Postseason South Florida Top 50 (21-30)

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Decided to drop two of these today because I probably won't be able to do one tomorrow.

Before the high school season began, I released a list of the top players in South Florida (Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach County) regardless of class. After seeing another full season of these prospects, the new list is here. I will be releasing a new group of 10 each day until we reach 1-10. These rankings are based off of multiple things:

1) On-field production at the high school level.
2) Projected success at the next level. (Size/speed is a big part of this)
3) Importance to their team.

These are my evaluations from watching these prospects in games, camps, practices, highlights, etc.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

21. 2014 ATH - Travis Rudolph (6'1", 185) - Cardinal Newman - Previously #41
The 'Canes 2014 commitment is one of the biggest movers on this list. I was skeptical of his explosiveness before the season, but he really took it to another level this season. I had originally heard that Miami was recruiting him as a corner, but after seeing his highlights from this season, it's easy to see his talent on the offensive side of the ball as well. He is great at getting yards after the catch.

Junior highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/507309/highlights/33658375

22. 2015 CB - Tyrek Cole (5'11", 175) - Miramar - Previously NR
Cole is 4th highest ranked 2015 prospect on this list. He had a breakout year that is evidenced by schools like Miami, Florida, and West Virginia offering him. He has great length and ball skills and he is still young and growing. Some close to the Miramar program believe that he can actually be better than 2012 5* prospect, Tracy Howard.

Sophomore highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/967431/highlights/23252402

23. 2014 QB - Quinton "Winky" Flowers (5'11", 185) - Jackson - Previously #27
Flowers falls under the category of "importance to the their team" because nobody in South Florida was more important to their team than him. Jackson made it to the state semifinals due to a few heroic performances by their athletic QB. Winky's stats won't blow anybody out of the water, but you have to watch him play in a game to truly appreciate how talented he is. He is out there running for his life on every play and having to make impossible throws outside of the pocket in order to give his team a chance to win. If he played for a school such as Booker T., he would put up comparable numbers to Treon Harris. Flowers is adamant about playing quarterback at the next level, but he can also play safety and receiver effectively in my opinion. For the record, I believe he can play QB in college. I would just like to see him work on his elongated throwing motion, but that is fixable.

24. 2014 CB - Quincy Wilson (6'2", 200) - University School - Previously #26
Wilson is one of the most physically gifted players in the country. At 6'2", 200, he can run a 4.4 and cover like a smaller corner. It's tough to get a read on the type of ball skills he has because he was rarely thrown against all season long. While his size screams safety, he has proved he can play corner in college and it seems like that is what he prefers as well.

25. 2014 DE/OLB - Mike Smith (6'2", 215) - Miami Northwestern - Previously NR
This is a prospect that quarterbacks aren't very fond of. Smith lived in opposing backfields all season long and was yet another breakout star that catapulted his way onto this list. I was at 5 MNW games this season and he stood out in all of them. He has a quick first step and does a good job of "bending" against opposing tackles. Smith is a terror off the edge and he should become a very well-known name in the offseason. Will be a 4* level prospect if he adds needed weight.

Half-season junior highlights:
[video=youtube;UlNKX7eAtqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlNKX7eAtqI[/video]

26. 2013 LB - Skai Moore (6'3", 215) - University School - Previously NR
Moore was one of the most impressive players I saw this season. I went to see University twice (Chaminade & Westminster) and he was the best player on the field in both games. He is extremely versatile from the linebacker spot and is one of the top coverage linebackers in the country. I personally believe that Miami made a mistake by not offering him. Moore is committed to Rutgers.

3-game highlights:
[video=youtube;mh9_ziSa2kY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh9_ziSa2kY[/video]

27. 2013 RB - Joseph Yearby (5'9", 185) - Miami Central - Previously #5
The Central running took one of the biggest plunges on the list, but it isn't due to a lack of production because he was still one of the best backs in South Florida. My question with him is if he will be able to continue this success at the next level with limited physical ability. He is very quick and has great feet, but he has a smallish build and does not have great speed (4.6 range most likely). He could still have a solid career in college, and he will go down as having one of the best high school careers in state of Florida history, but his lack of either size or speed raises concern in my opinion.

Junior highlights:
[video=youtube;qbuJ-ulBuSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbuJ-ulBuSI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

28. 2014 WR - Johnnie Dixon (6", 190) - Dwyer - Previously NR
The junior is the total package at receiver. He has good size to go along with game-breaking speed. Already garners an offer from Miami and the 'Canes are after him hard.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/582881/highlights/35617388

29. 2014 ATH - Isaiah McKenzie (5'8", 170) - American Heritage Plantation - Previously NR
McKenzie was arguably the most explosive player in South Florida this season. The two-way star is an incredible return man, slot receiver, and corner. At 5'8", some compare him to former FSU CB Greg Reid. He is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

Half-season highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/167780/highlights/26274419

30. 2014 ATH - Treon Harris (5'11", 180) - Booker T. Washington - Previously #15
Much like Yearby, Harris' drop does not have anything to do with his production, as he accounted for 50 total touchdowns this season (35 passing, 15 rushing). His drop is more about the fact that Harris is not an exceptional athlete. Interestingly, he compares very much athletically with his brother, Thearon Collier. As Miami fans remember, Collier was a very good football player who made a lot of big catches, but was not fast or big. Harris could play slot receiver in college, but I see his big money position as cornerback. There is no doubt that he is a great football player and he is the engine that makes the Booker T. machine run as smoothly as it does.

Junior highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1505830/highlights/32872414

Advertisement
Starting to get interesting. Hard to comment without knowing who is ranked higher but feel like Winky is too low and even though Yearby had a drop in production he took a steep drop from top 5 if I remember correctly. Treon probably could be a little higher too. Gonna be interesting how it shakes out, good for discussion.

I have to disagree on Yearby, from his highlights it looks like he was great feet and quickness to hit holes and the agility to make people miss in the open field...he would be great in a zone blocking scheme...kind of reminds me of graig cooper

I have to disagree on Yearby, from his highlights it looks like he was great feet and quickness to hit holes and the agility to make people miss in the open field...he would be great in a zone blocking scheme...kind of reminds me of graig cooper

He does have great feet and agility. I mentioned that in his breakdown

Advertisement
Peter,

Great list! Thank you for bringing quality insight and information. CIS is the BEST Canes site I've seen!

but u don't think it will translate to the next level? or u feel like even with the feet and quickness he will only be an average back at the next level?

but u don't think it will translate to the next level? or u feel like even with the feet and quickness he will only be an average back at the next level?

It could translate and I said he could have a solid career, but I don't see him having anything more than that.

Advertisement
I thought Rudloph decommitted?

Not "officially" he just said he isn't 100%.

Whatever the **** that means, either way he has a chance to be in the top 10 of this thing by the time he graduates. Exciting prospect IMO.

it means he wants to be able to take some visits.

I mainly said that as a joke. I know exactly what it means its just funny how a "commitment" just doesn't mean much anymore, and a 2014 is borderline meaningless.

He shows elite potential on both sides of the ball though so hopefully its a kid we can stay on.

Advertisement
jhall, i knew what you meant. just a comment to the original post regarding rudolph.

First time I seen Isaiah McKenzie's film, I'm impressed, I hope he decides to come here if we offer alongside Sony

Advertisement
Winky should be higher, IMO. As an athlete and football player, there aren't many better. He's also the most important player to his team in South Florida.

I dont understand why Yearby fell down to 30. I thought he was too high to begin the season at I'd put him somewhere in 14-16 range. What I dont get is how he dropped because he was small and doesnt have elite speed its not like he lost speed or size since his sophmore year.

Advertisement
Back