Practice Report 8-7

Advertisement
-The players in the mix for kick returns today were Dorsett, McGee, Antonio Crawford, Malcolm Lewis, and Herb Waters. Crawford took one all the way.

-Ereck Flowers is still running with the 1st team. The 1st team O-Line from left to right is looking like this right now: Bunche-Felicano-McDermott-Linder-Flowers.

-Seantrel was with the 3s.

-The second team DBs were looking like this for most of the day: McGee-Davis-Highsmith-Bush.

-McGee was relegated to the 2nd team and Ladarius Gunter was on the 1st team along with Tracy Howard. Gunter intercepted a deep ball thrown by Ryan Williams.

-There were some impressive performances by the defensive line today. Shayon Green had a couple of sacks. Jelani Hamilton was playing with an attitude and got into the backfield multiple times for stops… DeQuan Ivery was a beast in goal-line work. He stopped nearly every run up the middle in goal-line situational work.

-A surprise in the LB group was Thurston Armsbrister, who was playing alongside Denzel and Buchanon on the 1st unit. Eddie Johnson also got some 1st team snaps and was very active. Denzel was all over the field like usual.

-Mike James broke a long TD run that was set up by a huge block by Maurice Hagens. Hagens also caught a number of balls out of the backfield.

-There was a lot of good action in the goal-line situational work. Ivery was a monster as I mentioned before. Perhaps the most exciting play of the day was when a fade was thrown to the back of the endzone to Herb Waters with Deon Bush in coverage and Bush went up at the highest point to knock it away. It was a great showing of his athletic abilities.

-There was a scrum between Brandon McGee and a receiver. It was on a run play and McGee was being blocked. The two had to be separated by teammates and coaches.

-In a slow day offensively, the best showing on that side of the ball was Robert Lockhart. He had 2 or 3 touchdowns in goal-line work and made acrobatic catches doing so. They threw the ball out to the perimeter a couple times to him as well and he made defenders miss on the screen.

-Dallas Crawford continues to make an impact in the running game. He may be involved in the offense more than people expect this season.

-Overall, it was a fast-paced practice today that the defensive side of the ball dominated for the most part. Gunter was very impressive in coverage and there weren’t many passes completed downfield. Neither QB was overly impressive. Two guys that continue to see very rare reps are Ricardo Williams and Jalen Grimble.

I can't wait to see what this kid can do..
Thanks Pete!

Advertisement
I think it's a good thing that the defense is a little ahead of the offense. That is normal this time of year. Remember last year we were getting reports if the offense lighting it up. Could be a good indicator.

/or just a lucky day lol

Man, in that picture of Ivery, Earl Moore and Porter, Porter looks small.....and he ain't small.

Ivery and Moore are some wide body DL's like UM has been needing. Glad to see them on the roster.

I wasn't high on Ivery out of high school, but he has shown great strength and run-stopping ability.

Man, in that picture of Ivery, Earl Moore and Porter, Porter looks small.....and he ain't small.

Ivery and Moore are some wide body DL's like UM has been needing. Glad to see them on the roster.

I had same initial thought, but that picture angle is extremely deceptive.

Advertisement
Peter, 2 questions....

How has Briscoe looked? Never hear much about him in these reports.

Is Grimble going to get a RS? Or you see him leaving the progam soon?

Advertisement
lol@gamineal running to Ferman's board to ask about the QB's doing "just okay".

gamineal

Post #4783
SW Florida
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: Gary/Matt....how are the QBS doing some say Reply
Thanks, I just heard that neither one is tearing it up the first few days.. I just wanted to hear from someone on the ground

caneofny said:
Peter, 2 questions....

You can tell Briscoe hasn't lifted a weight in his life, could be special once he puts work in the weight room.

As far as Grimble, I could have sworn he redshirted last season, but I don't want to speculate on his future here.

Advertisement
26canefan said:
lol@gamineal running to Ferman's board to ask about the QB's doing "just okay".

gamineal

Post #4783
SW Florida
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: Gary/Matt....how are the QBS doing some say Reply
Thanks, I just heard that neither one is tearing it up the first few days.. I just wanted to hear from someone on the ground

Well yea today they didn't look special, but Morris looked good Sunday.

caneofny said:
Peter, 2 questions....

You can tell Briscoe hasn't lifted a weight in his life, could be special once he puts work in the weight room.

As far as Grimble, I could have sworn he redshirted last season, but I don't want to speculate on his future here.

I thought Grimble played too much last year to shirt....

As for Briscoe, you see him gettin a shirt?

Petey, just wanna say you've gone all Willis McGahee circa 2002 on these reports. My hats off...

I wonder if Lockhart and/or Ivery will see goal-line action this year. They are particularly suited for that kind of role.

Advertisement
Back