Spring PractiSe #2: Wednesday March 6

Advertisement
Unfortunately, we don’t have that luxury.

Given that the the win-now position Mario has put himself in heading into Year 3 and the financial commitment given to a top tier QB in Killa Cam, you can’t just bank on the unpredictable. If the DBs still stink to high heaven in the fall and there’s no depth, you can’t just grab someone from the portal. You’re **** out of luck.

Our DBs are going to have to relearn the position inmediatamente, and I’d still bet money we add (at the very least) one starting-caliber corner. Mario is going to make sure there are as little holes as possible on this roster, because we finally have something special at QB.
Why do the CB's need to relearn the position?

Addae was actually a great teacher, he just wasn't a recruiter. At the end of the day, the DC tells the DB coach how he wants the technique taught. It's the same stuff from last year. It's Guidry's stuff.

Addae was actually a great teacher, he just wasn't a recruiter. At the end of the day, the DC tells the DB coach how he wants the technique taught. It's the same stuff from last year. It's Guidry's stuff.
I still can't put my finger on what it is about Addae that you bought into. Our secondary was a weakness 2 years in a row.

Yall are worried about the CB position, but I'm a **** defensive guy and I ain't even worried about that ****. Lol

Stop the run.
Don't turn the ball over on offense.
Out-score your opponents.
Football is generally that simple.

CB's don't win/lose games...especially not in college football. And if a CB is ever in the position to lose you a game, you probably did a lot of other **** wrong during the contest.

The biggest concern on defense is always the DL.
It's a lot easier to play defense when your opponent can't run the ball and they're always in long distance situations.

Advertisement
Yall are worried about the CB position, but I'm a **** defensive guy and I ain't even worried about that ****. Lol

Stop the run.

CB's don't win/lose games...especially not in college football. And if a CB is ever in the position to lose you a game, you probably did a lot of other **** wrong during the contest.

It's a lot easier to play defense when your opponent can't run the ball and they're always in long distance situations.
I agree with you!! I actually like what we have. Mostly young players will step up! And Guidry will scheme. Our dline will be a plus this year they will make them look good too. I think all this is coming from one darn practice where the wrs did good in one on one's. Now we need 3 portal dbs an everyone is trash typical Cis bull****

Cause I've seen him coach. 🤷🏻‍♂️
And I understand that talent matters and the on-field results aren't always an indication of individual coaching.
I guess my push back is an effective teacher is able to get his message across. I think you are speaking more to his knowledge base.

Stop the run.

@Memnon
Round 1 Sport GIF by UFC

Stop the run.

Not trying to debate whether CB matter or not but man just reading this reminded me of the Rutgers Bowl Game.

Rutgers literally beat us just by running the ball, honestly the most frustrating game ive ever watched. Just killed us every time gaining 6-9 yds every time they ran it. **** Im not even sure if our DB's even played that game we could have had revis, deion and NTL and it wouldnt have mattered.. SMH WE GOTTA WIN THIS YEAR I CANT TAKE IT

Advertisement
Cap Crap - I just spoke to a good buddy of mine in the AD that was at practice today. TFWIW but apparently the staff is going to make Lou a captain for the UF game. Went on to say that his knowledge of the playbook is unmatched amongst his OL counterpart and the staff sees him as another coach out there, ability be damned.

He also told me that the Washington OG transfer really wanted to come but Mario couldn't promise him a starting job because he was torn about benching his nephew.

We seriously might be f*cked.
Lying Pants On Fire GIF

Stop the run.

They won't lose or win you games week in and week out. But in the big games they absolutely can. It's a given(moving forward )in the interior were gonna be fine on both sides of the ball. As we both know elite line play is what makes elite skill position players. But in games where ur top end on top end,that's where the dogs separate from the pack. I'm not worried about cb play this season. Far more worried about safety but we do look like we've got alot closer as a squad. Hopefully that carries over throughout adversity. When this freshman class contributes well be ready.

Not trying to debate whether CB matter or not but man just reading this reminded me of the Rutgers Bowl Game.

Rutgers literally beat us just by running the ball, honestly the most frustrating game ive ever watched. Just killed us every time gaining 6-9 yds every time they ran it. **** Im not even sure if our DB's even played that game we could have had revis, deion and NTL and it wouldnt have mattered.. SMH WE GOTTA WIN THIS YEAR I CANT TAKE IT
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

Advertisement

Addae was a great teacher, and yet essentially all our corners despised the man?

Sure, let’s go with that.

Even if Addae was an okay coach, he certainly didn't do anything to stabilize the room. 4 of the current projected starters are transfers in. That's crazy. And while they all seem good quality Canes material, none are exceptional Day 1 Day 2 types.

I don't know if it's Addae or really bad recruiting and culture or something else specific to the DBs. But while we've had some talent over the past few years, that DB room has been paper thin and spotty for a long time, especially when T-Rob joined the team. He put together what looked like a decent class on paper. But they've literally done nothing so far and nearly all are gone.

While we've thankfully found some decent (but not good enough) DBs in the portal, we've had an unending stream of transfers out. Hall, Clarke, Frierson, Blades, Keyshawn Washington, Dunson, "Tae", Rogers, Roberts (portal in then portal out same offseason), Graves, Curtis. So far this off-season, only Devante Brown (portal in, 1 season, portal out) has transferred out. I assume that's because the remaining players want to see how they click with the new DB coach. But meanwhile 4 of our top 5 guys left to turn pro. One can only pray that group finally stabilizes at a much higher level of productivity.

What you @'in me for?

Everybody always has the tough guy CB's don't matter opinion until we play teams like UNC & LVille our Corners get torched.

And let's not forget the key moments in the FSU game...

8ibj6w.gif
8ibj4t.gif
8ibjfk.gif
8ibjtl.gif
8ibk2y.gif

That's the one yall betting the house on, who was Coached by yall's favorite DB Coach...

But if yall like it, I love it 🤷🏽‍♂️

Advertisement
They won't lose or win you games week in and week out. But in the big games they absolutely can. It's a given(moving forward )in the interior were gonna be fine on both sides of the ball. As we both know elite line play is what makes elite skill position players. But in games where ur top end on top end,that's where the dogs separate from the pack. I'm not worried about cb play this season. Far more worried about safety but we do look like we've got alot closer as a squad. Hopefully that carries over throughout adversity. When this freshman class contributes well be ready.
As long as we are healthy at CB, we're good imo (Good not great or spectacular or anything - we will clearly have an issue against teams with speed). That could be a big if though. I'd say there is about a 98% chance we are improved at CB over last season regardless though. A full season of Damari and Jadais and the potential of Stafford and whoever we choose to play nickel is far better than Jaden Davis and Couch. And Porter is returning. Like legit I don't see what path it would take for CB to perform worse this season than last.

Safety I'd say is weird. I'm not really worried that we have guys that can play, even with a few injuries. I'd just say the most likely outcome is that our safeties are just solid. I doubt they'll be straight up bad, but highly doubtful they'll be more than above average at best though. A clear drop off of talent. HOWEVER with the significant improvement I expect at EDGE (due to health and exp) and the almost certainty we get better cb play this season, I really wouldn't be surprised for our safeties this year to have a better net value to this defense than last season.. Sure I don't see us getting as many big positive plays, but If we can cut down on the big negative plays out of our safeties, this position group could end playing much better than current expectations. I know everyone loves playmaker Safeties - I do too. But when you have trash CBs, they CAN hurt far more than they help, and thats what I think happened last year for sure.

As long as we are healthy at CB, we're good imo (Good not great or spectacular or anything - we will clearly have an issue against teams with speed). That could be a big if though. I'd say there is about a 98% chance we are improved at CB over last season regardless though. A full season of Damari and Jadais and the potential of Stafford and whoever we choose to play nickel is far better than Jaden Davis and Couch. And Porter is returning. Like legit I don't see what path it would take for CB to perform worse this season than last.

Safety I'd say is weird. I'm not really worried that we have guys that can play, even with a few injuries. I'd just say the most likely outcome is that our safeties are just solid. I doubt they'll be straight up bad, but highly doubtful they'll be more than above average at best though. A clear drop off of talent. HOWEVER with the significant improvement I expect at EDGE (due to health and exp) and the almost certainty we get better cb play this season, I really wouldn't be surprised for our safeties this year to have a better net value to this defense than last season.. Sure I don't see us getting as many big positive plays, but If we can cut down on the big negative plays out of our safeties, this position group could end playing much better than current expectations.

We could really use a CB1. Davis was CB1 last season and handled the best WR, and was often beaten as you know. Now Porter has to take on that role. Just because Porter looked good covering the second best WR doesn't mean he's a lock to be any better than Davis was covering the WR1s. I like Damari's potential a ton. But just look a few posts up at Memon's shots of him at FSU and you'll see he's a projection still.

Advertisement
Back