Prior relationship with T-Rob leads to UM offer for DE Durant

Advertisement
Advertisement
So who do we like? It's a little convenient that every kid commiting elsewhere isn't high on our board

Wut? It's obvious that Spells wasnt at the top of our board. I'm sure Durant was a take but we have 6-7 DTs coming back and all of them underclassmen, we dont really need to press at DT.

I think Tolan was the one kid everyone desperately wanted (coaches and fans) but we dont need more than one LB either for this class. We dont run a 3-4, we run 2 LBs and have 7 kids coming back including two we havent even seen what they're capable of in Johnson and Troutman.

Wut? It's obvious that Spells wasnt at the top of our board. I'm sure Durant was a take but we have 6-7 DTs coming back and all of them underclassmen, we dont really need to press at DT.

I think Tolan was the one kid everyone desperately wanted (coaches and fans) but we dont need more than one LB either for this class. We dont run a 3-4, we run 2 LBs and have 7 kids coming back including two we havent even seen what they're capable of in Johnson and Troutman.
If you look at the names we were after at cb then spells being all in his feels it was obvious what the deal was. As I’ve said “ we’re big fish hunting at cb”.

DL Zane Durant excited about Penn State, but still hearing from others​

Orlando (Fla.) Lake Nona four-star defensive lineman Zane Durant announced a verbal commitment to Penn State back on July 4. While he remains solid on his commitment to the Nittany Lions, he told 247Sports on Saturday that he's still keep in contact with some other schools. That's before he posted on social media Sunday that he has received written scholarship offers from Miami, Ole Miss, Tennessee and UCF in addition to one from Penn State.

"I'm keeping things open," Durant explained. "I'm not shutting down my recruitment completely. I'm still looking at my options, but I'm locked in with Penn State."

Durant, who the industry-generated 247Sports Composite pegs as the nation's No. 40 defensive line prospect in the class of 2022, was in Happy Valley the weekend of June 18 for an official visit. He said that he will return to campus for an unofficial visit on Sept. 17 when the Nittany Lions host Auburn.

"Coach [John] Scott and Coach [Ja'Juan] Seider really made me feel at home when I was there," Durant said when asked about his decision. "They also don't have a bunch of Florida boys up there, so I feel like I can bring something different and give them something that they need."

Durant added that he's pretty excited about Penn State's recruiting class, which currently sits No. 1 in the 247Sports Composite team rankings after five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers elected to reclassify and enroll a year early at Ohio State. "We're brining that heat. We're getting the best of the best. We are trying to build something special," Durant said. And while Durant seems to feel good about the Nittany Lions, he did acknowledge that one school is pushing a little harder than others for a flip.

"It's probably Miami," Durant said. "They are just trying to get me back down there for another visit. They see me fitting in their scheme just with the energy I bring as a player."

Durant says a number of folks in Coral Gables are trying to keep in contact. "I talk to Coach [Jess] Simpson, Coach Ish [Artistide], Coach [Travaris Robinson] and Coach [Manny Diaz]," Durant said. "Coach Simpson text me the other morning."

As a junior, Durant totaled 15.5 tackles for loss, 13 quarterback hurries and 6.5 sacks for a Lake Nona team that made the Sunshine State's 8A state playoffs. The soon-to-be senior owns some elite testing numbers having gone 4.84 on the lasers in the 40-yard dash while also posting a 4.5 in the short shuttle. Durant also power cleans 300 pounds and was a state qualifier this spring in the shot put. "I'm trying to set my school's sack record," the 6-foot-1, 251-pound Durant said when asked about his future goals. "I want to do that and get a bunch of tackles for loss."

Orlando (Fla.) Lake Nona four-star defensive lineman Zane Durant announced a verbal commitment to Penn State back on July 4. While he remains solid on his commitment to the Nittany Lions, he told 247Sports on Saturday that he's still keep in contact with some other schools. That's before he posted on social media Sunday that he has received written scholarship offers from Miami, Ole Miss, Tennessee and UCF in addition to one from Penn State.

"I'm keeping things open," Durant explained. "I'm not shutting down my recruitment completely. I'm still looking at my options, but I'm locked in with Penn State."

Durant, who the industry-generated 247Sports Composite pegs as the nation's No. 40 defensive line prospect in the class of 2022, was in Happy Valley the weekend of June 18 for an official visit. He said that he will return to campus for an unofficial visit on Sept. 17 when the Nittany Lions host Auburn.

"Coach [John] Scott and Coach [Ja'Juan] Seider really made me feel at home when I was there," Durant said when asked about his decision. "They also don't have a bunch of Florida boys up there, so I feel like I can bring something different and give them something that they need."

Durant added that he's pretty excited about Penn State's recruiting class, which currently sits No. 1 in the 247Sports Composite team rankings after five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers elected to reclassify and enroll a year early at Ohio State. "We're brining that heat. We're getting the best of the best. We are trying to build something special," Durant said. And while Durant seems to feel good about the Nittany Lions, he did acknowledge that one school is pushing a little harder than others for a flip.

"It's probably Miami," Durant said. "They are just trying to get me back down there for another visit. They see me fitting in their scheme just with the energy I bring as a player."

Durant says a number of folks in Coral Gables are trying to keep in contact. "I talk to Coach [Jess] Simpson, Coach Ish [Artistide], Coach [Travaris Robinson] and Coach [Manny Diaz]," Durant said. "Coach Simpson text me the other morning."

As a junior, Durant totaled 15.5 tackles for loss, 13 quarterback hurries and 6.5 sacks for a Lake Nona team that made the Sunshine State's 8A state playoffs. The soon-to-be senior owns some elite testing numbers having gone 4.84 on the lasers in the 40-yard dash while also posting a 4.5 in the short shuttle. Durant also power cleans 300 pounds and was a state qualifier this spring in the shot put. "I'm trying to set my school's sack record," the 6-foot-1, 251-pound Durant said when asked about his future goals. "I want to do that and get a bunch of tackles for loss."

Good on the coaches. Keep pressing, we need DTs with his motor, even if he's physically a low ceiling guy, he can carve out an important role as a reliable rotational player. We NEED guys like him to go with our Roberts' and Taylors.

Advertisement
"They also don't have a bunch of Florida boys up there, so I feel like I can bring something different and give them something that they need."

In mid February, you’ll see why they ‘don’t have a bunch of Florida boys up there’.

Ask those Florida boys that went to Nebraska a few years ago. They said the same thing.

tom cruise sunglasses GIF by Paramount Movies

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back