Potential Portal DB’s (CB’s & S’s only)

Advertisement
This is a solid debate and ill weigh in on this particular point regarding the "Richard/Brown vs FSU" part..ill just say this, based on reports that we heard Richard wasnt ready and Brown being a TF going up against Coleman and JWilson...I absolutely expected Jordan Travis to have a career day in passing and for them to embarass those two. So I think posters who say that they held their own had expectations like myself that were pretty much on the ground. There was nowhere to go but up.

I am definitely excited about Ponds. I didnt know much about him prior to but after seeing some clips and reading up on his track speed and toughness...I am all in on him.

This is a solid debate and ill weigh in on this particular point regarding the "Richard/Brown vs FSU" part..ill just say this, based on reports that we heard Richard wasnt ready and Brown being a TF going up against Coleman and JWilson...I absolutely expected Jordan Travis to have a career day in passing and for them to embarass those two. So I think posters who say that they held their own had expectations like myself that were pretty much on the ground. There was nowhere to go but up.

I am definitely excited about Ponds. I didnt know much about him prior to but after seeing some clips and reading up on his track speed and toughness...I am all in on him.
Well those of you that expected to get torched may not have realized that those guys only averaged 50 ypg over the course of the season. They were thought of like Nabers and Thomas but that was not accurate then or now.

Advertisement
Well those of you that expected to get torched may not have realized that those guys only averaged 50 ypg over the course of the season. They were thought of like Nabers and Thomas but that was not accurate then or now.
National media got everybody freaking out about two mid-*** players last year. They were a walking perception vs reality meme.

Sure. We all know that now. LOL. That wasnt the narrative leading up to that game though. But water under the bridge. Brass tax, we need to upgrade the CB room and Ponds helps with that. He might not be Phillip Buchanan 2.0 but he will absolutely help raise the floor of the room.

UF and LSU been calling themselves DB U by having multiple midgets drafted first round, fast players, who not afraid to get in receivers face, can turn and run, located the ball and play the ball when its thrown. Fook the other stuff. 5'9, 5'10. Give me the track guys. Phil Buchanon was around this kid's size. How tall was Corn Elder. I want athletes. Not big 6'2 man running 4.6.

Advertisement
@Memnon agree with you completely on Ponds but I wouldn't be so harsh Jaden Davis getting picked in the 7th Round.

Only 11% of P5 players get drafted. Davis had limitations which you've pointed out and we need to upgrade, but he is a good football player.
Jaden Davis and Jon Ford are proof that the idea that kids staying all their 4 years doesnt change their draft status, is nonsense. And canes players need to cut this out. Leaving to be 5th, 6th and 7th round picks, when they are already earning money in college. Neither of those players gets drafted if they didnt come back. If you are limited physically u can only improve the intangibles and that comes from working on your craft and developing your brain. Cohen and James, LT etc gets better draft status of they come back as seniors. Even Kam.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If so then we don’t have a secondary one g5 transfer from James Madison isn’t going to fix this you guys are making it seem like our guys are trash and they’re not
Why you downing James Madison? Last season Bama with Saban took a CB from ULL which, check notes is the same conference James Madison is in. That player is now at Ole Miss after Saban left. Simply saying he is from James Madison is weird af. Like 10.4 is not 10.4, which is elite speed and only Chris Johnson compares from a speed stand point. Added to he has good film regardless of conference

Your whole argument, is he sucks because he is short and from James Madison. NFL draft had schools i never even heard about while our 5 star safety with freakish measureables, snuck into the 7th round.

One thing about JMU

They 1000% sale out to stop the run, get negative plays (Diaz defense but even more extreme, that is better against the run, at least vs. their level of comp)…Basically all out attack/blitz every play no matter the down.

Ranked 1st and 8th last 2 seasons in tackles for loss
Ranked 2nd and 1st last 2 seasons in ypr defense
Ranked 4th and 3rd in sacks last 2 seasons.

And those stats are given up while giving up a ton of big plays running and passing (bottom 30 in 30+ plays allowed)…They are an all or nothing defense that pretty much leaves corners on an island.

James Madison probably would have beaten us last year. Also, they were ranked for a few weeks
They lost one regular season game last year in OT, they also went on the road and beat UVA at the last minute. Same team we barely beat in OT at home.

Honestly, I agree. We’d be in a dog fight with them. They were a well-coached team, beat Troy too who was absolutely no slouch.

Advertisement
Back