Potential "Old Man" Poll

Do you prefer Portal era CFB or the before time?

• Today's game - I'm engaged and I like the excitement of keeping up with all the moves

Votes: 29 12.6%
  • The good old days - I don't even know who's on my team from year to year anymore

Votes: 100 43.3%
  • Doesn't really matter to me - I'll watch no matter what

Votes: 102 44.2%

• Total voters
While I also dislike the running clock rule, the game has gotten significantly longer in recent years. The average game was 3 hours and 27 minutes last year. Just 5 years ago the average game was 3 hours and 18 minutes. They were mostly under 3 hours back in the 80's and 90's.
i like the 3.5 hour tests of wills

Advertisement
Looong time lurker, first time poster here...I am totally on board with NIL, though there should be some accountability to the amounts being paid, but there is no real mechanism to enforce that. However, IMO the transfer portal is ruining the product on the field as a whole. You can already see the results by looking at college basketball with the one and done rule. When players are only on a team for 1or 2 seasons, continuity as a whole is limited and makes it a much more individual game than team game. Unfortunately it's why college basketball is only paid attention to for a month out of the year now.

As far as rule changes, IMO the running clock will do two things...1. Make for overall closer games due to limiting the amount of plays the better teams can run. 2. Flip side is that it might not be as "fun" when you're the better team. Those 56-7 games will be a thing of the past and games will be much lower scoring like the NFL. More games will be "coin flips" decided on field goals at the end. As long as those are in our favor, great, but if they aren't...Time will tell if that is a good thing or a bad thing

Looong time lurker, first time poster here...I am totally on board with NIL, though there should be some accountability to the amounts being paid, but there is no real mechanism to enforce that. However, IMO the transfer portal is ruining the product on the field as a whole. You can already see the results by looking at college basketball with the one and done rule. When players are only on a team for 1or 2 seasons, continuity as a whole is limited and makes it a much more individual game than team game. Unfortunately it's why college basketball is only paid attention to for a month out of the year now.

As far as rule changes, IMO the running clock will do two things...1. Make for overall closer games due to limiting the amount of plays the better teams can run. 2. Flip side is that it might not be as "fun" when you're the better team. Those 56-7 games will be a thing of the past and games will be much lower scoring like the NFL. More games will be "coin flips" decided on field goals at the end. As long as those are in our favor, great, but if they aren't...Time will tell if that is a good thing or a bad thing
Welcome to the posting portion of CIS!

The running clock really won't impact games that much. We're talking about 5 fewer plays per team, per game.

Advertisement
I’m going good old days cause I loved the one recruiting date in February where I’d take off from work or go in late so I could find out who we got and how it compared to other teams classes.

This new mess with kids coming ,kids going some kids commit on one date some on another isn’t for me cause I’m too old to put in the 15-16 hours a day trying to keep up with whose on the team and who isn’t.I fall asleep before I can get through the 20 threads telling me who is now here and who isn’t and by the time I get up half those kids that were here are now in the portal and kids that weren’t here when I went to sleep are now here through the portal.

The KISS method is best for us old guys and this new type recruiting ain’t that…
Agree 100%. Sorry, but I’m on old fart (entered The “U” my Freshman year in 1966), and while I hear all these arguments about the kids ”finally getting paid”, I am still of the opinion that the NIL situation, coupled with the Portal rules now letting players use NIL as leverage and hold schools hostage and to jump from one school to another literally every year, has ruined college football, and it it will only get worse. It’s no longer a “college” sport (like the old days), rather it’s a professional minor league, akin to what baseball has now. I don’t care how much Mario Cristobal “loves” Miami, and the “culture” he’s trying to re-establish, he will never have a “team” with an “us against the world” mentality (like the good old days), rather he will have a team with a “who can pay me the most” mentality, and that will ruin college football. We’re not to that point yet, but unless the rules change, that is where we (and every other college team) will eventually end up. Just my opinion, but what the f*** do I know? (Yeah, I know, a lot will say I don’t know a **** thing.)

Interesting thread to bring you out into the light.

Welcome, join the circus!

The theory of the "good ol' days" is much more appealing than the actual practice of them.

Certain programs...errr...conferences allowed to brazenly cheat under the watch of a feckless governing body that only sought to make examples of certain programs they were "encouraged" to target and/or thought would be the easiest to hurt?

No thanks.

I'd rather at least try to level the playing field and accept that there will be new ramifications no matter what but at least it leans a little more toward the benefit of the players and schools that want to spend but want to do it in a more transparent landscape.

And at the same time the thoughts running through Empy’s head are along the lines of:

New PoRster?
Friend or Foe?
Mensch or Muppet?

Hmmm, so many possible outcomes to ponder here???

Advertisement
If you remind yourself that paying players has always existed, there's no reason to get upset about NIL. If anything NIL has made it OK for everyone to do it instead of just the handful of schools the NCAA turned a blind eye towards.
I’m old as ***, class of 73. Have seen the program thru mediocrity and greatness. Correct that the power programs dropped bags to pad their talent and the NCAA ignored what was good for business. It also hurt our little secret to the NC, keeping our guys home. NIL/Portal has leveled that somewhat so potentially we can build towards greatness again. We win, we pay, we poach, they will come and stay. Good recruiting only goes so far. NIL/Portal supplement recruiting, coaching and winning.IMHO, we’re in the best position with all three then we have been in decades. So, *** yeah I voted for (a). Let’s ride this bytch. GO CANES#CANESNATIONLIFER🙌🏽

The running clock really won't impact games that much. We're talking about 5 fewer plays per team, per game.
It's possible that it won't impact it so much, but considering the avg College game currently has 40 more plays than the avg NFL game, that becomes significant. Especially when the best teams are averaging 7+ yards/play and higher on scoring drives. I do think scoring will take a hit and it will affect the better teams more than the others which will in turn make games closer. But it will be interesting to see the data at the end of the season.

Thanks. It's something that has concerned me for a while, which is why I decided to jump in here. College football is changing, there's no doubt about that. Time will tell if these changes are good or bad. Hopefully Miami can be one of the few able to compete when the dust settles. I use to love college basketball as I went to a "basketball" school at the time, though is now more of a football school but will be screwed going forward. But even I don't watch anywhere near as much college basketball as I use to. I seriously hope it doesn't happen to college football as well.

Advertisement
And at the same time the thoughts running through Empy’s head are along the lines of:

New PoRster?
Friend or Foe?
Mensch or Muppet?

Hmmm, so many possible outcomes to ponder here???
X7f2syFXD1BuRVP4vO (1).gif

So generic question for the board: Do you, as a fan of college football, think the new era of NIL and the Portal enhances your enjoyment of the game or lessens it? Not necessarily asking if it's good or bad - it's certainly good for the players - but rather if you enjoy the game more or less now.
As others have posted otherwise on cis, once the players with Covid eligibility expire I think things will settle down

Pre Arms-race college football was the ****.

Great players on lower levels teams made the sport so much more interesting and kept fan bases engaged

Advertisement

Like your post however basketball is limited to a month or maybe 2 months of relevance imo because of the number of games played—-bball only needs a couple special players to change the whole team so it’s comparing apples and oranges

Prefer today. NIL gives Miami more a chance to compete at the highest levels. The Portal is fine. In both cases I support what is best for the player, or at least support not restricting them while HCs make millions, assistants make six figures, some seven, and TV contacts are in the billions.

How this affects my enjoyment of the game is negligible. I do think NIL and the Portal will evolve over the next many years.

The recent-old days had the NCAA basically rigging CFB for the $EC whilst threatening other schools like our beloved Canes.

Pass.

Good old days. This era of college football sucks. It's progressively getting worse as the years trickle on. I used to like CFB more than the NFL but that isn't the case these days.

Even in the old days, I felt half our roster was either jumping ship for another program or leaving way too early for the NFL. Today at least everyone else is on the same boat.

Advertisement
Back