Potential OC prospect: Jeff Lebby (UCF)

Suppose Miami hired a guy without playcalling experience. Is your fear that he is going to call for a punt on 2nd down? I don't understand this obsession with playcalling experience.

We just had one of the most experienced and "successful" OCs in football (2 national championships, Heisman candidates) and he was awful since he ran an archaic system. I wouldn't take a chance on a fake OC in title only like Thomas Brown, but a guy like Bedenbaugh who actually designed the offense (I think the Clemson guy did too) is worth the risk, especially as he is very well known and would get recruits fired up.

I was half-kidding. No, I don’t think a new playcaller would punt on 2nd down. I do think playcalling is important. More interested if the candidate was fully involved in game planning. Like Bedenbaugh, Jeff Scott, and others.

Advertisement
Lebby would be a ballsy hire. I don’t know a lot about him. But I’m willing to gamble if it’s a guy who knows the Briles system inside and out because that’s what I want to run here.

He did a **** of a job getting Mack ready to play LSU. Mack improved tremendously over the course of a couple weeks and was competent against an LSU team that wiped its *** with our face (granted they were missing several guys, but they were still infinitely more talented than UCF). I love the way UCF plays offense.

Advertisement
farley2.jpg

If you are going with a guy who hasn't called plays, Bedenbaugh should be #1. Helped design the Oklahoma offense and he fixes the OL problems.
I agree 100%. If Manny doesn't kick the tires he deserves a kick to the ****.

Advertisement
The way things seem to be going he may not have a choice.
We've genuinely no idea how things are going.

Diaz could have interviewed all three of his OC candidates and found them wanting / been rebuffed / is waiting on contract stipulations / is waiting on filling out their staff before announcing them.

Or he could still be waiting to interview the mystery candidate (assuming we believe the Fedora and Applewhite reports). We're all just speculating at this point.

Could pull Lebby as a position coach with a guy like Applewhite for example. No reason we can’t out pay UCF for him in a lateral position move.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lebby would be a ballsy hire. I don’t know a lot about him. But I’m willing to gamble if it’s a guy who knows the Briles system inside and out because that’s what I want to run here.

He did a **** of a job getting Mack ready to play LSU. Mack improved tremendously over the course of a couple weeks and was competent against an LSU team that wiped its *** with our face (granted they were missing several guys, but they were still infinitely more talented than UCF). I love the way UCF plays offense.
He didn’t just learn from Briles. He’s his Son-in-Law

The one thing I like about UCF is they split WR from just inside both sidelines at times leaving cornerbacks on island and leaving middle of field open.

We've genuinely no idea how things are going.

Diaz could have interviewed all three of his OC candidates and found them wanting / been rebuffed / is waiting on contract stipulations / is waiting on filling out their staff before announcing them.

Or he could still be waiting to interview the mystery candidate (assuming we believe the Fedora and Applewhite reports). We're all just speculating at this point.

Very true but if you've been following this program the past 15 years you can understand why I have doubts about this administration

Advertisement
Back