Post Game Recap: NC State

View as article
Another game where we can’t muster 4 YPC against a P5 team. Do y’all still think this team can run the ball?

Average RB’s and an average run blocking O line. Yet y’all’s favorite HC wants to run it 40 times a game. Comical.
Yeah you're just wrong here. That's including TVDs sacks - which have literally nothing to do with the run game.

Fletcher averaged 5ypc.

Advertisement
I don't think Dawson is THE problem. I think the QB play is THE problem and that he has no faith in TVD - cause he has sucked balls, and no faith in Emory - cause he was a true freshman making his first start... And I can't imagine he'd have a whole lot of trust in Emory making an away start against our biggest rival either.

That's why I said Dawson just needs to say **** trust, and have faith. He needs to call FSU as if he had full trust in Emory. While all yall ***** and moan about the style we've played the last few weeks, I don't think the actual strategy was bad. It pretty much worked. The problem is you use that strategy but hope your QB is going to get right and wont stack horrible turnover after horrible turnover and play his worst 2 games in his career. You hope that during the game he starts making some ******* plays. And when he doesn't do that, you just fall back on play a physical game and great defense. And while yall don't like it, it worked against GTech, It worked against Clemson, and it was working against NCSt - we just didn't ******* get the 4th and 1... The problem is you absolutely can't do that against UNC or FSU cause they'll just blow by you...
Well what other reaction should people have to the Offense???

We’re playing like Iowa right now & people are just supposed to be happy about that?

It didn’t actually work against any teams worth a ****, UVA is literally the 2nd worst team in the ACC & we barely beat them, when we were supposed to blow them out. This hand the ball off & kick FG’s strategy only works when you’re playing a team that doesn’t have a pulse.

It didn’t work against NC ST, because in 12 possessions & 70 plays, we managed to score 6 points using this brilliant strategy. Against a team that can barely throw the ball their **** selves. We got lucky against the likes of Clemson & UVA, because we were fortunate to play home games & still needed extra over time quarters on short field possessions just to win those games. That’s not a sustainable model for success & certainly isn’t a strategy you can take on the road in a hostile environment & expect to win with.

Playing into the Defenses hands & shortening the field increases your odds of losing. The way we’re playing now all but guarantees it because we can’t do anything besides run straight forward & Defenses figure it out after 2 drives that we have no vertical threat & all they have to do is load the box.

All I know is I’m hammered and I’m not drunk enough to not be on this message board reading the goat’s write up. This is what brokenness feels like. Mario has destroyed my hope of seeing Miami win in football in the next 8 years. VinceCarterItsOver.gif

Well what other reaction should people have to the Offense???

We’re playing like Iowa right now & people are just supposed to be happy about that?

It didn’t actually work against any teams worth a ****, UVA is literally the 2nd worst team in the ACC & we barely beat them, when we were supposed to blow them out. This hand the ball off & kick FG’s strategy only works when you’re playing a team that doesn’t have a pulse.

It didn’t work against NC ST, because in 12 possessions & 70 plays, we managed to score 6 points using this brilliant strategy. Against a team that barely throw the ball their **** selves. We got lucky against the likes of Clemson & UVA, because we were fortunate to play home games & still needed extra over time quarters on short field possessions just to win those games. That’s not a sustainable model for success & certainly isn’t a strategy you can take on the road in a showtime environment & expect to win with.

Playing into the Defenses hands & shortening the field increases your odds of losing. The way we’re playing now all but guarantees it because we can’t do anything besides run straight forward & Defenses figure it out after 2 drives that we have no vertical threat & all they have to do is load the box.
1) We're not playing even 5% as inept as Iowa is offensively, and you know that. 95% of their drives are ending in punts lol. Ours are ****ed mistakes like turnovers, but we're not nearly that bad..

2) Yeah it works against teams that don't have a pulse ... except it also worked against Clemson. I literally said that strategy doesn't work against UNC/FSU. That's specifically why I'm saying you can't use that strategy just because you don't trust the QB. I said I wasn't too against it when the hope was TVD would get out of his slump. But he didn't, instead he got even worse. So then I'm saying Bench TVD and then **** that strategy against FSU cause there is no chance it'll work. That's the part I'm saying Dawson better get right. I'm not saying these strategies were sustainable or that I like them. I was saying against like Clemson when we're starting Emory, yeah it made sense. But for me I really did not expect TVD to fall off a cliff so ******* bad. I don't think anyone on this staff did. I think Dawson wants our offense to be a whole lot more like the frst half of the season, but just doesn't have any faith in our QBs. Against FSU he better find that faith.

3) It barely worked against these teams cause we have 16 ******* turnovers since GTech. That's how you lose 5 games, not just 3.

Advertisement
View attachment 264442

Offense:

Tyler Van Dyke - 21/38 173yds 0TD’s & 3INT’s

Mark Fletcher - 23car 115yds & 3rec 17yds

Jacolby George - 5rec 59yds

Colbie Young - 4rec 41yds

Xavier Restrepo - 3rec 35yds

Offense gained 292 yards total (173 passing & 119 rushing), off 70 plays at 4.2 yards per play, gaining 19 first downs while going 4/15 on 3rd downs with 35:55 in time of possession.

The Offense in the first quarter was slow & methodical with a 12 play 43yd drive & 9 play 66yd drive, both ending with Field Goals. This is good, running the ball, establishing the line of scrimmage & playing the field position game while wearing the Defense down is exactly what UGA & Michigan does. Passing the ball effectively is overrated, scoring TD’s is overrated; as long as we dominate the line of scrimmage & play Defense we can win every game we play.

TVD with another terrible decision on the very bad pick; he has a Seam & a Go route, Brashard wins on his route but the ball is thrown to inside leverage allowing NC ST’s CB to fade back & get an easy pick. It was an underthrown ball as well. These were my exact words in my UVA recap last week: “It’s very clear he’s a shot fighter & needs to be benched for the rest of the season. This was the worst game he’s played in his career, not only is he still hurt, but he looks completely mentally checked out & lethargic. He’s not seeing the field in full scope & the best strength of his ability which was his Deep ball is now diminished because his hand/arm is weak. He’s a liability as a passer & is costing the Offense at a greater loss than his worth. He’s finished at Miami & simply doesn’t have the competitive edge needed to compete at a high enough level.”

It was absolute Coaching malpractice put TVD back out there after throwing that awful pick, he should’ve been benched as soon as he came back to the sideline. To trot him back out there is clear example of horrendous decision making by the head man in charge.

After Killa Kam gets another INT to flip the field back in our favor, in just 4 plays TVD gets sacked & fumbles the ball. That puts his turnover counter at 9 turnovers in his last 4 games, he is absolutely shellshocked & cannot play anymore. He’s done as a starting QB for this team & it’s up to the HC to step in & put a stop to this. One of the staples of Mario’s tenure at Oregon post Herbert, was to be able to win in spite of QB play & not because of it, well thankfully, Miami has reached that point. We’re playing Iowa ball now & we’ll definitely be prepared for our B1G move in the distance future; Chess not Checkers.

The Offense isn’t just in a drought or a downslope, it’s literally in a mausoleum it fckin DIED.

We look like Oregon in 2020 when they had Tyler Shough at QB, we need to complete the circle & hire Joe Moorehead as the next OC after he gets fired from Akron this offseason. But what matters the most is as long as we just keep pounding away, eventually we’ll get close enough to the Red Zone so that Borregales can kick as many FG’s as his legs & feet can handle for the rest of the season in 4 quarters of Football, so that’s a plus.

We had just 140yds in the first half...

First drive of the 2nd half, 8 play 48yd drive with 6 runs & 1 pass, then a missed FG. But at least we got into NC ST territory & flipped the field, so even though we missed the FG it was basically like a Punt. But this is exactly what we want the Offense to be. Run, run, run, FG. Good sh*t fellas!

Second drive of the 2nd half, 3 plays 4yds... TVD sacked, run with Don the Gawww, check down to the ET (Extra Tackle) McCormick. IMO, we should’ve just ran the ball on that play, throwing it to Tackle is a wasted opportunity to give our RB’s more carries & more yards. Hopefully, we don’t do that anymore for the rest of the season. No more passing please.

Finally, we had a 12 play 72yd drive in the 4th quarter that got us down to the 3 yard line & on 4th & 1 we hand off to Fletch which was the correct call. That drive was not about scoring, it was about punishing the Defense & tiring them out while flipping the field position. We didn’t need to score in that situation, just continue hammering away at NC ST’s DLine & take time off the clock. That was good Football right there.

Then of course on the very next possession after not converting on downs & a NC ST TD, TVD throws another bad pick. Putting him at 9 turnovers in his last 4 games. Then he of course not being satisfied with that ends the game on another INT, giving him 10 INT’s.

Last week vs UVA was the worst game he’s played in his career IMO, until tonight. TVD shouldn’t take another snap for this team for the rest of his career. Bench him, let him heal up, & enter the Portal for next year. Time to burn Emory’s Redshirt & let him finish out the season. Or better yet, just do away with the QB position altogether & just go full Wildcat/Wing-T Triple Option for the rest of the year. Direct snap to Fletcher with 10 blockers in front of him.

On the bright side, Mark Fletcher played great. He ran hard & kept his feet moving. He’s a big battering ram & reminds me of Laurence Maroney with less speed. Good for him getting a 100+yard game. He should start for the rest of the season & keep getting the bulk of the carries. Fits perfectly with what we’re doing offensively.

TUfF & fiZZiCULL!

Defense:

James Williams - 5tks

Francisco Mauigoa - 5tks 1.5TFL’s & 1 sack

Corey Flagg Jr - 5tks

Jaden Davis - 4tks 1 sack 1TFL & 1FF

Jared Harrison-Hunte - 4tks

Rueben Bain - 3tks 1TFL

Leonard Taylor - 3tks

Wesley Bissainthe - 3tks

KJ Cloyd - 3tks

Davonte Brown - 2tks

Damari Brown - 2tks

Kamren Kinchens - 2tks 1INT & 1PD

Jacob Lichtenstein - 1tks 1TFL

Defense only gave up 231 total yards (123 passing & 108 rushing), while holding NC ST to 4.8 yards per play, getting 5 TFL’s, 2 sacks & forcing 2 turnovers.

Defense held them to 130yds in the 1st half & allowed just 2.6 yards per carry.

On NC ST’d first TD drive, Concepcion went for 45yds total off 2 plays, with the drive culminating in a blown coverage by Wesley Bissainthe biting down & misreading the ball fake, JW doesn’t shift over to cover the flat & Jordan Poole leaks out for an easy walk-in TD. No communication by the Defense on that play, everybody was expecting a run play & didn’t even bother to read their keys.

Defense played absolutely lights out in the 3rd quarter particularly, holding them to a staggering 2 yards. The longest play for gain they had in the 3rd quarter was a 5yd pass to Trent Penix (giggity).

Leonard Taylor & Bain continued on the trend of creating a heavy amount of pressure upfront. Morris had no time to actually process & make throws down the field. We kept their Offense out of rhythm for most of the game, aside from trick plays they really couldn’t move the ball at all. JHH played well also.

Francisco Mauigoa with another great hyperactive game, he’s a disruptive force attacking the pocket, he’s a straight torpedo when Blitzing & gets after the QB with bad intentions.

James Williams is the Enforcer of the Defense, he’s a hard hitting tone setter. He makes a lot of undisciplined mistakes, but that’s not his fault. His job is to lay the wood & bring the boom on every play. That was a really smart horse-collar tackle in the 4th quarter with less than 6 minutes left on 3rd down while NC ST is driving the length of the field. Then he made another great play when he attempted to tackle Kendrick Raphael & didn’t sink his hips or square the target to wrap. Instead he threw his shoulder up high & Raphael bounced right off him, but again, that wasn’t his fault.

Miami had held NC ST to just 63yds rushing up until that 31yd TD by Raphael. That’s all they needed to seal the game, because even with 4:54 left on the clock, it was a forgone conclusion we weren’t gonna be able to come back & score enough to make NC ST sweat.

Nice play by Jaden Davis on the CB Blitz that lead to a fumble recovery in NC ST’s territory. Of course we couldn’t capitalize off it.

Sucks that we lost Daryl Porter Jr, looked pretty bad in the area of a high ankle sprain. Not saying that’s what it was, just speculating. Not that it really matters, because we’re not ever going to know what his lower extremity injury is anyway, top secret information & whatnot.

We got to see the Brown brothers at CB, but they weren’t really challenged for most of the game like they will be vs FSU & LVille. Doesn’t really make a difference IMO considering our CB’s were going to have a rough go of it no matter who starts against FSU’s WR’s. But we’ll get to see Addae’s top quality development next week...

Overall the Defense played well enough to win this game, outside of literally 2 plays, the Defense did more than enough to keep NC ST from blowing the game up. If we could simply score a TD when it was 6-10, we win this game. But as I stated earlier, scoring TD’s is overrated, right guysm?!?!

Welp, our dream has finally come true & we’ve metamorphosed into what Mario envisioned us to be, TUFF N FIZZICULL. The formula to us winning & is here, PHONEBOOTH FOOTBALL!!!

For everybody that parroted the notion that people were being overly negative after the last 2 games we’ve played even though we won, THIS. IS. WHY. Because despite winning ugly, we barely got by the skin of our teeth against a really bad UVA team & without the benefit of playing all our games at home, we’ve been exposed as a team. Coming into this game we had 3 out of our last 4 games on the road against teams with a combined 25-7 record. With BC, FSU & LVille all winning today, our remaining schedule combined record is now 28-7, not including NC ST.

I pointed out that road games are much tougher for us than people would realize because our team doesn’t travel well. Playing FSU next week & finishing the season against a BC team with a good Defense (especially their secondary) means we got 2 more opportunities to get our asses kicked & given the lack of leadership we have as a team, it is highly unlikely we rise to the occasion & play beyond anything we’ve shown over the last 5 weeks.

The wheels have completely fallen off on the season, this is setting up to end in a embarrassing disaster. What has happened to this team is a phenomenon called regression toward the mean; this is who we are & outside of a few anomaly games, we play like this every year. It was supposed to change with having an ELITE Top 10 Coach at the helm, but it’s clear it’s gonna take him another 6 years of rebuilding before we can expect any real significant improvement. Luckily, he’s an outstanding recruiter & has stacked our classes with top tier talent, so once we rid the team of all the Manny Diaz jags, we will finally see what the real Miami is made of. Bro.

I implore you all, do not blame this on Mario, this is NOT his fault. He inherited this wretched team & has had to suffer while trying to bring us back to prominence. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it wasn’t built in a month, it wasn’t built in a year... It will take the full 8 years of Mario’s contract before we can really bring this thing to fruition. In fact I would argue he probably needs an extension right now just to be sure, but under no circumstances should you at all question, criticize or doubt him. He is THE man for the job. And the ONLY Coach that can win at Miami. Just sit quiet & be patient. Once we get Michael Pratt next year we’ll be winning Rose Bowls in no time, guarantee it. Bro.

Remember, it took Michigan 6 years before Harbaugh was able to build them into the powerhouse of integrity that they are now, same thing with UGA, those are the models we need to follow & as of now we’re on the right track. Loses are never fun, but they can serve as learning experiences for the future; winning is hard & let’s not act like we’re not 6-3 & Bowl eligible. That’s a huge improvement from last year, we’re making progress. Bro.

Next week is the biggest game of the season, we go up to our hated nemesis up in Doak. Normally for games of this magnitude, you can throw the records out & expect a heated intense rivalry game. I’m not so sure that happens this time.

Einstein allegedly once said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again expecting different results. Continuing to start TVD would be akin to covering ourselves in blood & jumping in shark infested water expecting not to get eaten. If the HC cares about this game & cares about this team, he cannot start TVD against FSU; if he does then he either doesn’t trust Emory or something far worse is at hand...

How you do anything is how you do everything (bro) & how we lose is with a litany of turnovers & dumb undisciplined mishaps the define the character of the team & structural makeup of leadership within the program. This team doesn’t play smart because they don’t know how & they don’t know how, because they’re not being taught how. They’re not being taught how, because the people in charge of teaching them how to play smart, don’t know either.

The season is gearing up for the patented Canes losing streak, which is another historical time honored tradition unlike any other (Jim Nantz voice), that every Miami Corch goes through as a rite of passage. But thank goodness we have a “tOp 10” Coach that can prevent that from happening... Bro.

Sidebar: I encourage all of you to go back & rewatch Miami vs NC ST 2020; appreciate & pay homage to D’Eriq King & Rhett Lashlee, you’re never going to see anything like that again.

Go Canes

Great post as always but

Raphael Warnock GIF by GIPHY News

The coaches has failed this team by simply not doing what was needed weeks ago. Decision makers making bad decisions..Next week is going to blood bath and my goofy *** will watch the whole game.

Advertisement
This falling off a cliff after the bye week on offense needs to be studied like a new medical discovery lol. I don’t think i have ever seen anything like this
Once we have a bye week our team just says, “Welp! That’s enough Football for the year, see you fckers in January!”

Everybody just kicks their feet up & coasts; the Coaches prepare their resume to get new jobs elsewhere & the players go on permanent vacation, everybody just takes the bye as meaning “Good-BYE Football!”

Very winnable game. We’ll end up 6-6 at this rate. TVD has been done. He’s costing games. I suppose now is not the time to say I preferred Dan Mullen uh? This will be painful to watch I imagine..

I listened to a post game call in show. A caller had a very interesting comment. Actually, it was question.

Why could NC State scheme plays for their most explosive player ( who happens to be a true freshman), but we don't?

Our most explosive home run hitting player barely gets any touches. Meanwhile, our opponent schemes their true freshman plays at RB, wildcat, and WR. These plays were schemed with a Sophomore QB with only 6 starts under his belt delivering the ball.

I'm no longer upset with TVD. He is who he is. As someone summed it up, It's like being upset with your 3 legged horse for not winning the race. You should be upset continuing to put that 3 legged horse in the races.

It's time to move on. Get Emory and Jacurri snaps. Let them have something to build on for the future.

I'm sure the coaches will put our 3 legged horse out there against FSU. Don't be upset with the horse. Be upset with the horse's owner.

Advertisement
Fantastic (but disheartening) thread and write-up.

Poor TVD; I feel for the kid although I bash him to pieces for being incapable and more. Emory may be too far from ready for prime time, perhaps ever, so Dawson (or HC) have no real winning QB answer for now. And despite the sarcasm, even they know an effective passer is a necessity for a successful offense.

But long ago our overpaid HC/recruiter should have evaluated this properly and sought better (QB?)personnel. Maybe it was NIL-issues, but as he's seemingly done the same in other jobs, recognizing and utilizing and securing winning QBs (and successful offenses) is apparently just not Mario's milieu. I hate he hasn't yanked him (as deserved) but the problem goes much deeper. I hope he somehow wakes up and smells the roses, or just goes to Pasadena to live.

It's 60% TVD, 20% Mario and 20% Dawson.

TVD, because he has mentally checked out, and can't execute the offense. Its the same stuff over and over.

Mario, because he doesn't make a change at the QB spot, despite him being all about competition. I can't remember a QB with that many turnovers over the past four starts and he keeps playing without being pulled.

Dawson, because he does a poor job of schemeing and playcalling.

They have one more remaining game to prove to me that I was right giving Mario a second chance. If not, well, I'm waiting for the new guy after that.

Ironically, I was dreaming about this game whilst having a horrid night of sleep. We were training 10-7 and Mario just pulled TVD...

Advertisement
Florida state is going to bounce to a power conference before we do, they won’t get many more chances to play us, and they want to leave as big brothers. They want to beat us by 60 next week, and they probably will.

I listened to a post game call in show. A caller had a very interesting comment. Actually, it was question.

Why could NC State scheme plays for their most explosive player ( who happens to be a true freshman), but we don't?

Our most explosive home run hitting player barely gets any touches. Meanwhile, our opponent schemes their true freshman plays at RB, wildcat, and WR. These plays were schemed with a Sophomore QB with only 6 starts under his belt delivering the ball.

I'm no longer upset with TVD. He is who he is. As someone summed it up, It's like being upset with your 3 legged horse for not winning the race. You should be upset continuing to put that 3 legged horse in the races.

It's time to move on. Get Emory and Jacurri snaps. Let them have something to build on for the future.

I'm sure the coaches will put our 3 legged horse out there against FSU. Don't be upset with the horse. Be upset with the horse's owner.

Advertisement
Back