Proof of Randomness in College Baseball

Advertisement
Here is more damning evidence:

EVERY team that Morris lost to between 2009 and 2014 went to the World Series that year.

Your vaunted LSU lost to STONY BROOK, who also went to the World Series that year.

The years that Morris lost, he lost to a superior squad. Stony Brook went to Omaha. STONY BROOK.........

There is ZERO chance that you are a fan. Do you realize how poorly football performed since 2003. You want to fire Morris? That is akin to removing Larranaga because of his age.

No, Virginia made it to the championship series in back to back seasons, and they have the best record in all of college baseball in the last decade.

They don't have the best record in all of college baseball. They have the best regular season record as you were careful to say.

What I did prove is that the best teams by your definition (regular season accomplishments) are the same teams that have success in Omaha, with the exception of Louisville and Miami.

No you didn't since Virginia wasn't one of the best teams in 2015! They won almost half of their total number of Omaha games in a season where they clearly weren't one of the best teams.

Without that one season you're entire argument would collapse.

Advertisement
How does a team's record during a decade translate to a Championship during a down year.

This is where he struggles.

He says that the best teams win in Omaha and then his main example is a program who saw one of their worst teams of that period win the national championship.

The issue has always been that we can't translate that to post-season success.

Which is an absurd claim since we've basically played to our seed in all but about two seasons in Jim Morris' tenure.

Well, it's not a claim. It's a fact. If we're a 3 seed and we go 1-2, that is certainly "playing to our seed", but it still isn't post-season success.

It's not really a badge of honor to say "we never win all that much because in most years we weren't supposed to win". Uh, congratulations?

Here is more damning evidence:

EVERY team that Morris lost to between 2009 and 2014 went to the World Series that year.

This is false from the beginning. We lost to Missouri State in 2012. We lost to Oklahoma State in 2013. They didn't go to Omaha. Get your facts right.

Advertisement
No, Virginia made it to the championship series in back to back seasons, and they have the best record in all of college baseball in the last decade.

They don't have the best record in all of college baseball. They have the best regular season record as you were careful to say.

Right, because that was the discussion. I made the claim that the best teams over the decade also had the most wins in Omaha in that decade. Of course you would only use the regular season record to make that claim.

More damning evidence..............

UCLA - Missed tournament in 2014, 2016 and no Omaha since 2013. Worse than UM clearly.
Fresno - Missed tournament in 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Coastal - Made Omaha ONCE and won it on a FLUKE.
South Carolina - Lost in regaionals in 2014, 2015, 2017. HAve NOT BEEN TO OMAHA SINCE 2012...........
Vanderbilt - No Omaha since 2015. Won in 2015 and second in 2014. You are right - they are in the midst of 2 down years not 4.

What I did prove is that the best teams by your definition (regular season accomplishments) are the same teams that have success in Omaha, with the exception of Louisville and Miami.

No you didn't since Virginia wasn't one of the best teams in 2015! They won almost half of their total number of Omaha games in a season where they clearly weren't one of the best teams.

Without that one season you're entire argument would collapse.

**your

The best teams of the decade are also the teams that win the most games in Omaha. Throw as many darts as you want, but it's just a numerical fact.

Well, it's not a claim. It's a fact. If we're a 3 seed and we go 1-2, that is certainly "playing to our seed", but it still isn't post-season success.

It's a minor point and I don't particularly care because we didn't advance out of the regional (which is the point). But in that case the number of years playing below seed goes from 2 (2012 and 2014) to 4 (2007, 2012-14).

Once again your numbers hurt your argument.

Advertisement
How does a team's record during a decade translate to a Championship during a down year.

This is where he struggles.

He says that the best teams win in Omaha and then his main example is a program who saw one of their worst teams of that period win the national championship.

See this is where you resort back to being a historian. That Virginia team was far from one of their worst teams. They went through some early turmoil, then obviously put it all together just like they did the year before.

Brian O-Connor has said multiple times that it was a mental thing they went through that year. The talent was still there. Obviously.

You are lying... as usual........

In 2012, we lost 10-2 to Stony Brook. Leaarn to use google. That put us in an elimination game. [Useless to discuss the odds of winning a regional after losing the 1st game.]

Another lie.....

We lost to Louisville 6-4 in 2013, who destroyed the Okies 12-3. Note that Louisville has been dominant since then. They are a very good team and a PUBLIC school.

It's not really a badge of honor to say "we never win all that much because in most years we weren't supposed to win". Uh, congratulations?

It is when you say that you'd never criticize our regular season record which is strange since we didn't have great records in someof those years we've mentioned.

I think playing to seed is important.

You probably dismiss it because Jim Morris is likely unmatched in that category.

Advertisement
More damning evidence..............

UCLA - Missed tournament in 2014, 2016 and no Omaha since 2013. Worse than UM clearly.
Fresno - Missed tournament in 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Coastal - Made Omaha ONCE and won it on a FLUKE.
South Carolina - Lost in regaionals in 2014, 2015, 2017. HAve NOT BEEN TO OMAHA SINCE 2012...........
Vanderbilt - No Omaha since 2015. Won in 2015 and second in 2014. You are right - they are in the midst of 2 down years not 4.

UCLA - that's not a four year stretch
Coastal - Miami made Omaha TWICE and hasn't won it at all. Point, Coastal.
South Carolina - did you look to see if Jim Morris had a stretch where he didn't go to Omaha?
Vanderbilt - they are not in the midst of down years

Miami - no Omaha from 2009-2014, missed tournament in 2017

Miami is the worst team on that list.

HA! HA! HA! HA!

I am imortalizing this one before he can edit it: "Brian O-Connor has said multiple times that it was a mental thing they went through that year. The talent was still there. Obviously."

That is conjecture. Heck, we even went 20-12 during the latter half. If our pitching was equal to the Florida series, we beat UNC. The fact is that we lost and had the worst year of our history.

Right, because that was the discussion. I made the claim that the best teams over the decade also had the most wins in Omaha in that decade. Of course you would only use the regular season record to make that claim.

I was merely correcting you because you posted that they had the best record in all of baseball which they don't.

It's a minor point and I don't particularly care because we didn't advance out of the regional (which is the point). But in that case the number of years playing below seed goes from 2 (2012 and 2014) to 4 (2007, 2012-14).

Once again your numbers hurt your argument.

My argument is that Jim Morris can't do squat in the post-season, yet you keep bringing up more reasons why Jim Morris hasn't done more in the post-season. It's like you're trying to make my argument for me.

Advertisement
Back