Prior relationship with T-Rob leads to UM offer for DE Durant

View as article
Check out the highlight film. There is at least 1 play at Wildcat and he looked pretty fluid. I had the same thought you did worrying about the kid having to tackle him.
Just saw it and I don't blame those kids one bit for taking those side angles

Advertisement

He was 5'10 202 in the 8th grade 🤯

How come middle schools down here don't have football teams?

Yea seen him work OL Austin Barber who we targeted heavy last year in camp film. Was a fan then.

Would like those types...considering we got a bigger run stuffer type in Haye last class. Would like to alternate recruiting classes with the 300+ DT'S.

I'm all in on smaller guys especially since i believe we will be abe to shirt them and not rush into playing. If he or Jamaal Johnson can get to that 270 range as redshirt freshman would be GREAT.

Think though undersize thi skid should be a priority
I like the kid, but he's a bit light for the inside(I like 290+). Can see him as a strong run defender at DE in short yard situations, with ability to get to the passer also.

I like the kid, but he's a bit light for the inside(I like 290+). Can see him as a strong run defender at DE in short yard situations, with ability to get to the passer also.
you keep talking about big guys but florida isn't known for having huge guys, its always been athletic and agressive. guys like wilfork are the exception

I hate comparisons. But if he can fill out anywhere close to Donald it would be a home run. He reminds me a lot of Donald in high school.
And no way was Donald 6’2.
At the combine he was 6’1 285.
B88A635E-C36B-46B0-B34B-3DEA5ED8B52F.png
27F96B03-0E02-4758-BE54-9D4603FB287D.png

Advertisement
It's so much easier to judge a basketball prospect than a football prospect. IMO there are way too many H.S. football players across the country for any "recruiting expert" to see them in depth and make a legitimate judgement. So what they mostly do is observe what schools are recruiting them and rate them accordingly.

In basketball, you can typically see a kid is a stud from one viewing. It's much easier for a talented kid to stand out. In football, that's frequently not the case.
Plus it’s easier to see basketball players more in game action due to traveling teams etc....

football is tougher due to limited amount of games played, camp circuit can lead to workout warriors, and like you brought up just the sheer volume of players competing at all levels. It’s brought up a lot but a kid who is good here in Florida could look all world playing in a non hot bed state plus throw in if he measurables decently you’ll get some mix ups

Wow have to really like Durant after his HL film. Did pretty much some of everything including wildcat QB. Great evaluation from TRob, let’s hope Mom wins out and he commits to Miami. Don’t get the sense he would back off his commitment once he announces it. Would be a great get to play at the 3T as others have stated. I really like his play.

To anyone with a discerning eye for recruiting, what differentiates this young man from a 4 star? I ask not because I care but moreso because I can’t see the difference and would like to. As a basketball guy I can see it in hoops within 5 minutes of watching someone play but 3 or 4 stars in football is what I can’t see between. 5 stars are easy in any sports because they jump off the screen.
I just watched some highlights from the central Fla LB Tolan and I can’t understand why he’s not a five-star. He’s all over the place making great plays. Well, maybe these experts who dispense the stars see more than just highlights. Are they watching entire game videos? Watching the kids in practice? Watching them in camps? I dunno. I just know the 247 or HUDL highlights I saw of Tolan were just about sensational.

Are we thinking 3 tech here? That would be my guess

Or a stockier DE, J.Mcdougal style

Reminds me of Johnson from Chaminade that Simpson dropped.

Advertisement
This kid is a really intriguing prospect to me. He doesn't have the ideal size for a DE or DT, but there's something about his game (his quickness, smarts, tenacity) that sticks out on his film. He doesn't have the length or size of guys like Quentel Jones, Anthony Lucas, or even Daniel Lyons but they don't make plays he does either. I can't wait to see how he develops as a HS senior cause we definitely run a defense that suits this kids game, especially if he can grow into a 3T.

@DMoney

In your opinion, how does Durant compare to Calijah Kancey from a few years ago? Both were short 3Ts and Cancey made some noise at Pitt last year after taking a RS.

Advertisement
@DMoney

In your opinion, how does Durant compare to Calijah Kancey from a few years ago? Both were short 3Ts and Cancey made some noise at Pitt last year after taking a RS.
I haven’t seen Durant in person, but Kancey was really small. I wanted us to take him as a FB/pass rushing DT like Nikita Whitlock of Wake Forest and the Giants. Durant may have a bigger frame.

Durant and Kancey’s games are definitely similar. This was the my old write up on Kancey:

At the Rivals Camp, Kancey measured at 6'0, 264 with a 73-inch wingspan. Freakishly quick, excellent swim move, moves and tackles like a LB. Huge production. He was impossible to block when I saw him at camp. The only knock is obviously size. If we signed him, I'd give him a shot at FB as well. He can play the position.

Advertisement
What about Melvin Ingram as a comp?
My only knock against that is Durant is likely in the 260s with another year of HS left. Ingram's a 3-time Pro Bowler with a playing weight of around 250. He's more of a DE/3-4 OLB and Durant should grow into a DT/4-3 SDE type. I definitely see your logic tho. Not gonna be mistaken for power forwards, but they're athletic and they fly around all game long...

Advertisement
Back