Prediction on Manny's decisions in the offseason

Advertisement
Hurricanes Football Breakdown GIF by Miami Hurricanes

If this doesn't inspire you, nothing will.

We're all foaming at the mouth for a change but in reality, a change now doesn't change the UNC game or really change the bowl game. Manny can make it official after the bowl game (or the day of, as we learned with Enos) and that way it can be deemed they "parted ways" which may help any coaches in their future endeavors.

People are brining up good points, but people need to genuinely ask themselves this ... does Manny actually think his defense is a problem? I don’t think so. In yesterday’s presser he was talking about the defensive performance against Duke (LOL). This defense is his little baby.. the most he might do is scapegoat Baker, but anyone with a brain knows Baker is not the issue (he’s basically running Manny’s scheme).

But who cares, we aren’t winning chit with Manny anyways.

Just a question for the board, what would be the sentiment if we were UNC? Everyone is saying Manny is Mack's *****, and he certainly was on Saturday. But UNC lost to FSU and UVA this year. They're 7-3. Miami lost to Clemson and UNC, and finished 8-2. I'm not saying anything about Diaz, just thinking of kind of a social experiment and how people behave/what they believe. I think if we were all UNC fans, we'd be jerking Mack off with both hands. But Manny should be shot behind the IPF. Is it just the nature of how they beat us? Genuinely curious as to how these programs are perceived.

Advertisement
People are brining up good points, but people need to genuinely ask themselves this ... does Manny actually think his defense is a problem? I don’t think so. In yesterday’s presser he was talking about the defensive performance against Duke (LOL). This defense is his little baby.. the most he might do is scapegoat Baker, but anyone with a brain knows Baker is not the issue (he’s basically running Manny’s scheme).

But who cares, we aren’t winning chit with Manny anyways.

If he's "only running Manny's scheme" then he ain't doing it nearly well enough, and therein lies the problem.

In 3 years under Manny, and 1 year under Baker last year, we had 1 game where we gave up over 7 yards a play. 1 in 4 years, it was Louisville last year. Against UNC, we gave up 10.37 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) yards per play. So the scheme may not be perfect. But it's never been anywhere near as bad as it was on Saturday.

Agreed. The solution isn't some impossible dream. Fix the problems in the offseason like you have at least tried to do the previous two off seasons. People seem to think that a head coach has to be some kind of coaching savant. Nah, he has to be able to target and hire assistants and recruit well. Manny can still save his job and keep the program on upward trajectory if he does the right thing. If he runs it back next year with this same group, they're done for.
Excellent post!!

Move Patke to ST only. Get rid of Baker and Rumph. Give DBs to Banda (on the hopes some of them can coach themselves). Bring in new DC and an LB coach.

Advertisement
The sterile pc talking points that come out of Make-a-Wish Manuela’s mouth just make me want to vomit. With that said, he’s probably a perfect fit for today’s UM Pres. and BOT. Cash those ACC checks and roll on. They aren’t smart enough to figure out that Alabama now gets a ton from out of state students because they win in the gridiron. Oh well, we’ve been awake Forest South for 15 years now. Is what it is.

He’ll either become Golden 2.0 or actually have a chance to keep improving.

if I were Manny and Blake James, I would open up the pocket book and hire one of the former HC’s with DC experience. My preference is Strong, but there are others who could also fit the Bill.

if he doesn’t fire Baker, I will lose all faith in him and if an optimist, partial-coolaid drinker like me loses faith in him, that means most of Cane Nation and his own locker room has lost faith in him.

It has already been said and it isn’t rocket surgery, you are your own defensive coordinator for the ball game, release Baker, and then at the end of the game, fire the entire defensive staff and find yourself a real defensive coordinator who can bring in fresh blood. I honestly don’t know how Diaz has a path to victory into an eventual championship title unless he starts at this point. Which would seem like the only obvious thing to do for anyone who’s actually serious at winning.
Do not want Strong because Flake will just make him HC when Mandy gets canned. Another lazy hire by this effing idiot.

Strategically, aside from the fact that Baker is not good, hiring a new DC during the offseason makes Alabama's game plan a little more difficult come September. If you're Manny and you really think a blowout loss to Bama could inevitably end your career, I would want to give myself as much of an advantage in that game as possible. You'd have a proper offseason with Lashlee and a brand new defensive scheme.

If I'm Manny I'm setting that as the target for the entirety of the offseason. Do whatever it takes to compete in that game. It could change the trajectory of everything, even a close loss.

Agreed. The solution isn't some impossible dream. Fix the problems in the offseason like you have at least tried to do the previous two off seasons. People seem to think that a head coach has to be some kind of coaching savant. Nah, he has to be able to target and hire assistants and recruit well. Manny can still save his job and keep the program on upward trajectory if he does the right thing. If he runs it back next year with this same group, they're done for.
There is more that goes in making a successful HC leading an elite program than what you just mentioned. The ability to be a strong leader with strong personality and effective management skills. A smart and tough CEO. Everything else will follow.

Remember this: Coker inherited an insane roster, successful assistants and roadmap for recruiting. Didn't have the leadership traits, players management skills or the tough personality. All achievements faded away in a few years.
I doubt that Manny has it in him to make Miami an elite program again.

I hope I'm wrong.

Advertisement
Best guess would be Baker, Rumph, and Patke are gone.

- Bring in Lovie Smith to be the D Coordinator.

Just a question for the board, what would be the sentiment if we were UNC? Everyone is saying Manny is Mack's *****, and he certainly was on Saturday. But UNC lost to FSU and UVA this year. They're 7-3. Miami lost to Clemson and UNC, and finished 8-2. I'm not saying anything about Diaz, just thinking of kind of a social experiment and how people behave/what they believe. I think if we were all UNC fans, we'd be jerking Mack off with both hands. But Manny should be shot behind the IPF. Is it just the nature of how they beat us? Genuinely curious as to how these programs are perceived.
If I were a UNC fan I would be happy the Tarheels finished on such a strong note. The ND game was disappointing, but UNC wasn’t out of the game until late 4th quarter (IIRC). UNC has a lot of returning talent, one key player being a star QB. The defense has some glaring holes. I would be concerned about the losses to FSU and UVA as these were games UNC should have won, and that’s bothersome given Mack’s history. I would wonder if the team will breakout to legitimately challenge Clemson or always lose a game or two they shouldn’t. Over two seasons all their losses were by a possession, except ND. Two year grade for Mack? B.

As a UM fan I am angry the Canes finished with such a poor performance. The Clemson game was disappointing as the Canes were outclassed in almost every facet of the game. The game was effectively over by halftime. Miami needs D’Eric King to return, otherwise the offense is in trouble unless TVD or another portal QB emerges. There is a void of talent at WR, but RB and TE are positive. The OL may have some promise, time will tell. The Canes did win games they would have lost in 2019, primarily due to King. Based on the Clemson and UNC games the defense has serious problems. The best players were transfers and may leave after this season. The LB and secondary rooms are a mess. For the second season in a row Diaz has not had the team prepared coming out of bye weeks, and collapsed in the finale at home. Two year grade for Manny? C.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Instead of taking responsibility for the performance he spreads it around...A teams performance is a reflectionof the head coach. Unfortunately, he has never really mentored under a great head coach. He is just faking it...he will never amount to much at Miami.
He peaked in February of 2019

Imagine giving up 550 rushing yards twice and you still bet on your scheme
It’s all he’s got. When he’s fired in a year or two he’ll be filling Coordinator job applications with his scheme on his resume.

Do not want Strong because Flake will just make him HC when Mandy gets canned. Another lazy hire by this effing idiot.
If I were a UNC fan I would be happy the Tarheels finished on such a strong note. The ND game was disappointing, but UNC wasn’t out of the game until late 4th quarter (IIRC). UNC has a lot of returning talent, one key player being a star QB. The defense has some glaring holes. I would be concerned about the losses to FSU and UVA as these were games UNC should have won, and that’s bothersome given Mack’s history. I would wonder if the team will breakout to legitimately challenge Clemson or always lose a game or two they shouldn’t. Over two seasons all their losses were by a possession, except ND. Two year grade for Mack? B.

As a UM fan I am angry the Canes finished with such a poor performance. The Clemson game was disappointing as the Canes were outclassed in almost every facet of the game. The game was effectively over by halftime. Miami needs D’Eric King to return, otherwise the offense is in trouble unless TVD or another portal QB emerges. There is a void of talent at WR, but RB and TE are positive. The OL may have some promise, time will tell. The Canes did win games they would have lost in 2019, primarily due to King. Based on the Clemson and UNC games the defense has serious problems. The best players were transfers and may leave after this season. The LB and secondary rooms are a mess. For the second season in a row Diaz has not had the team prepared coming out of bye weeks, and collapsed in the finale at home. Two year grade for Manny? C.
If nc doesnt win the acc or at least play for the acc championship next year thats gotta be a huge disappointment for them.no reason they should have more then 1 loss in acc play.

Advertisement
Back