Proposal for FBS Football to Leave the NCAA

I really would like to understand the history of "Why?" it is like it is.

Just because, from the outside looking in, it's fishy.

I agree. They are conspiring against the players. Just in football though.

Or, maybe they are trying to keep a 17 or 18 year old kid from getting seriously injured. People talk on here about how many kids aren't ready to play because they aren't fully developed for college game yet they should be allowed to get put in front of Khalil Mack. Ok. You pay football players you are also paying the swimmers, divers, golf team, etc. Yeah, that won't be happening.

Baseball and Basketball aren't as physical and most baseball players go to the minors first. Football doesn't have minor leagues unless you are counting college football and they are at least soon to be getting paid for their likeness so that is a positive step.

Kids don't need to accept the scholarship offer for football. They are free to simply go to college, get their degree, and then join the workforce. Take out the college loan though and it isn't cheap.

Advertisement
I agree. They are conspiring against the players. Just in football though.

Or, maybe they are trying to keep a 17 or 18 year old kid from getting seriously injured. People talk on here about how many kids aren't ready to play because they aren't fully developed for college game yet they should be allowed to get put in front of Khalil Mack. Ok. You pay football players you are also paying the swimmers, divers, golf team, etc. Yeah, that won't be happening.

Baseball and Basketball aren't as physical and most baseball players go to the minors first. Football doesn't have minor leagues unless you are counting college football and they are at least soon to be getting paid for their likeness so that is a positive step.

Kids don't need to accept the scholarship offer for football. They are free to simply go to college, get their degree, and then join the workforce. Take out the college loan though and it isn't cheap.

If the argument is to "protect" players from joining the league at 18, you're 100% oppressing the 18 year olds that can hang in the NFL. Why do that? Not saying you are. But it's funny how the motive of protecting young players actually oppresses young players that can play in the NFL.

As for paying other sports, like you said, swimmers, divers, golf.. They just wouldn't be paid as much is what I'm arguing for. ****, they might not even get paid. Better said, If a college sport cannot maintain itself with it's own revenue, it shouldn't exist. At that point, it should be a "club" team; sponsored by the students themselves.

Interesting take here, never heard of this group before. Curious as to what you guys think of it, if you've had the chance to read it.

Long coming...

NFL farm league next stop.

I played both football and baseball. Different skill set and physical requirements. I don’t believe 18 year olds are physically ready for the NFL. Look at the physical changes that take place in football players when they get involved in college training programs. The NFL is not going to wait a year or 2 for a player to be physically ready straight out of HS.

It works -- for the NFL.

It doesn't work for the players.

Stash them to develop them? Are you a football fan? A sports fan? It's common throughout sports to "stash" a player my guy. Do you follow The Patriots? They do this every year with rookies under the guise of the injured reserve.
I can safely say I follow more sports than 99% of the people on this board.

It's common to 'stash' players, yes. However, the owner of said player wants them to play games to aid their development, hence Minor League Baseball or the loan system in 'soccer'.

Also, **** the Patriots.

Advertisement
If the argument is to "protect" players from joining the league at 18, you're 100% oppressing the 18 year olds that can hang in the NFL. Why do that? Not saying you are. But it's funny how the motive of protecting young players actually oppresses young players that can play in the NFL.

As for paying other sports, like you said, swimmers, divers, golf.. They just wouldn't be paid as much is what I'm arguing for. ****, they might not even get paid. Better said, If a college sport cannot maintain itself with it's own revenue, it shouldn't exist. At that point, it should be a "club" team; sponsored by the students themselves.
Title IX be damned? good luck it won't happen. As a parent to a D1 soccer player I can tell you she didn't take the beating football players took but it was every bit the "job" with lots of time and travel invested. She earned every one of her yellow cards.

Oppressing 18 year old kids? I don't care either way I was just offering suggestions as to why the NFL doesn't allow it and outside of maybe a QB who wears a non contact jersey during real games anyhow those kids aren't physically ready for the NFL.

Kids are not "oppressed" as they are free to accept a scholarship or not. If they don't I am sure there is a 1 star waiting for the opportunity. Maybe you offer them money or the education but they must sign a 3 year contract? I am all into options.

Lol;

Since my boy @dsddcane was a former 1st round pick, I’ll let him chime in further about this.

However; do you know why The NFL/NFLPA want a kid to be 3 yrs removed from high school before entering the draft? B/c they don’t want to be sued for kids getting absolutely wrecked. Football is not like basketball. It is thee most physically imposing sport out there. I once played in a LAPD pick up league at 19 yrs old. Getting smoked by a 25 yr old, grown swoll man, was way different than getting cracked by some 17 yr old.

And being that the NFL avg career length is 3.3 yrs, they have no time to wait for a teenager to come of age. It is not a developmental league, it is a NOW league.

Colleges spend tons of money into their football programs, even the weak ones. Go peep a AFL, XFL, or the new Spring League and go see the development & game play of those games & compare it to college. I know in theory it seems unfair to hold a kid back from playing professional football, but it’s a totally different beast, that even some of the most built 4yr college kids struggle w/, initially.

Title IX be damned? good luck it won't happen. As a parent to a D1 soccer player I can tell you she didn't take the beating football players took but it was every bit the "job" with lots of time and travel invested. She earned every one of her yellow cards.

Oppressing 18 year old kids? I don't care either way I was just offering suggestions as to why the NFL doesn't allow it and outside of maybe a QB who wears a non contact jersey during real games anyhow those kids aren't physically ready for the NFL.

Kids are not "oppressed" as they are free to accept a scholarship or not. If they don't I am sure there is a 1 star waiting for the opportunity. Maybe you offer them money or the education but they must sign a 3 year contract? I am all into options.
Dang bro; wish I would’ve saw this b4 posting. Lol. U r spot on.

Advertisement
I am a bit puzzled by that last paragraph. Why would this new group go to the NCAA for anything? To me they may give them a bunch of crappy advice to discourage them from organizing. I mean if this group were to come to fruition and would eliminate all the crooked NCAA mess and how they turn a blind eye to the schools they love, go for it.
The way things typically work, one crooked organization is replaced by a more crooked organization.

The biggest benefit the vast majority of college football players get is the FREE education. How about not worrying about how quickly the small percentage that will make it to the NFL take to get there?
Scholarship players don't get a free education, they TRADE their talent for an education. If it was free, all non-athletes would be in school.

Title 9 is a federal law correct? If football leaves the NCAA and no longer supports non-revenue sports, wouldnt that be in violation of title 9? Would that make public schools ineligible for federal subsidies? Just football or all sports? For example states would no longer pay any of the coaches or football staff’s salaries.

Advertisement
NFL EUROPE need to be a thing again.

Or the XFL to be legitimate.

If that were to happen there would be chances for some guys not wanting to do college to head to europe for a year or 2 and then come in nfl draft

I am a bit puzzled by that last paragraph. Why would this new group go to the NCAA for anything? To me they may give them a bunch of crappy advice to discourage them from organizing. I mean if this group were to come to fruition and would eliminate all the crooked NCAA mess and how they turn a blind eye to the schools they love, go for it.

When there's money involved, there's always going to be corruption. The next thing could be worse than the current thing. Nothing is ever perfect.

All this NCAA and poor me stuff is silly. We have been our worst enemy, not the NCAA or even the ACC. Us, simply us.

Also, contrary to a lot of opinions here, the NCAA has been good to a lot of collegiate athletes and sports in general. You take football out, do the other sports fold?

If that were to happen there would be chances for some guys not wanting to do college to head to europe for a year or 2 and then come in nfl draft

That would just water down the sport. Kind of how college basketball is these days with some opting out and the one and done players.

Advertisement
Lol;

Since my boy @dsddcane was a former 1st round pick, I’ll let him chime in further about this.

However; do you know why The NFL/NFLPA want a kid to be 3 yrs removed from high school before entering the draft? B/c they don’t want to be sued for kids getting absolutely wrecked. Football is not like basketball. It is thee most physically imposing sport out there. I once played in a LAPD pick up league at 19 yrs old. Getting smoked by a 25 yr old, grown swoll man, was way different than getting cracked by some 17 yr old.

And being that the NFL avg career length is 3.3 yrs, they have no time to wait for a teenager to come of age. It is not a developmental league, it is a NOW league.

Colleges spend tons of money into their football programs, even the weak ones. Go peep a AFL, XFL, or the new Spring League and go see the development & game play of those games & compare it to college. I know in theory it seems unfair to hold a kid back from playing professional football, but it’s a totally different beast, that even some of the most built 4yr college kids struggle w/, initially.

On point.

Just use your eyes and look at the physical development of players from their freshman to senior years. It's pretty freakish at times. It isn't just strength, nutrition, and condition either, but most 18 year olds are still developing physiologically. You don't really hit your prime until roughly 25 to 28, give or take a year. That's true in most sports if you're grinding out there trying to hone your craft.

On point.

Just use your eyes and look at the physical development of players from their freshman to senior years. It's pretty freakish at times. It isn't just strength, nutrition, and condition either, but most 18 year olds are still developing physiologically. You don't really hit your prime until roughly 25 to 28, give or take a year. That's true in most sports if you're grinding out there trying to hone your craft.
Facts; and I what I don’t get, and here’s the irony:

When we play football, like THESE MIAMI HURRICANES.....when we get blown off the ball by Team A, THESE FANS have used the excuse, for YEARS, that we’re too young! Lol. During the Wisconsin game where J Taylor had 300+ yards on us, fans were asking ‘how can u expect Freshman & Sophomores compete with Wisconsin’s He’s & Sr’s??’ Yet, I’m reading the NFL should allow a kid to skip college & play PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL?? LMAO.

Bruh; when ppl want to make points, their logic go out the door.

And speaking of the NBA; here’s a fun fact:

The reason y they started making players spend at least one yr out of high school before entering the NBA, was due to the **** poor product High Schoolers were giving the NBA. Yes there was the outlier of LBJ, but even then we had to witness his growing pains for the first couple of yrs. Same w Kobe, McGrady, and KG. Ppl literally stopped watching basketball b/c they were tired of the sloppy product.

Like you said; psychologically & physically, u don’t hit ur prime ‘til you’re about 25, which is y ppl, til this day, consider the glory days of basketball to be during the 80’s & 90’s b/c grown men were facing young adults, not teenagers.

But at least w basketball, u can get away w/ being 18-19 playing against someone that’s 25+....u absolutely cannot get away w/ that in The NFL. Kids would literally get broken in half, and then we’ll be hearing from Mom’s Against Violent Sports!

I liked NFL Europe; but even then, it was kids from college who didn’t get drafted or ex NFL players looking to make a comeback that went over seas & played. It still wasn’t teenagers v. grown men.

Advertisement
Back