Practice - Day 5

Barry Sanders? Is that you Clappy?

Brian Westbrook , Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn and many other good NFL back were in the high 190's , low 200's. Let's not act like you need to be 215

to be an everydown back in today's nfl u do. sanders went 200 easy. he ws just short at 5-8, westbrook was a good rb in a passing system. dunn was never the workhorse back. yes he got his share of carries but mike alsott got the most carries in tampa as long as gaining weight is done right and he doesn't lose his quickness he will be fine.

not saying all back have to be 215 but in nfl if u want to get 300 carries a year u better be more then 180. 190. yearby is 5-10. 5-11 going 210 won't hurt him any. as long as it doesn't take his quickness. yearby was never built on speed, he was always a quick cut back runner. as long as that doesn't change his weight shouldn't affect that.

Barry Sanders playing weight was 203 which is low 200's, Westbrook was a thousand yard back, that was one of the higher backs in touches ( receptions +rushes) , Dunn had multiple thousand yard seasons , and almost a 11,000 career rushing yards that's a lot off miles for a rb that was 187 pounds. Top 20 all time .

Walter Payton was 200 pounds ( arguably the greatest ). And was one of the most physical backs ever .

Like I said lets not act like you need to be 215-220 , that's dumb.

Yearby should never be over 205, he's short and doesn't have a huge lower half. He was noticeably slower last year , he was carrying too much bad weight and looks even bigger this year . That takes away from his strength as a runner.

Advertisement
Barry Sanders? Is that you Clappy?

Brian Westbrook , Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn and many other good NFL back were in the high 190's , low 200's. Let's not act like you need to be 215

to be an everydown back in today's nfl u do. sanders went 200 easy. he ws just short at 5-8, westbrook was a good rb in a passing system. dunn was never the workhorse back. yes he got his share of carries but mike alsott got the most carries in tampa as long as gaining weight is done right and he doesn't lose his quickness he will be fine.

not saying all back have to be 215 but in nfl if u want to get 300 carries a year u better be more then 180. 190. yearby is 5-10. 5-11 going 210 won't hurt him any. as long as it doesn't take his quickness. yearby was never built on speed, he was always a quick cut back runner. as long as that doesn't change his weight shouldn't affect that.

Barry Sanders playing weight was 203 which is low 200's, Westbrook was a thousand yard back, that was one of the higher backs in touches ( receptions +rushes) , Dunn had multiple thousand yard seasons , and almost a 11,000 career rushing yards that's a lot off miles for a rb that was 187 pounds. Top 20 all time .

Walter Payton was 200 pounds ( arguably the greatest ). And was one of the most physical backs ever .

Like I said lets not act like you need to be 215-220 , that's dumb.

Yearby should never be over 205, he's short and doesn't have a huge lower half. He was noticeably slower last year , he was carrying too much bad weight and looks even bigger this year . That takes away from his strength as a runner.

Speaking of Clappy and rb's he coached . Thurman was only 206

I'd say Yearby looks a little big but I'm not overly concerned. I didn't see any type of drop-off in quickness from his freshman year. He was just didn't have the holes to run through last year. I have no issue with him playing between 205-210. Especially if he's going to get a bulk of the carries. Remember when everyone flipped their **** because Duke bulked up from a frail 185 to a solid 205? Then they stopped complaining when he obliterated the rushing records. Just because Al Golden made some players gain too much unhealthy weight, doesn't mean that everyone should remain at their high school playing weight. I swear some members here want a team of peewee football players out there.

This thread is amazing - guys on here trying really hard to justify Yearby's belly (exhale, flapjacket) and other guys on here justifying his 215 planned weight. Smh

I can understand putting on a little more weight if he's wicked fast but yearby was a lumberer last year (given his size). With more weight he will be even more ineffective. There are some guys that simply can't play that well with a piano of fat on their back - yearby is one of them. His game is short, quick bursts of speed and change of direction.

Advertisement
Lol, you'll telling Yearby what's the best weight for Yearby. I'm sure Richt and the strength and conditioning coaches are fully aware of Yearby weight. Yearby knows he has to produce so he can take care of himself and his kids, I don't think he would do anything to hurt his chances of being able to make it to the league. Season is 6 months away lol.

This thread is amazing - guys on here trying really hard to justify Yearby's belly (exhale, flapjacket) and other guys on here justifying his 215 planned weight. Smh

I can understand putting on a little more weight if he's wicked fast but yearby was a lumberer last year (given his size). With more weight he will be even more ineffective. There are some guys that simply can't play that well with a piano of fat on their back - yearby is one of them. His game is short, quick bursts of speed and change of direction.

More innefective? Ran for 1k yards behind a girl scout oline.

Yearby's weight was fine last year. We needed him to handle a lot of carries and he wasn't fast to begin with.

He shouldn't get much bigger, and maybe could lose a couple pounds with Gus coming back, but people are overreacting. We freaked out when Duke got bigger and he ended up having his best season.

Advertisement
I never freaked out when Duke got bigger because he never looked bloated and sloppy, and he had speed to burn. Duke carried the additional weight beautifully.

Yearby isn't Duke. His game is different, and his skills are different.

And LOL at the mummies trotting out the 1k yards **** like that's some amazing barometer of success in these prolonged seasons. He had a decent season, but he can be a lot more effective running like he ran in HS. He's no battering ram bruiser back.

Most people fail to realize working fast twitch muscle fibers to increase speed has more to do with adding strength than anything else....if you add weight it has to be strentgh as well.....my question is..... how much stronger did his lower body get while adding weight this time around? My guess is.....last time Yearby added false weight very quickly before gaining strength resulting in reduced top end speed. Now that yearbys body is more mature, it's possible his strength may have caught up to his added body weight, giving him more power, top end speed and endurance.... If not, he should consider doing some sparq training after spring to at least add more burst.

lets be honest Charles has elite speed. yearby never has. he has elite quickness but not speed. barry was the most amazing rb I have ever seen I have never seen anyone like him before or since. and in today's nfl they look at back differently then they did when payton played. walter was a power back too that's whats amazing about him.

if yearby wants to gain weight that's fine as long as it doesn't take away his quicks. that's all I'm saying. this staff wants every players body fat pct at a certain rate per position so I don't expect yearby to become a 215 lb back. 205-210 at most and that's fine. just in nfl the do tend to look at lighter backs as just 3rd down guys especially with hands like yearby's. instead of as 3 down guys.

I'm pretty sure Coach Brown and Coach Richt have a good idea as to what weight they want Yearby to play at.

Advertisement

How do you know he's only gaining fat? All these guys do is work out. What if in his 3 years at Miami he has put on 30 lbs of muscle? Especially if a majority of the extra muscle is in his lower body and core?

You guys just assume this guy has been playing video games and eating a 20 piece from KFC every day his past 3 years, when it's probably been the opposite. When he says 212, I'm sure that's a lean as **** 212. After practice he probably weighs 205. A gallon of water later and he's up to 210-212.

Going by the eyeball test Yearby looked real good last year. Walton looked real good last year too on the 1 out of 3 carries when he was decisive.
RB is not an issue with the team. They are going to be real good at that position this year.

How do you know he's only gaining fat? All these guys do is work out. What if in his 3 years at Miami he has put on 30 lbs of muscle? Especially if a majority of the extra muscle is in his lower body and core?

You guys just assume this guy has been playing video games and eating a 20 piece from KFC every day his past 3 years, when it's probably been the opposite. When he says 212, I'm sure that's a lean as **** 212. After practice he probably weighs 205. A gallon of water later and he's up to 210-212.

Going by the eyeball test Yearby looked real good last year. Walton looked real good last year too on the 1 out of 3 carries when he was decisive.
RB is not an issue with the team. They are going to be real good at that position this year.

Look at his gut, I don't know. He could be working out every day but for all I know he could be eating fast food everyday.

I never freaked out when Duke got bigger because he never looked bloated and sloppy, and he had speed to burn. Duke carried the additional weight beautifully.

Yearby isn't Duke. His game is different, and his skills are different.

And LOL at the mummies trotting out the 1k yards **** like that's some amazing barometer of success in these prolonged seasons. He had a decent season, but he can be a lot more effective running like he ran in HS. He's no battering ram bruiser back.

Yep, with the goofball teams we play, 1k isn't exactly difficult, IMO. Look at his game splits.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back