Post-Game Reaction (For Rational People Only)

FL Cane

Senior
Obviously, not happy about this loss. This is a game we should've won, and our mistakes did us in. Right now, I'm more frustrated than anything else. Some thoughts on tonight and for the weeks ahead.
  • We have a solid defense. Kevin Steele did a great job tonight, and our defense has really taken a step forward compared to last year. We had our mistakes and some missed tackles here and there, but all around, this was a solid defensive performance. Our DL looked good, and our secondary did what it needed to. For the first time in a while, at no point did our defense put us in a position to lose this game. In fact, they put us in a position to win it multiple times.

• Football is a game of luck in some ways, especially on TO's. A&M got every bounce tonight, and we didn't get any. That won't always be the case, and we need to generate TO's. You can't win a game like this without them.

• Our WR room has major problems. This will need to be an area of focus for our next few classes. Wayyyyyyy too many drops tonight. Brashard should've had that last catch to convert, and he missed some other ones today. Losing Restrepo was a huge loss for this team and game, and we need him back ASAP. Until then, someone needs to step up.

• OL played the best it has in a very long time. We got the run going, and TVD didn't go down once tonight.

• We underutilized our TE's. Mallory didn't look bad today, and Arroyo had a nice catch early in the 2nd.

• We have a solid RB group. If Chaney and Citizen were in the rotation, this would be one of the top RB groups in the country. However, Parish made a massive mistake by dropping that pass early in the game. Had he got it, we would've been 1st and goal inside the ten.

• TVD wasn't what we needed him to be to win this game. He was better in the second half, but it's evident that he's not on the same page as his WRs, and doesn't trust them. He needs to be better and learn from this experience.

• Hot take here - for some - but I didn't have an issue with what Gattis schemed up most of the night. We didn't have an issue moving the ball, but our RZ offense has to improve. The play calling inside the 20 is on him, but our personnel severely limits us. Either way, he needs to do better. The opportunities were there, and our guys did not execute. Multiple dropped passes and blown plays that would've gone for big yardage or even a TD.

• On this point, dont y'all remember how we constantly went 3 and out with Lashlee? The 21-second drives? The same running plays and bad OL over and over again? He was a good OC here, and TVD did well in his system but let's not rewrite history. How Gattis ends up is TBD, but we didn't lose because of his play calling. We lost because we did not execute.

• Mario would've been hailed as a clock management genius had we won. His clock management wasn't the reason we lost tonight. It was all about execution, and our guys needed to follow through.

• Going back to our Orange Bowl loss in 2017, we've lost these types of games by a combined score of 177-91 since then. I'm not a moral victories guy - and today's game is nothing but an L we could've avoided - but for the first time in a long time, we were actually in this type of game for 4Qs. That's an improvement.

• On this, our boys didn't panic tonight. In years past, we would've had 100 yds of penalties, be dancing on the sidelines, and be down 28+.

• We absolutely blew this game. Tyrique's muffed punt was a dagger we couldn't recover from. In the future, with better personnel, we will. We don't have that team yet, though.
We get a tune-up game next week, and after that, a bye before our conference schedule starts. Getting over the UNC hump will set the tone for conference play. Am I happy with what we did tonight? Absolutely not. We blew what should've been a nice win. However, you'd have to be blind not to see some major strides from last year. Defense is miles better, we actually had a competent game plan, and we didn't get outcoached. For us to get better, we have to execute. No way around it. Our boys lost today. For once, it's not entirely because of coaching.

Overall, I believe this is a team that'll go 9-3/10-2. Nobody other than Clemson has a defense like the one we played tonight, and I still have faith in TVD to figure things out. Also, remember that this isn't going to be a short process. Imho, we're (at best) 2-3 years away from making a real push. Until then, our boys must keep their heads down, buy into the process, and start building for the future. Getting to the ACC Championship is the goal for the immediate future. Long-term, I'm not worried. For once, I could see the progress and not be left hopeless by a loss like this.

Advertisement
Going back to our Orange Bowl loss in 2017, we've lost these types of games by a combined score of 177-91 since then.

We lost this game 17-9. Not sure what your point is, we are exactly statistically in line with the scoring average in “these types of games”…

Advertisement
As I try to look at the positives and take the long view, only thing I can’t stop thinking about is what if A&M sucks?

Sure, they had a great crowd/atmosphere. But what if they’re just not a good football team? Then instead of encouraging, this becomes pretty depressing.
This is the other way to look at it, and it could bear out this way. A&M, to me, is a team that ends up going 9-3. They've had four straight Top Ten classes, so they have talent. We'll see where this goes.

When's the last time, in a game like this, that we actually said that our defense put us in a position to win multiple times? It's been awhile. At the least, it seems like we've made a big jump on that side of the ball. The offense is the real question mark moving forward.
Yea I agree

Advertisement
Couple the redzone calls, the lack of TE’s up the seams and in the middle of that defense, and the pace and I have a major problem with Gattis.

Defense absolutely did enough to win.

I’ll disagree on the clock management n pace in the 4th quarter. We left ourselves no maragin error late, after being a comedy of errors all night

This loss was more frustrating than anything else. *However,* for once I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Frustrating as ****. It felt like a good team is somewhere in there but the last 20 years of suck just shown through a bit too much.

If we could make routine plays, we win comfortably.

Obviously, not happy about this loss. This is a game we should've won, and our mistakes did us in. Right now, I'm more frustrated than anything else. Some thoughts on tonight and for the weeks ahead.
  • We have a solid defense. Kevin Steele did a great job tonight, and our defense has really taken a step forward compared to last year. We had our mistakes and some missed tackles here and there, but all around, this was a solid defensive performance. Our DL looked good, and our secondary did what it needed to. For the first time in a while, at no point did our defense put us in a position to lose this game. In fact, they put us in a position to win it multiple times.
    • Football is a game of luck in some ways, especially on TO's. A&M got every bounce tonight, and we didn't get any. That won't always be the case, and we need to generate TO's. You can't win a game like this without them.
  • Our WR room has major problems. This will need to be an area of focus for our next few classes. Wayyyyyyy too many drops tonight. Brashard should've had that last catch to convert, and he missed some other ones today. Losing Restrepo was a huge loss for this team and game, and we need him back ASAP. Until then, someone needs to step up.

• OL played the best it has in a very long time. We got the run going, and TVD didn't go down once tonight.

• We underutilized our TE's. Mallory didn't look bad today, and Arroyo had a nice catch early in the 2nd.

• We have a solid RB group. If Chaney and Citizen were in the rotation, this would be one of the top RB groups in the country. However, Parish made a massive mistake by dropping that pass early in the game. Had he got it, we would've been 1st and goal inside the ten.

• TVD wasn't what we needed him to be to win this game. He was better in the second half, but it's evident that he's not on the same page as his WRs, and doesn't trust them. He needs to be better and learn from this experience.

• Hot take here - for some - but I didn't have an issue with what Gattis schemed up most of the night. We didn't have an issue moving the ball, but our RZ offense has to improve. The play calling inside the 20 is on him, but our personnel severely limits us. Either way, he needs to do better. The opportunities were there, and our guys did not execute. Multiple dropped passes and blown plays that would've gone for big yardage or even a TD.
    • On this point, dont y'all remember how we constantly went 3 and out with Lashlee? The 21-second drives? The same running plays and bad OL over and over again? He was a good OC here, and TVD did well in his system but let's not rewrite history. How Gattis ends up is TBD, but we didn't lose because of his play calling. We lost because we did not execute.
  • Mario would've been hailed as a clock management genius had we won. His clock management wasn't the reason we lost tonight. It was all about execution, and our guys needed to follow through.

• Going back to our Orange Bowl loss in 2017, we've lost these types of games by a combined score of 177-91 since then. I'm not a moral victories guy - and today's game is nothing but an L we could've avoided - but for the first time in a long time, we were actually in this type of game for 4Qs. That's an improvement.
    • On this, our boys didn't panic tonight. In years past, we would've had 100 yds of penalties, be dancing on the sidelines, and be down 28+.
  • We absolutely blew this game. Tyrique's muffed punt was a dagger we couldn't recover from. In the future, with better personnel, we will. We don't have that team yet, though.
We get a tune-up game next week, and after that, a bye before our conference schedule starts. Getting over the UNC hump will set the tone for conference play. Am I happy with what we did tonight? Absolutely not. We blew what should've been a nice win. However, you'd have to be blind not to see some major strides from last year. Defense is miles better, we actually had a competent game plan, and we didn't get outcoached. For us to get better, we have to execute. No way around it. Our boys lost today. For once, it's not entirely because of coaching.

Overall, I believe this is a team that'll go 9-3/10-2. Nobody other than Clemson has a defense like the one we played tonight, and I still have faith in TVD to figure things out. Also, remember that this isn't going to be a short process. Imho, we're (at best) 2-3 years away from making a real push. Until then, our boys must keep their heads down, buy into the process, and start building for the future. Getting to the ACC Championship is the goal for the immediate future. Long-term, I'm not worried. For once, I could see the progress and not be left hopeless by a loss like this.
Well written, I agree 1000%. I hope Gattis can make some changes in the passing game. We will struggle against Pitt if we try throw the same scheme in the passing game.. Needed to play a clean game to get the win and didn’t. Bounce here, bounce there. No secret as to why we pushed for a #1 WR this summer. Bummer we failed, will pay for it again this season

Advertisement
Couple the redzone calls, the lack of TE’s up the seams and in the middle of that defense, and the pace and I have a major problem with Gattis.

Defense absolutely did enough to win.

I’ll disagree on the clock management n pace in the 4th quarter. We left ourselves no maragin error late, after being a comedy of errors all night
The RedZone O needs to be better. He had no faith in our WRs to pull down some catches, though I wouldn't after seeing them play tonight. He needs to be better, we'll see where he goes.

Im right there with you. Some head scratchers sure but overall I had no issues with it.

Advertisement
As I try to look at the positives and take the long view, only thing I can’t stop thinking about is what if A&M sucks?

Sure, they had a great crowd/atmosphere. But what if they’re just not a good football team? Then instead of encouraging, this becomes pretty depressing.

Spoiler alert: they do suck.

Attachments

• D143E363-FB50-4406-AA24-FFC8A3912097.jpeg
    D143E363-FB50-4406-AA24-FFC8A3912097.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 116
We will know about this defense when they play UNC in a few weeks.. We know Jimbo offense aint ****.. They played decent enough, felt like they had to take away Achane and he still did work .. They played well enough to win tho, thats special teams yikes

Advertisement
Back