Pro football focus

Advertisement
If he's rolling he sticks. He has prototypical size and Walker can slide to RT to replace JWilliams. JWilliams trying to get drafted this year.

I think we need to see Walker on the field before we start anointing him a starter at either tackle position.

If Zion is playing well and continuing to improve, Campbell is playing well and Rivers takes that next step....those 3 guys will all be in the tackle discussion. Chris Washington is out there as well and will have a year of S&C under his belt. There will be plenty of competition.

I said it last year when people were killing Zion. He showed unparalleled toughness that was a harbinger of good things to come. He was two months removed from weighing 240 pounds and was in an absurd scheme, but he kept lining up and taking his fcking medicine.

Toughness at that position is one of the top traits you look for. He's got enough size and athletic ability now, but you can't teach grit. He could have broke easily but he didn't. And that told me he could be successful down the line.

If Zion can become a reliable rotation piece, I will gladly eat a well-deserved family of crow.

Deep battered and dixie fried.

I said it last year when people were killing Zion. He showed unparalleled toughness that was a harbinger of good things to come. He was two months removed from weighing 240 pounds and was in an absurd scheme, but he kept lining up and taking his fcking medicine.

Toughness at that position is one of the top traits you look for. He's got enough size and athletic ability now, but you can't teach grit. He could have broke easily but he didn't. And that told me he could be successful down the line.

All that said, kudos to the young man for transforming himself. He flat out dominated/mauled FSU. That year over year improvement is remarkable.

Advertisement
If our LBs are gonna play like trash we need to play the most athletic ones. Play the freshmen. I dont understand what even happened with Joyner. Jennings is late with his fills. Could be a long day v Clemson
We're still trying to win games. This is not a rebuilding year.

Besides, at the start of the season, Manny was coaching for his life.

Zion probably slides to RT for 2021.

2021 OL:
RT - Zion
RG - Rivers
C - Gaynor
LG - Clarke/Traore
LT - Campbell

Alot of experience on that line next year. OL need to be grown men, and this line gets us there.

Anybody heard anything about El-Gammal? Big dude, but I never hear him mentioned.
… or Cleveland Reed.

We're still trying to win games. This is not a rebuilding year.

Besides, at the start of the season, Manny was coaching for his life.
Yeah I'm not saying put players that are not ready in there. But if u got guys who are playing badly as SRs I rather see guys that are athletic playing 100 miles an hour doing the same thing. What I cant figure is how manny was able to get McCloud, Shaq and Pinckney to pick up the defense as soon as they came in and now we have SRs and redshirt JRs acting like they dont know how to fill a run gap. Mind you Baker is the DC now and not Diaz. I think Manny needs to take control of this defense for this game. Maybe Baker improves but I don't think he is ready to go up against Clemson from a play calling standpoint. We could barely stop UL and Pitt shut them down. I dont think Pitt defense is so much better than ours athletically at all.

Advertisement
Yeah I'm not saying put players that are not ready in there. But if u got guys who are playing badly as SRs I rather see guys that are athletic playing 100 miles an hour doing the same thing. What I cant figure is how manny was able to get McCloud, Shaq and Pinckney to pick up the defense as soon as they came in and now we have SRs and redshirt JRs acting like they dont know how to fill a run gap. Mind you Baker is the DC now and not Diaz. I think Manny needs to take control of this defense for this game. Maybe Baker improves but I don't think he is ready to go up against Clemson from a play calling standpoint. We could barely stop UL and Pitt shut them down. I dont think Pitt defense is so much better than ours athletically at all.
If they're equally bad, I would play the one with the best long-term prospects and do what I can to protect him.

I like the aggressive aspect of Manny's defense but I get an uneasy feeling about this emphasis on tackles for loss. Too often we lose gap integrity and there's an olineman getting to the second level. Don't mistake that to mean I'm suggesting we return to the Donofrio days of assignment football, but there needs to be some balance. We're making it too hard for LBs that are already challenged.

JJ's defense was aggressive and played behind the line of scrimmage but the gaps were covered to the extent we extinguished the wishbone as a viable offense.

Last edited:
If they're equally bad, I would play the one with the best long-term prospect and do what I can to protect him.

I like the aggressive aspect of Manny's defense but I get an uneasy feeling about this emphasis of tackles for lose. Too often we lose gap integrity and there's an olineman getting to the second level. Don't mistake that to mean I'm suggesting we return to the Donofrio days of assignment football, but there need to be some balance. We're making it to hard for LBs that are already challenged.

JJ's defense was aggressive and played behind the line of scrimmage but the gaps were covered to the extent we extinguished the wishbone as a viable offense.
I have the same issue. Like there are so many times when maintaining outside leverage would stop a play and our players dip inside and lose contain. Then you realize its the point of the defense, Diaz feels like tfls and sacks kill drives so u can gamble. I agree to some extent but good teams wont beat by that.

I have the same issue. Like there are so many times when maintaining outside leverage would stop a play and our players dip inside and lose contain. Then you realize its the point of the defense, Diaz feels like tfls and sacks kill drives so u can gamble. I agree to some extent but good teams wont beat by that.

It should be predicated on down and distance. Third and 4, you don't need a TFL. You'll give a 2 yard gain an be fine with it.

LB (last number is snap count) :

View attachment 132634

I didn't see Brooks play that badly. PFF is super useful, but my eyes tell me Brooks is more valuable on the field than Jennings.

An optimistic takeaway here is that 1. Frierson is taking that next step and 2. When we need speed, Frierson + Smith on the field at the same time is a viable option now.

McCloud definitely has his limitations. But I think McCloud with Frierson and Smith, or Frierson and Brooks, would give as much as they get. Just keep Jennings' snap count down

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back