less critical non-surgical specialties? Probably. Can they? No. Most people can't get jobs in their field without a college diploma. So they must all attend an overpriced school, take classes in things they'll never use again, all for a piece of paper in order to apply for most jobs. Fair? Their choice?

You put most HS seniors on the field with grown NFL men and it would be ugly. Many top players struggle to make the transition. The NFL is a company and has the right to put rules in place to ensure the quality of service they provide is up to their standard and the players are qualified......just like requiring a diploma or certification. Is there added risk because they put their body at risk? Absolutely. But ultimately that choice is up to the individual.

And the premise of college sports shouldn't exist if their own revenue can't support it? Well i guess we should do away with every public service that provides something to those who can't afford it themselves....medical, food, housing, etc. I mean if people can't support themselves it's on them right? Maybe instead of paying into a pool for medical we should just pay everything out of pocket, unregulated. Don't worry, we'll collect a GoFundMe if you ever need surgery.

I gotta shotgun some **** since you just did:

1. Taxation is theft.
2. Don’t act like the NFL can’t create a preseason league for 24 y/o and under players.
3. 18 year olds are massive these days.From DB to OL, these kids are more ready year by year.
4. Society needs some basic services, but basing a billion dollar industry off the rules and basis of public universities ... no.
5. Most regulation creates more issues than solves. The NCAA is the poster child of this. What a lovely season we’re having right? :)

On point.

Just use your eyes and look at the physical development of players from their freshman to senior years. It's pretty freakish at times. It isn't just strength, nutrition, and condition either, but most 18 year olds are still developing physiologically. You don't really hit your prime until roughly 25 to 28, give or take a year. That's true in most sports if you're grinding out there trying to hone your craft.
Yep.

There has never been a player ready for the NFL right out of high school. F-what anybody says about Orlando Pace, Randy Moss, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, to name a few. The problem is not only physical development, which everyone agrees would be an 18-year old’s liability. Does anyone believe a high school kid could mentally jump into the deep water of being an NFL player 24/7?

Facts; and I what I don’t get, and here’s the irony:

When we play football, like THESE MIAMI HURRICANES.....when we get blown off the ball by Team A, THESE FANS have used the excuse, for YEARS, that we’re too young! Lol. During the Wisconsin game where J Taylor had 300+ yards on us, fans were asking ‘how can u expect Freshman & Sophomores compete with Wisconsin’s He’s & Sr’s??’ Yet, I’m reading the NFL should allow a kid to skip college & play PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL?? LMAO.

Bruh; when ppl want to make points, their logic go out the door.

And speaking of the NBA; here’s a fun fact:

The reason y they started making players spend at least one yr out of high school before entering the NBA, was due to the **** poor product High Schoolers were giving the NBA. Yes there was the outlier of LBJ, but even then we had to witness his growing pains for the first couple of yrs. Same w Kobe, McGrady, and KG. Ppl literally stopped watching basketball b/c they were tired of the sloppy product.

Like you said; psychologically & physically, u don’t hit ur prime ‘til you’re about 25, which is y ppl, til this day, consider the glory days of basketball to be during the 80’s & 90’s b/c grown men were facing young adults, not teenagers.

But at least w basketball, u can get away w/ being 18-19 playing against someone that’s 25+....u absolutely cannot get away w/ that in The NFL. Kids would literally get broken in half, and then we’ll be hearing from Mom’s Against Violent Sports!
Nothing like a team of paraplegics to bring back competitive balance apparently... 🤯🤕🧑‍🦽🧑‍🦼🤷

Advertisement
I don’t think title IX is as big a concern in this instance. the way around that is to 100% privately fund all of fbs. The only thing that holds schools to title IX is accepting pell grants and applying for financial aide, all players do this.

If this happens and advertisers and tv deals are made, college basketball will follow. Wont they eventually will have to break from the schools themselves? I don’t see how they maintain that relationship with the school, if the ultimate goal is to stop subsidizing non-revenue sports and to pay the players. I assume they could reach a licensing agreement with the schools, but then they’d make them rent their stadiums etc. It just all seems way too complicated to ever happen.
Why? The way NIL should work is on an individual basis. Say we’re back in 2002, Dorsey gets a Nike deal, Willis does commercials for a clothing brand ST gets a Gatorade deal all managed by a marketing firm via a contract with athletic department. That’s how it should work my guess is it’ll be much stricter.

The biggest benefit the vast majority of college football players get is the FREE education. How about not worrying about how quickly the small percentage that will make it to the NFL take to get there?
Ain't nothing free about it. They are working for their university.

Advertisement
Why? The way NIL should work is on an individual basis. Say we’re back in 2002, Dorsey gets a Nike deal, Willis does commercials for a clothing brand ST gets a Gatorade deal all managed by a marketing firm via a contract with athletic department. That’s how it should work my guess is it’ll be much stricter.

I am commenting on the new “commission to leave the NCAA.” You’re talking about funding individuals via NIL.

How are they gonna pay for this new organization without tv deals, advertisers/sponsors? Who’s gonna pay the coaches? Why would universities let them use their facilities and equipment if they aren’t getting paid off of it?

What you’re describing is the only way players can get paid that would work, which is why I’m still looking for an answer if this new thing gets any traction.

I am commenting on the new “commission to leave the NCAA.” You’re talking about funding individuals via NIL.

How are they gonna pay for this new organization without tv deals, advertisers/sponsors? Who’s gonna pay the coaches? Why would universities let them use their facilities and equipment if they aren’t getting paid off of it?

What you’re describing is the only way players can get paid that would work, which is why I’m still looking for an answer if this new thing gets any traction.
My bad rough morning, I don't see the power five schools leaving the FBS but what can happen is name image and likeness doesn't get bogged down by the NCAA I think that would go a long way to solving why some schools would want to "Leave." The TV deals would be negotiated with each conference with the idea that nonconference games would be much better so there would be more money in each deal. NCAA never had that TV football money to begin with. I don't understand what you mean by the universities not getting paid off of it. The school isn't leaving the NCAA only the football program.

Advertisement
My bad rough morning, I don't see the power five schools leaving the FBS but what can happen is name image and likeness doesn't get bogged down by the NCAA I think that would go a long way to solving why some schools would want to "Leave." The TV deals would be negotiated with each conference with the idea that nonconference games would be much better so there would be more money in each deal. NCAA never had that TV football money to begin with. I don't understand what you mean by the universities not getting paid off of it. The school isn't leaving the NCAA only the football program.

In an earlier post I asked a question about Title 9. If it’s federal law, how can schools get away with the scholarship differences if football revenue doesn’t support non revenue sports, bc it’s going to players and fully supporting itself. They’d have to cut 10 teams to pay for football. If they are in violation of title 9 they wouldn’t be eligible for federal and/or state subsidies. That would mean coaching staff salaries would be paid out of the schools pocket or purely boosters. I’m not a lawyer so I’m genuinely wondering how that would work.

It’s a lot more complicated than they make it seem. I just don’t see how it’s feasible for a college to pay for football and not have it cover other programs.

It’s not complicated if you pay athletes via name image and likeness that would apply to any scholarship athlete. That money would come from the entity not the school.

Advertisement
Back