Prediction on Manny's decisions in the offseason

Be prepared to get hammered over the head with these stats by Diaz in defense of he and his sons:

4th in TFL/game
11th in fumbles recovered
17th in yards/play
26th in turnovers gained
30th in sacks/game

These will be conveniently dismissed:

46th in scoring defense
45th in 3rd down % defense
67th in total defense

Advertisement
Be prepared to get hammered over the head with these stats by Diaz in defense of he and his sons:

4th in TFL/game
11th in fumbles recovered
17th in yards/play
26th in turnovers gained
30th in sacks/game

These will be conveniently dismissed:

46th in scoring defense
45th in 3rd down % defense
67th in total defense
Nobody is ignoring total defense or scoring defense.

Say we hire the a top notch DC, he also brings in his own staff. I don’t believe it’s enough to get us to the top tier of college football. Of course we improve, always in the 1-3 losses each year. That’s going to keep Manny around forever. My point is, everyone has to go, correct??

Advertisement
if this happens we will be looking for a new coach in 2021 off the heels of a 5-7 win season.
I just don't think this is realistic. I hope you are right, but I see Blake James shrugging his shoulders at a 5-7 season. I think we are about 2 seasons away from a new coach.

The season is over, bowl game or not.

Diaz should fire Baker now. If there is a bowl game he can be his own DC. In the meantime, he can begin a search for a new DC. The remaining staff can stay and continue to earn their salaries.

Hopefully the history of firing offensive coaches last year repeats itself on the other of the ball this year.
He’ll either become Golden 2.0 or actually have a chance to keep improving.

if I were Manny and Blake James, I would open up the pocket book and hire one of the former HC’s with DC experience. My preference is Strong, but there are others who could also fit the Bill.

if he doesn’t fire Baker, I will lose all faith in him and if an optimist, partial-coolaid drinker like me loses faith in him, that means most of Cane Nation and his own locker room has lost faith in him.

It has already been said and it isn’t rocket surgery, you are your own defensive coordinator for the ball game, release Baker, and then at the end of the game, fire the entire defensive staff and find yourself a real defensive coordinator who can bring in fresh blood. I honestly don’t know how Diaz has a path to victory into an eventual championship title unless he starts at this point. Which would seem like the only obvious thing to do for anyone who’s actually serious at winning.

Advertisement
I don't think Manny fires anyone.
1 - These are his boys.
2 - He'll say the stats back up good play throughout the season and the 40+ points scored by goods teams like UNC, NC State and Clemson is due to Lashlee running tempo and some "bad luck" or a "tough emotionally draining year".
3 - He can't hire another DC bc they won't run his defense - and that's not something he's going to give up this early in his HC career.

Stroud and Banda each have 5-star kids coming into their position rooms. He's not going to do anything to upset those guys.

Rumph has support from somewhere (former players, admin, something). Manny seemingly tried to force him out before and didn't/wasn't able to, so i can't see that happening now, especially since CBs didn't give up 500 yards rushing. Plus, who's going to coach the safeties with Rumph gone?

So Patke/Baker? Both LB coaches? Yeah it's possible but refer to point #3 above.

IMO, what he should do:

1. Fire Baker and bring in a DC with a different philosophy than his. Some new/contrasting ideas would be welcome.
2. Stroud to chief of staff. Ed Reed gets an ambassador role but you find a way to keep him in the fold.
3. Hire DL coach.
4. I don't feel as strongly as many do about Rumph, but writing was on the wall last offseason. Rumph gone. Tarvaris Robinson would be a great get.

I think Patke and Banda remain.

Last edited:
The season is over, bowl game or not.

Diaz should fire Baker now. If there is a bowl game he can be his own DC. In the meantime, he can begin a search for a new DC. The remaining staff can stay and continue to earn their salaries.

If history is an indicator . . . he fired Enos after the bowl, despite the fact that objectively speaking, Enos could and should have been fired before the bowl game. If he fires Baker, I think Manny waits until after the bowl game to do so.

He won't fire anyone of his guys until he finds them another spot or they find another spot. (or he at least tries). He will give Baker and company until the bowl game to interview for other jobs and find another place to coach. I dont see him throwing them in the trash that fast. They will all coach the bowl game for one final "hoorah" and then they will one by one move on afterwards. I think the only person who stays around is Banda. I think everyone else is gone. Maybe Stroud is kept. Our DL hasnt been horrible.

Look its hard to thinking clearly after that UNC game but the facts are..while Manny cant walk around Hecht with bravado of Tony Montana anymore..he still went 8-2 so while his offseason wont be coke, boats and hoes..it also wont be as bad as it was last year. I think Blake James and Manny will pretty much be on the same page that their needs to be a defensive overhaul liken to the one he did with the offense last season. Nobody was spared. And Manny cant look like a hypocrite either.

Advertisement
He’ll either become Golden 2.0 or actually have a chance to keep improving.

if I were Manny and Blake James, I would open up the pocket book and hire one of the former HC’s with DC experience. My preference is Strong, but there are others who could also fit the Bill.

if he doesn’t fire Baker, I will lose all faith in him and if an optimist, partial-coolaid drinker like me loses faith in him, that means most of Cane Nation and his own locker room has lost faith in him.

It has already been said and it isn’t rocket surgery, you are your own defensive coordinator for the ball game, release Baker, and then at the end of the game, fire the entire defensive staff and find yourself a real defensive coordinator who can bring in fresh blood. I honestly don’t know how Diaz has a path to victory into an eventual championship title unless he starts at this point. Which would seem like the only obvious thing to do for anyone who’s actually serious at winning.
Agreed. The solution isn't some impossible dream. Fix the problems in the offseason like you have at least tried to do the previous two off seasons. People seem to think that a head coach has to be some kind of coaching savant. Nah, he has to be able to target and hire assistants and recruit well. Manny can still save his job and keep the program on upward trajectory if he does the right thing. If he runs it back next year with this same group, they're done for.

if he's waiting for "one more game" to decide if Baker/defensive staff is good enough, then he's saying that what happens this last game could influence his decision on whether he keeps the staff or not. and frankly, it's a dumb policy.... to throw away an extra few weeks of searching to give the D staff "one more chance" to prove what we all know.. most of them aren't worthy of their positions...

we'll know if he's serious about his policy or not when the game ends.. if it's another poor showing against a decent offense, which we'll probably play, then he HAS to fire them. otherwise, we'll know he was just talking and buying time...

Just like with the offense, you give him a chance to correct his mistakes, only this time there is more pride on the line because it involves HIS guys and HIS scheme.

Must be fired: Baker, Rumph
Should be fired: Patke
Undecided on Stroud, Banda; don't care if he cleans house, but if he kept one it's probably Banda.

3/5 need to go, but I'm willing to guess we see only Rumph fired as a scapegoat
Yep - guessing Rumph, Blake and Patke being the wild card because he’s also special teams coach but he shouldn’t be coaching linebackers. I’d be shocked if he gets fired though. Maybe reassigned at worst.

Advertisement
i just need manny to have the balls to fire his friends unlike Golden and unlike Richt! Fire your friends and hire someone who is a proven recruiter and technician even if they are young and unproven! Like Wisconsin did with Jimmy Leonhard

The regression this defense has had this season is a major cause for concern. I don’t honestly think any of the coaches have done anything worth keeping them around. Maybe you don’t land James Williams if Banda wasn’t here, but the S play has been horrible since Jaquan and Redwine turned pro. The D Line is soft, CB recruiting is putrid and the LBs are probably the worst in P5 football. These coaches are way out of their league. I’ll give Manny the benefit of the doubt that’ll he’ll make changes based on the last two offseasons with the changes implemented with the offense. But if he doesn’t I’d imagine he’ll be coaching somewhere else in 2022.

Baker is more likely gone than Patke. We have maybe a top 5 special teams in the country...how much you want to credit that to Patke is open to debate.

I think Rumph graciously accepts another position at a school like FIU.

stroud probably retires or takes an off field role. I think he was never a long term solution given his health history. Served his role as a bridge between Simpson and the new guy.

Hope he cleans house 100%. Banda can be a closer (not an evaluator) on the trail and official team mixologist but he’s trash as a position coach

Advertisement
Back