Potential "Old Man" Poll

Do you prefer Portal era CFB or the before time?

• Today's game - I'm engaged and I like the excitement of keeping up with all the moves

Votes: 29 12.6%
  • The good old days - I don't even know who's on my team from year to year anymore

Votes: 100 43.3%
  • Doesn't really matter to me - I'll watch no matter what

Votes: 102 44.2%

• Total voters

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
So generic question for the board: Do you, as a fan of college football, think the new era of NIL and the Portal enhances your enjoyment of the game or lessens it? Not necessarily asking if it's good or bad - it's certainly good for the players - but rather if you enjoy the game more or less now.

Advertisement
I think it enhances hope.

- Has enabled freedom of movement for players that corches have enjoyed since forever
- Has leveled playing field amongst greater number of teams
- Teams can get much better faster

Also, I'm 1,318 years old. I am the Highlander.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Today's game require year-round engagment. I remember buying a pre-season magazine, at the start of every season, and catching up with what happened in the offseason (incoming recruits, transfers, etc).

Today, I don't think we could fit all that in a few hundred pages.

I love the freedom today's player has. As a former collegiate athlete, I remember being at the mercy of my position coach and HC. I love watching a player exercise that freedom to make the best choice for them, in their opinion. It's concerning just how many freshman have entered the portal, but, like all other industries, I'm sure it will settle with time.

I do love the diversity of scheme, in today's game. Years ago, everyone lined up with a fullback and tried to beat you with Time of possession, and limited turnovers. Today, you see a mish mash of schemes that would of been seen as crazy decades ago. Everyone has their own version of the 'air-raid'. This is what I love the most about today's game. If your bored on a Saturday, just turn on a FCS game and see what coming (schemematically) in a few years.

Def old school for me. I dont mind the NIL at all, good for the kids.

The transfer portal is a problem though and that in turn makes NIL something that its not supposed to be.

Kids should be able to transfer, but must sit a year. Or could get a waiver under very STRICT criteria.
This. Question is a little more complex than one may think but i like this answer for covering those issues. Datta boy Mutombo

The transfer portal is a problem though and that in turn makes NIL something that its not supposed to be.

Kids should be able to transfer, but must sit a year. Or could get a waiver under very STRICT criteria.
i said this when all the NIL stuff started and people got mad lol. They had no idea how messed up this was going to get.

I’ll always enjoy the game. I’m glad to see the players benefitting from NIL but the transfer portal is out of control and doesn’t seem to benefit but a few of the players.

The college game has always had a lot of turnover just due to the fact that a player can only play a maximum of 4-5 years. I’ll always enjoy seeing the kids grow and develope into young men.

Advertisement
Tough to follow the new game when so fluid & rules change on a moments notice. The re-recruitment of players creates further havoc. The helter-skelter pace is also driving quality assistant coaches to the NFL.

I think that if they set limits on the number of transfers it would be better and make the kids sit out a year. Not necessarily change the ability to get NIL. Hard to be a fan of certain players on the team when you may lose them at any time. NIL is fine by me. But hold players responsible for their decisions. They are adults.

A lot of good and a lot of bad, but the bad typically will get more attention. And the bad is just so **** annoying, like with players holding teams hostage for NIL. This is coming from the last person who would fall into the “Old Man annoyed at everything” catey

Advertisement
So generic question for the board: Do you, as a fan of college football, think the new era of NIL and the Portal enhances your enjoyment of the game or lessens it? Not necessarily asking if it's good or bad - it's certainly good for the players - but rather if you enjoy the game more or less now.
This is missing a critical response or it needs altering. If you have good ole days - I don’t know who’s on my team, that skews it. There should then be one for - pre -nil though I follow and keep up with my team.

all the transfers also creates a mass amount of weird player alumni association

For example do people consider Jalen Hurts an OU player or a Bama player

same with guys like Rambo, Tyrique, etc.

Can we go back to the old days but still have Ruiz dropping bags behind the scenes like the Bama's/GA's/8&4's of the world?!?! Transfers are kind of hard to keep up with and this newer younger generation seems to be a bunch of coddled *****'s......call me old, whatever, but prove me wrong.....

This. 1000% facts.

NIL ✅
Transfer - Old Days. I'd take it a step further by saying only exceptions for immediate eligibility is if your Head Coach leaves. Keep it simple. You make a commitment, you stick with it unless the guy you gave your word to (HC), bails from his commitment.

Advertisement
Back