Potential OC prospect: Jeff Lebby (UCF)

Hufftwoseven

Y’all know Cribby got caught with the ratchet
Direct spawn of the Kendal Briles coaching tree. 2 years as passing game coordinator and 5 years as RB coach at Baylor during their run. Currently QB coach at UCF, lead McKenzie to a great year and even coached up the back up to run the offense without missing a beat.

Name was brought up by Barton Simmons on the Cover 3 podcast. Episode “What Coaches Might Make The Jump To The NFL”. They discuss Manny hiring and the topic of where he should go with OC within the first 15 minutes of the podcasts. So this is Barton’s plead, he says absolutely Miami should go spread because that type of talent is readily available in south Florida every recruiting cycle. He throws the name Lebby out there, says that should be Manny’s first call. Says he can come down and install exactly what he’s doing at UCF with twice the talent.

Interesting take as I have not seen his name pop up at all. Simmons did mention that he was looked at by Tennessee and Ole Miss this off season.

What’s yours guys take?

No true OC experience but he knows a system that has had plenty of success. Doesn’t seem like we are getting a home run hire so maybe go with a young innovative guy? I know most will probably hate the idea but I think it’s interesting to say the least.

Advertisement
Direct spawn of the Kendal Briles coaching tree. 2 years as passing game coordinator and 5 years as RB coach at Baylor during their run. Currently QB coach at UCF, lead McKenzie to a great year and even coached up the back up to run the offense without missing a beat.

Name was brought up by Barton Simmons on the Cover 3 podcast. Episode “What Coaches Might Make The Jump To The NFL”. They discuss Manny hiring and the topic of where he should go with OC within the first 15 minutes of the podcasts. So this is Barton’s plead, he says absolutely Miami should go spread because that type of talent is readily available in south Florida every recruiting cycle. He throws the name Lebby out there, says that should be Manny’s first call. Says he can come down and install exactly what he’s doing at UCF with twice the talent.

Interesting take as I have not seen his name pop up at all. Simmons did mention that he was looked at by Tennessee and Ole Miss this off season.

What’s yours guys take?

No true OC experience but he knows a system that has had plenty of success. Doesn’t seem like we are getting a home run hire so maybe go with a young innovative guy? I know most will probably hate the idea but I think it’s interesting to say the least.

If you are going with a guy who hasn't called plays, Bedenbaugh should be #1. Helped design the Oklahoma offense and he fixes the OL problems.

Advertisement
No true OC experience.

AGAIN? More of this?

Of the guys on the list with true OC experience, who’s the leading candidate?

Some of you fans act like the University if Miami is at the point we can go out and poach the greatest OC, get real, we’re late to the party and our program isn’t held in that regard anymore. Those days are over for now and until we see steady success we aren’t getting back to that capability.

Of the guys on the list with true OC experience, who’s the leading candidate?

Some of you fans act like the University if Miami is at the point we can go out and poach the greatest OC, get real, we’re late to the party and our program isn’t held in that regard anymore. Those days are over for now and until we see steady success we aren’t getting back to that capability.

Oh be quiet. You quoted me mid-edit. This hire could at least be interesting.

Advertisement
If you are going with a guy who hasn't called plays, Bedenbaugh should be #1. Helped design the Oklahoma offense and he fixes the OL problems.

That guy is on a powerhouse team with talent stacked like crazy on offense. He’s now been to the CFB playoff two years in a row. Unless we offer him a big pay raise why would he leave a good gig he has right now with Riley to coach under Diaz? Doesn’t sound realistic to me, would love it though.

Oh be quiet. You quoted me mid-edit. This hire could at least be interesting.

Agreed, interesting for sure. Someone who should get an interview I think. I’m just not blown away with the other candidates that’s the thing. This guy is the youngest of the bunch and is doing more with less at UCF, granted it’s AAC but still.

He did call plays for one season. So for all those "he never called plays before" people, that goes out the window. Had the number one scoring offense and number three total offense...on the NAIA level. He coached at Southeastern in Lakeland in 2017.

Advertisement

Would be a great hire. Not sure he’d leave a great situation at OU.

Makes $625, probably need to add $250K or more it that.

What’s yours guys take?

Already got a first time HC so..

No

First

Time

Coordinators

For the love of god.

He did call plays for one season. So for all those "he never called plays before" people, that goes out the window. Had the number one scoring offense and number three total offense...on the NAIA level. He coached at Southeastern in Lakeland in 2017.

I did read that but I don’t even know what NAIA level is so I didn’t mention it lmao

Advertisement
Lebby might be a great choice, but Manny cannot ****** pig him at the U right now. Maybe somewhere down the road.

No true OC experience.

AGAIN?

You’re right, might be interesting

Suppose Miami hired a guy without playcalling experience. Is your fear that he is going to call for a punt on 2nd down? I don't understand this obsession with playcalling experience.

We just had one of the most experienced and "successful" OCs in football (2 national championships, Heisman candidates) and he was awful since he ran an archaic system. I wouldn't take a chance on a fake OC in title only like Thomas Brown, but a guy like Bedenbaugh who actually designed the offense (I think the Clemson guy did too) is worth the risk, especially as he is very well known and would get recruits fired up.

Agreed, interesting for sure. Someone who should get an interview I think. I’m just not blown away with the other candidates that’s the thing. This guy is the youngest of the bunch and is doing more with less at UCF, granted it’s AAC but still.

All good. I’m not blown away either.

My odds are on Clemson’s Jeff Scott. Waiting to announce after the NC game.

Advertisement
Back