2024 Prentiss "Air" Noland 4* QB from GA (Langston Hughes - Commits to Buckeyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
From Steve Wiltfong for Clemson 247:

Noland and new Tigers offensive coordinator Garrett Riley have had a long-standing relationship dating back to his time at TCU and it ramped up this weekend spending time together.

“It was great,” Noland said. “Coach Dabo Swinney, Coach Riley, Coach Tajh (Boyd), a lot of people on the staff they love me and like the person I am off the field. They love my circle, I had my mom, grandmother and sister with me. They loved them to death and had fun with them. My sister was hanging out with some of the coaching staff’s kids. That shows Clemson is very family-oriented and the culture is different.

“What stood out to me is a lot of former players are on the Clemson staff and that shows me that Coach Dabo Swinney loves his people and cares for his people and players.”

"I feel our connection can be very, very scary for others if I were to play for Coach Riley. His offensive system he runs has a lot of similarities I run in my school, a lot of the same plays calls, verbiage and terminology and that’s huge and big. He brought me around his family and I brought my mom and little sister and they communicated and talked like they already knew each other and that was eye opening for me.”

Noland says he’ll “most likely” return to Clemson for an official visit the first weekend of June but that is not locked in.

Advertisement
My same thoughts when I saw this but this offense isn’t the same as the ones we saw with those past QB’s. Clemson going to run that ball quite a bit, I believe.
True, and hopefully our new offense gives us a leg up, here. But Clemson has always recruited this state pretty well. Especially at the QB position, lately. They were recruiting QBs in this state way before Dabo was running things.

Advertisement
did not know this guy was back on the radar. excellent poet. hasn't been on the radar since 1967. early 25/7 take on him below. he's a take all day long in my book.

James Mercer Langston Hughes was born on February 1, 1901, in Joplin, Missouri. Hughes’s birth year was revised from 1902 to 1901 after new research from 2018 uncovered that he had been born a year earlier. His parents, James Nathaniel Hughes and Carrie Langston Hughes, divorced when he was a young child, and his father moved to Mexico. He was raised by his maternal grandmother, Mary Sampson Patterson Leary Langston, who was nearly seventy when Hughes was born, until he was thirteen. He then moved to Lincoln, Illinois, to live with his mother and her husband, before the family eventually settled in Cleveland. It was in Lincoln that Hughes began writing poetry.

After graduating from high school, he spent a year in Mexico followed by a year at Columbia University. During this time, he worked as an assistant cook, a launderer, and a busboy. He also traveled to Africa and Europe working as a seaman. In November 1924, he moved to Washington, D.C. Hughes’s first book of poetry, The Weary Blues, (Knopf, 1926) was published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1926 with an introduction by Harlem Renaissance arts patron Carl Van Vechten. Criticism of the book from the time varied, with some praising the arrival of a significant new voice in poetry, while others dismissed Hughes’s debut collection. He finished his college education at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania three years later. In 1930 his first novel, Not Without Laughter (Knopf, 1930), won the Harmon gold medal for literature.

Hughes, who cited Paul Laurence Dunbar, Carl Sandburg, and Walt Whitman as his primary influences, is particularly known for his insightful portrayals of Black life in America from the 1920s to the 1960s. He wrote novels, short stories, plays, and poetry, and is also known for his engagement with the world of jazz and the influence it had on his writing, as in his book-length poem Montage of a Dream Deferred (Holt, 1951). His life and work were enormously important in shaping the artistic contributions of the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s. Unlike other notable Black poets of the period, such as Claude McKay, Jean Toomer, and Countee Cullen, Hughes refused to differentiate between his personal experience and the common experience of Black America. He wanted to tell the stories of his people in ways that reflected their actual culture, including their love of music, laughter, and language, alongside their suffering.

The critic Donald B. Gibson noted in the introduction to Modern Black Poets: A Collection of Critical Essays (Prentice Hall, 1973) that Hughes

differed from most of his predecessors among black poets… in that he addressed his poetry to the people, specifically to black people. During the twenties when most American poets were turning inward, writing obscure and esoteric poetry to an ever decreasing audience of readers, Hughes was turning outward, using language and themes, attitudes and ideas familiar to anyone who had the ability simply to read... Until the time of his death, he spread his message humorously—though always seriously—to audiences throughout the country, having read his poetry to more people (possibly) than any other American poet.
In addition to leaving us a large body of poetic work, Hughes wrote eleven plays and countless works of prose, including the well-known “Simple” books: Simple’s Uncle Sam (Hill and Wang, 1965); Simple Stakes a Claim (Rinehart, 1957); Simple Takes a Wife (Simon & Schuster, 1953); Simple Speaks His Mind (Simon & Schuster, 1950). He coedited the The Poetry of the *****, 1746–1949 (Doubleday & Co., Inc., 1949) with Arna Bontemps, edited The Book of ***** Folklore (Dodd, Mead & Company, 1958), and wrote an acclaimed autobiography, The Big Sea (Knopf, 1940). Hughes also cowrote the play Mule Bone (HarperCollins, 1991) with Zora Neale Hurston.

Langston Hughes died of complications from prostate cancer on May 22, 1967, in New York City. In his memory, his residence at 20 East 127th Street in Harlem has been given landmark status by the New York City Preservation Commission, and East 127th Street has been renamed “Langston Hughes Place.”

I like Air Noland. But can someone explain why UM is not kicking the tires on Austin Simmons out of Pahokee? I feel like his arm is stronger than Noland's.
Arm strength doesn't mean anything tbh. Not saying which QB is better but that doesn't mean a thing.

Reactions: ben
Advertisement
Recruit Van Buren, Marco’s Davila, and Mettauer harder. I like them all more than Noland. Anyone else rate these guys higher than Air?
I think Air is the type of kid that could turn into a Watson for Clemson, the one who gets them over the hill. Kid is mature, a leader, humble.. we need those kind of kids, more than anything imo, and he's still very talented.

(And yes, I'm aware of what Deshaun Watson has turned into 🤣)

Recruit Van Buren, Marco’s Davila, and Mettauer harder. I like them all more than Noland. Anyone else rate these guys higher than Air?
Air Noland all day for me. He's gotten better each year he's played. He's only got 16 career interceptions out of 700+ career pass attempts. Ivins said that by one metric he has the fastest release they've ever seen.

Last year he threw for 4k yards with 55 TD, and completed 73% of his passes with only 4 interceptions.

If Shannon's offense is anything close to Lashley's, Noland is a perfect fit. Accurate, quick release, doesn't commit turnovers.

Advertisement
▪ A non-UM coach involved in quarterback recruiting reiterated that Miami has a good shot to land Fairburn, Ga.-based Air Norland, rated by Rivals as the 11th best pro style quarterback in the 2024 class. 247 Sports rated him the 10th best quarterback and 117th best prospect overall in the 2024 class. He visited UM once last year, attended a Canes home game last season and plans to visit again this week, per 247 Sports. He’s a believer in new offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson and told Inside The U that UM’s offense “will be one of the most explosive offenses in the country.” Noland, 6-3, threw 55 touchdowns and just four interceptions last season. He has 8,024 passing yards and 104 touchdown passes in three seasons. Ohio State, Auburn, Clemson and Texas A&M are among his other suitors.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article273374200.html#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back