Pro Day is today

Why can't they just build a roof over the existing turf field? Does this seem that hard to do?

Not sure if serious...

I'm not an architect. So I'm ignorant to this topic. Hence, why i asked. If you're being a smart *** internet poster, go Fck yourself.

You don't need to be an architect to known rain doesn't always fall straight down. Next time it's raining roll down all your car windows and see what happens.. :tedbong:

Last edited:
Advertisement
I hope Artie Burns improved his vertical. That number from the combine was absolutely brutal. It ruined his metric scores, which plenty of teams rely on. That's partially the reason you might see lowered ratings on Burns. Mayock never gets anything first. He reacts to league consensus and passes it off as his own.

Burns was moving up until that metric score. Then it shifted radically in the other direction. He tested in the 13th percentile using the formula that evaluates athletic ability in relation to the typical NFL cornerback. You can find those numbers by Googling terms like SPARQ ratings and 3 Sigma Athlete. The Seahawks have long been proponents of those metric scores. That's how they identified guys like Richard Sherman in the later rounds and Marshawn Lynch by trade. They had freak test scores in the categories that align with success at their positions. The Seattle general manager made some offhand references several years ago and sharp Seahawk bloggers found the formula on a Nike site and started compiling their own ratings. It has proven incredibly popular and successful since they've been able to identify beforehand the specific athletes that Seattle is likely to pursue in the draft.

For reference purposes, Ramsey tested in the 99th percentile and Hargreaves in the 97th. True freaks.

Burns is more like Dion Jordan, the Dolphins pick in the third slot a few years ago. Jordan can fool traditional evaluators into believing he's a standout athlete, based on frame and stride. But Jordan also flunked the metrics, indicating no explosiveness whatsoever. The SPARQ guys were calling for him to bust long before that draft.

The good news for Burns is that many teams still ignore the metrics completely or don't put much stock in it. He'll still go fairly high. But there will be a radically different opinion from team to team, depending on their approach. Even some of the standard evaluations have soured somewhat on Burns. He received a very lukewarm rating from Nolan Nawrocki in the recently released NFL Draft Preview, including a very sour "scout's take.". Nawrocki was with Pro Football Weekly until they folded the print side a few years ago. He did their draft book succeeding the late Joel Buchsbaum. Nawrocki's sources are generally the late trend. Mayock has more of a lag.

However, the Nawrocki book was much more positive on Deon Bush than anything I've seen recently. I was very surprised. I have to say Bush really helped himself by being in excellent shape at the combine, certainly far above Burns' conditioning. Then apparently Bush took it to a new level today if he indeed jumped 39+.

I have never attended or seen a high school football camp. I get the impression that it's still a bit primitive. I can't remember seeing lists of vertical jump scores or standing broad jump results or 3 cone drill times from those camps. Those numbers identify athletic ability and explosiveness, far more reliably than the eye test or mere 40 speed. The Canes might as well get a jump on matters, so to speak, by implementing those tests, even if keeping the digits to themselves.

In Burns' case I'm not surprised he flunked the metrics. My initial impression of him from early freshman year was of a freak athlete who seemed to engulf receivers down the sideline like a tarantula. Only upon watching him try to cover standard routes did I realize that he was quite stiff and hardly explosive. Size/speed type without rare ability.

Regarding the indoor facility, after the final home basketball game I stood on the rim of the upper parking garage for 15 minutes while allowing traffic to clear, and tried to figure out where it could go. Nothing made sense. The tennis court shift sounds like a great option. I knew something had to be moved but I didn't realize there was another option for the tennis facilities. Losing an intramural field or two is no big sacrifice. That happened to us at USC when the McDonnald's Swim Stadium was constructed in time for the 1984 Summer Olympics. We lost two huge fields in a prime location and had to settle for a tiny lot near Heritage. These days not many people I speak to from USC remember where those old intramural fields were located.

Omar Kelly is on the radio right now saying it was a complete **** show. Says the administration not planning for the rain was absolutely unforgivable because the players didnt really get to show what they could do...Said Tyriq is an NFL player but because of the rain and the field he didnt get to really show what he had. Said some scouts and GMs didnt even take the Pro Day seriously because it was just too much sludge and bad field conditions.

Said he is hearing only two Canes will be drafted. Burns (1st round)..and Bush.

Said the Pro day just really ruined alot of kids opportunity but that NFL guys know these kids have had crappy coaching and once again will probably shop from the bargain bin. (meaning get an undrafted guy like Hurns or Shields and mold him into a star;..he was speaking to Waters and Scott)

Why can't they just build a roof over the existing turf field? Does this seem that hard to do?

Not sure if serious...

I'm not an architect. So I'm ignorant to this topic. Hence, why i asked. If you're being a smart *** internet poster, go Fck yourself.

You don't need to be an architect to known rain doesn't always fall straight down. Next time it's raining roll down all your car windows and see what happens.. :tedbong:

Thanks!

But in my defense, I was meaning more like a practice bubble. Not like a tin roof. I'm not as smart as you guys.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back