2024 Prentiss "Air" Noland 4* QB from GA (Langston Hughes - Commits to Buckeyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I guess there is a chance Mario just wants to build a monster in the trenches with a great D and have us go the UGA/Bennet route where if you surround a game manager with enough talent you do not need a top tier guy.

My concern however is twofold. Similar to the issues you mentioned the handlers pushing kids away from mario and the kids we are targeting. Last year, it seemed like Rashada or bust as our top guy and it was known Rashada was shopping for the highest bid. Ultimately I guess we got out bid even if UF was using monopoly money? But Now we target Air who everyone said was waiting on an OSU offer and that was the one he really wanted. **if** he goes to OSU I do not want to hear about the excuses from our fans giving a pass because of the offense they put up. Mario brought in Gattis, he is responsible for the uphill battle he has with QB's. OSU can offer a top 100 QB 8 mo before signing day and not have the hurt feelings of you did not offer me for whatever reason.

So 1. offense needs to put up numbers this year or you are correct we are in for a long few seasons unless we throw around stupid cash to get someone from the portal and 2. better prioritization of QB recruits
but even then it didnt work until they landed an elite skill talent in Bowers. he transformed the **** out of their O. even when they had elite RBs, theyd still lose in big games where the talent level was equal. ****, even in their first title, Bama were down all their starting WRs which made it easier for UGA. i dont think UGA is a very good model to follow.

Advertisement
He's just as good as whomever they brought in 2022...and in 2023 he is there best guy.

The issue is....they have landed 100 wrs....and reps wont be there this year no matter how good he is with what they had coming back.

The group in 2022 played 67 snaps total last year....Im guessing the 2023 group will be similar.

But Brandon isnt a kid that isnt use to playing with or against top comp...it will be a shocked for the other guys committed who likely were the best by far fromw herever they are from....dude stands out when he plays against the elites and thats since he was an 8th grader.

He likely causes others to transfer out...but does he have it in to wait the 2 years like the other guys?.
facts

sh i hope we tampering

Advertisement
CM I thought looked generational man, we havent had something like that in ages.
yeah he was one we needed to close on. it sucked but it wasnt completely our faults. **** happens.

overall, it made a great DB class into a rumph style DB class w only one HS recruit. just as we said about manny, you cant rely on the portal to fill your needs forever due to poor recruiting. we lost a ton at DB due to transfers or graduating and needed good bodies in there.

yeah he was one we needed to close on. it sucked but it wasnt completely our faults. **** happens.

overall, it made a great DB class into a rumph style DB class w only one HS recruit. just as we said about manny, you cant rely on the portal to fill your needs forever due to poor recruiting. we lost a ton at DB due to transfers or graduating and needed good bodies in there.
i agree

even though we got bodied by Deon this is still by far our best class in ages. Never trust the portal hype dead ***

but even then it didnt work until they landed an elite skill talent in Bowers. he transformed the **** out of their O. even when they had elite RBs, theyd still lose in big games where the talent level was equal. ****, even in their first title, Bama were down all their starting WRs which made it easier for UGA. i dont think UGA is a very good model to follow.
I agree you need at least a few truly elite talents to win the championship. Elite gets tossed around way too often but you can win without elite QB play IF you have elite play elsewhere.

I agree you need at least a few truly elite talents to win the championship. Elite gets tossed around way too often but you can win without elite QB play IF you have elite play elsewhere.
This is true but I think people forget that the latter is much harder to accomplish. We saw Bama do it a couple of times and now UGA did twice but you need to essentially be elite everywhere which is hard af. Whereas an elite QB negates all of that and gives you a chance. It happened with Cam and Watson. Clemson was decent but they had no business competing with Bama but Watson took them to the next level. So much so that Saban changed his philosophy on offense.

Advertisement
This is true but I think people forget that the latter is much harder to accomplish. We saw Bama do it a couple of times and now UGA did twice but you need to essentially be elite everywhere which is hard af. Whereas an elite QB negates all of that and gives you a chance. It happened with Cam and Watson. Clemson was decent but they had no business competing with Bama but Watson took them to the next level. So much so that Saban changed his philosophy on offense.
Look at Burrow and LSU. It took a historic season for them to break through. LSU recruits at a level very close to Bama & UGA. Still took an elite QB and a good system to beat the stacked talent teams.

Look at Burrow and LSU. It took a historic season for them to break through. LSU recruits at a level very close to Bama & UGA. Still took an elite QB and a good system to beat the stacked talent teams.
We essentially need to build the equivalent of the early 2000s Canes to beat Bama and UGA. It’s not impossible because we did once but the road to the top gets so much easier if you get an elite QB. Maybe Emory is the guy, unlikely but maybe, I say this because it doesn’t have to be a 5 star.

My point is that we can’t just take the most important position in the game for granted and write it off because Stenson Bennett won back to back chips. Even with Stenson, the kid made a ton of plays his senior year and if it wasn’t for him making some big time throws and plays, Taint beat them.

Advertisement
I agree. Partially why I said TVD having a big year is probably the most important thing.. right now there are no highly touted options to pivot to that would legitimately consider us. A good year could change things. ****ting the bed again closes that door and you're stuck relying on Judd Anderson or Luke Moga at best.

There's always the slim chance one of these mediocre 3 stars turns into something like Justin Herbert. The odds aren't in your favor if you're stuck with the leftovers at QB.

I'd actually rather not waste a lot of time and NIL recruiting HS QBs.. even Air Noland. They bust or transfer 75% of the time. Save that NIL $ and get a proven QB from the portal. They enter every year.. but still to do that TVD has to have a good year and we need proof that Mario isn't the problem before we can even go that route.

I hoped this wasn't the case, but this is a huge deal. QB discussion on the board has revolved around Air Noland as the sole QB1 we had any traction with and then a bunch of mid QB2 types that are simply nowhere near enough after how last year's cycle went for us at the position.

Mario's QB recruiting was the clear-cut #1 concern surrounding him before he came back home. As you mentioned, he landed highly-rated QBs who turned out to be complete duds at Oregon after inheriting Herbert. If (and maybe it's too soon for me to speculate) we merely pivot to taking two QB2's after only landing Emory last cycle, then QB recruiting would be in critical condition.

And if that's the route we take, our post-TVD QB room will become yet another effective negative recruiting pitch for opposing programs to use as we try to reverse course with trying to sign elite, Brandon Inniss/Jeremiah Smith-level WR's.

Some will try the "smartest man in the room" argument with the Hairston and Anderson types and claim for the second straight year that our evals are landing us a diamond in the rough that no one else sees. Others will talk about Stetson Bennett and try to draw a false parallel between our current situation and sustained UGA-level roster building. But we'll need to land an absolute stud QB from the portal if no premier HS QB gives us the time of day besides Noland.

TIFWIW but this guy’s a really solid poster on 247 who’s got connects from what I’ve seen with him in the past.

779A3DF2-C607-4857-ADAF-0267ACC5F5B2.jpeg

I agree. Partially why I said TVD having a big year is probably the most important thing.. right now there are no highly touted options to pivot to that would legitimately consider us. A good year could change things. ****ting the bed again closes that door and you're stuck relying on Judd Anderson or Luke Moga at best.

There's always the slim chance one of these mediocre 3 stars turns into something like Justin Herbert. The odds aren't in your favor if you're stuck with the leftovers at QB.

I'd actually rather not waste a lot of time and NIL recruiting HS QBs.. even Air Noland. They bust or transfer 75% of the time. Save that NIL $ and get a proven QB from the portal. They enter every year.. but still to do that TVD has to have a good year and we need proof that Mario isn't the problem before we can even go that route.
I’ve been saying this for a while now. If we go for a top Hs ranked QB, we better go all out for a stud that will start as a true frosh or at least guaranteed to take the place the following year…

Advertisement
Anything can happen, even after a commitment, but I can’t say I’m surprised or expected differently. Like I mentioned the other day on here, I think we’re just going to have to build from the inside (trenches) out. That’s where Mario can excel. And it seems like that’s how it’s going to be on both sides of the ball.

1- 4 star QB isn't going to ruin a recruiting class. Someone said it above...build the TEAM UP, QB isn't the biggest concern today. I mean a 2 star just won 2 in a row.

1- 4 star QB isn't going to ruin a recruiting class. Someone said it above...build the TEAM UP, QB isn't the biggest concern today. I mean a 2 star just won 2 in a row.
A 2 star won because he was surrounded by a ridiculous amount of talent. Levels of talent that in my lifetime only three programs have reached. UGA, Bama and us in the early 2000s. The game is different now and getting back to that level is hard af. The great equalizer is an elite QB. The trenches are super important don’t get me wrong but this is a QB centric sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back