Potential depth chart changes moving forward

Honestly feel like they’d hoped the older guys could keep the game close because of their maturity. If problem is, our older players have played like **** in big games. We open with Bama next year, time to give the young guys more reps so they’re ready next season. And in all honesty they are probably the better options moving forward.
The old guys suck AND make bone headed plays. They won't get better. You won't know what you'll get with the young guys bit they can't be any worse, plus they should actut improve. Zero downside trying this out.

Advertisement
After doing some digging, below are some potential personnel changes to keep an eye on:

WR- This one has been covered well by @CanesAreAble and others, so I'll just say this: Miami cannot be Miami without impact players at WR. Fortunately, this is an easy problem to fix. Easily attainable recruits like TuTu Atwell and Elijah Moore would have changed the face of this offense. We can get those type of kids without bags. Relevant to this year's team, expect a youth movement. The immediate beneficiary will be Keyshawn Smith.

LB- We will be seeing more of Sam Brooks and Corey Flagg. Both played well in their opportunities on Saturday.

QB2- This is more opinion than info, but I want to see TVD assume the backup role. Kosi is Kosi. We saw that on Saturday. I don't believe his experience makes us any more likely to win in King's absence. Develop your future.

PR- I was calling for Restrepo since camp, which made me feel a little dumb when he fumbled the punt into the endzone. Personally, I'd give him another chance. The dog mentality that carried him to Miami made him too eager to make a play in the rain. Hopefully, he's learned from his mistake. The first PR was actually a smart play-- Clemson had already touched the ball, so Restrepo can pick it up and try to make a play without fear of fumbling. If he did fumble, the team has the option of choosing possession at the spot of the first touch. The other names to watch here are Pope, Hall and Keyshawn Smith.
Definitely time for Keyshawn. Redding should take advantage of the change in plans, also...

The old guys suck AND make bone headed plays. They won't get better. You won't know what you'll get with the young guys bit they can't be any worse, plus they should actut improve. Zero downside trying this out.
Better physically also...

Do you think this would be resolved if we played a more traditional defense? I mean I know Manny won't ever do that but just curious.
It's not the Defense we play, it's the personnel groupings & the way Baker calls the Defense.

The 4-2-5 is not a foreign scheme, it's been in college football for a long time & dozens & dozens of teams run it, it's just the Diaz/Baker version of it leaves lots of holes open in the 2nd level of the Defense because he doesn't teach our LB's properly gap integrity & how maintain lane discipline.

The biggest issue is we don't play fast instinctual LB's, for whatever reason Diaz/Baker prefer these big slow trodden LB's that can't flip their hips & change direction.

Advertisement
At WR, gotta go with Smith & Redding.

At LB, the 4 man rotation should be Brooks, Flagg, Steed & Huff. Jennings can still get reps on short yardage situations, McCloud needs to hit the pine for good, he just doesn't have the football IQ or the lateral movement needed.

At LG, gotta sit Jakai Clark down for Pitt, too many undisciplined penalties, put Traore in there.

At Safety, time to play Balom & Harrell with Bolden, AC5 just can't keep himself in a game & Gurvan is just unfocused.

Overall, Manny & Baker place too high a premium on Seniority & it's going to continue to bite them in the ***, it will be Manny's downfall if he doesn't recognize & correct this issue. Put your best 11 on the field, it doesn't matter if they're a TF or a Red Frosh just find the best 11 & play'em, this steadfast hold of sticking with upperclassmen come **** or high water is only hurting the team & stunting the growth of the younger players with talent.
What about Reed at OG?

On Cue, play all the freshmen! Than we go 6-5 it will be, fire all the coaches! I will certainly agree, WR we can get the young pups way more snaps but its also very hard to do that when you can't even get a first down. 8,3 and 6 will get phased out, we certainly should't play those three at the same time. When it comes to linebacker and safety you all are barking up the wrong tree. All the linebackers will play all year and you all know that so why do you get your hopes up. I mean, McCloud has been downright dog**** in 3 out of 4 games, dog****. He doesn't read his keys at all but we all know he will still play. At least Jennings played a physical game Saturday, he provided thump in the middle and was our 2nd leading tackler. Blisset had more tackles than Brooks and Flagg combined and some of you guys are acting like they played like superstars Saturday night. Linebacker and WR pretty much lost the game on Saturday because none of them can make a play.

Advertisement
Personally this is what I would do at WR...

WR Keyshawn Smith
WR Dee Wiggins
Slot Mark Pope

Pope is so much better in the slot, and Keyshawn is much bigger than him for the outside and just as fast..Harley or Knighton can take over PR duties... Payton and Redding and rotate out with the WRs...

Just re-watched the game

And HOLY **** does McCloud SUCK

Reading every play wrong, taking the wrong gap, most big plays are because he takes a bad angle, is fooled by the QB or totally reads the play wrong.

Needs to be replaced by Sam Brooks ASAP

Jennings is ok, but TAC or Huff needs to play more and replace him long term as well. Flagg looked ok but also looks slow and somewhat out of shape

Last edited:
This staff needs to stop ******* around and being cute by playing upper class-men and get the talent on the field, like every other big time program in the country

Changes that need to happen ASAP -

1. Brooks in for McCloud
2. Campbell or Zion at LG instead of Clark
3. Keyshawn Smith, Restrepo, Redding playin way more than Harley, Wiggins, Pope
4. Gurvan instead of Amari Carter at least 80% of the time

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's not the Defense we play, it's the personnel groupings & the way Baker calls the Defense.

The 4-2-5 is not a foreign scheme, it's been in college football for a long time & dozens & dozens of teams run it, it's just the Diaz/Baker version of it leaves lots of holes open in the 2nd level of the Defense because he doesn't teach our LB's properly gap integrity & how maintain lane discipline.

The biggest issue is we don't play fast instinctual LB's, for whatever reason Diaz/Baker prefer these big slow trodden LB's that can't flip their hips & change direction.
Instincts is the key word. We've been lacking that at LB for a long time.

Find the hole, don't try to come under the blocks, you lose.

Just re-watched the game

And HOLY **** does McCloud SUCK

Reading every play wrong, taking the wrong gap, most big plays are because he takes a bad angle, is fooled by the QB or totally reads the play wrong.

Needs to be replaced by Sam Brooks ASAP

Jennings is ok, but TAC or Huff needs to play more and replace him long term as well. Flagg looked ok but also looks slow and somewhat out of shape

McCloud is to linebackers, as old Asian women are to drivers

Both are terrible in traffic and navigating through it

Not talking about this game specifically, but I've been saying forever that LBs are destined to fail in this system.

The whole DL is so aggressive in getting upfield, esp the DTs shooting the gaps, that the LB get engaged by untouched OGs so often that they have no chance.

Yes, the guys we have out there now also lack instincts and are slow to react (and bad tacklers and... nvm). But we saw it with Shaq and Pinq. I don't think they never improved cause of a lack of talent, I think it was because the scheme never allowed them to show improvement.

The best version of this manny defense we’ve seen is 2017-2018. We had dominant interior line play with trustworthy ball hawking safety’s with two good corners. Edge play was good too. But mainly most of all shaq and pink were good and smart players.

Our corners are not as good. Our safety’s are good but jj and red wine together is better than only bolden. Interior play not as good. Edge play maybe better rushing the passer but not against the run. Linebackers way worse. Personnel decisions also a factor.

The wildcard is the baker influence. It’s up to your own opinion how much that hurts

Advertisement
Back