Post-Game Reaction (For Rational People Only)

Posters want to rewrite history and adjust on the fly I see. Every poster on here had this game down as an L in preseason. Regardless, of what transpired last week, this game was still chalked up as an L. We didn’t expect to win it. So as far as I’m concerned we are still on track season wise. Let’s talk again once we lose a game most assumed we would or should win.

Advertisement
I don’t get why people keep talking about clock management he used the two timeouts we had at the right time. We got the ball back with 1:25 left. I think Mario did a great job late game.

What we lack is agility on the outside all of our receivers are stiff af. They may be fast straight line but change of direction is poor. Redding runs flat footed and slow footed. X the only receiver worth a ****. Brinson could be but he is soft.

We played hard but we don’t have Miami caliber weapons outside which was the theme in camp.

I have more of a problem w/ pacing. Our O showed no urgency in the last 8-9 mins of the game while knowing full well we needed to. That left me going WT?! Our pre-snap clock management wasn't good, imo. Felt like we took just about every down all the way to low single digits. The check w/ me adjustments were maddening. I get we needed to make sure we got the right play call in place, but I felt it also gave their defense extra time to make their own adjustments as well. Another thing is that the sideline reporter, Rowe, mentioned that she felt their defensive players looked gassed toward the end. Running 35-38 second pre-snaps didn't stress their fatigue enough which is something that needed done.

Last edited:
I thought the D player very well over all. Say what you want about Jumbos offense, but they are talented. Ivy played his best game ever by far. WRs we’re disappointing. Hope Gattis cleans up the red zone scheme, and stops w the TVD runs…looked like he was running through peanut butter. Our NFL ST coach better be running bleachers as I type this as his unit was terrible and gave a 13 point swing. Over all, I liked how we didn’t get pushed around in the trenches, and how the crowd didn’t affect us.

with everything except having faith in TVD to figure it out.

Maybe that happens. Hope so.

But the current evidence is not
Man I saw some wobbly inaccurate throws from him. I think we are going to get to the point in a couple games where people start banging the drum for Garcia. TVD just doesn't look like the same guy, and it's not only because of Restrepo. He didn't look good last week either.

Posters want to rewrite history and adjust on the fly I see. Every poster on here had this game down as an L in preseason. Regardless, of what transpired last week, this game was still chalked up as an L. We didn’t expect to win it. So as far as I’m concerned we are still on track season wise. Let’s talk again once we lose a game most assumed we would or should win.
The problem is we lost a game we should have won. If they outplayed us and we lost by 8, the losing by less than the past makes sense but we lost by 8 in a game we should have won by at least 10 and did it in ways all around that exposed concerns…

Advertisement
Tough loss as it was a winnable game. The fact is, A&M is a decent team. Nothing great, but definitely not a dog. The recruiting over the 5 years under Dumbo shows. They lost a few guys and still had enough depth to manage their Defense. To our Canes, what a ST's nightmare. The muff by TS was inexcusable and a total momentum shift early in the game. Adding to further poor execution was the missed and blocked FG's. Those are points in a close game that come back to BITE you! Both DL and OL played very well and looked like they belong with the Big Boys. Finally.

Let's bounce back next week. Get healthy and prepare for UNC in a few weeks. Hope fans come out as it's a major test and must win!

Obviously, not happy about this loss. This is a game we should've won, and our mistakes did us in. Right now, I'm more frustrated than anything else. Some thoughts on tonight and for the weeks ahead.
  • We have a solid defense. Kevin Steele did a great job tonight, and our defense has really taken a step forward compared to last year. We had our mistakes and some missed tackles here and there, but all around, this was a solid defensive performance. Our DL looked good, and our secondary did what it needed to. For the first time in a while, at no point did our defense put us in a position to lose this game. In fact, they put us in a position to win it multiple times.
    • Football is a game of luck in some ways, especially on TO's. A&M got every bounce tonight, and we didn't get any. That won't always be the case, and we need to generate TO's. You can't win a game like this without them.
  • Our WR room has major problems. This will need to be an area of focus for our next few classes. Wayyyyyyy too many drops tonight. Brashard should've had that last catch to convert, and he missed some other ones today. Losing Restrepo was a huge loss for this team and game, and we need him back ASAP. Until then, someone needs to step up.

• OL played the best it has in a very long time. We got the run going, and TVD didn't go down once tonight.

• We underutilized our TE's. Mallory didn't look bad today, and Arroyo had a nice catch early in the 2nd.

• We have a solid RB group. If Chaney and Citizen were in the rotation, this would be one of the top RB groups in the country. However, Parish made a massive mistake by dropping that pass early in the game. Had he got it, we would've been 1st and goal inside the ten.

• TVD wasn't what we needed him to be to win this game. He was better in the second half, but it's evident that he's not on the same page as his WRs, and doesn't trust them. He needs to be better and learn from this experience.

• Hot take here - for some - but I didn't have an issue with what Gattis schemed up most of the night. We didn't have an issue moving the ball, but our RZ offense has to improve. The play calling inside the 20 is on him, but our personnel severely limits us. Either way, he needs to do better. The opportunities were there, and our guys did not execute. Multiple dropped passes and blown plays that would've gone for big yardage or even a TD.
    • On this point, dont y'all remember how we constantly went 3 and out with Lashlee? The 21-second drives? The same running plays and bad OL over and over again? He was a good OC here, and TVD did well in his system but let's not rewrite history. How Gattis ends up is TBD, but we didn't lose because of his play calling. We lost because we did not execute.
  • Mario would've been hailed as a clock management genius had we won. His clock management wasn't the reason we lost tonight. It was all about execution, and our guys needed to follow through.

• Going back to our Orange Bowl loss in 2017, we've lost these types of games by a combined score of 177-91 since then. I'm not a moral victories guy - and today's game is nothing but an L we could've avoided - but for the first time in a long time, we were actually in this type of game for 4Qs. That's an improvement.
    • On this, our boys didn't panic tonight. In years past, we would've had 100 yds of penalties, be dancing on the sidelines, and be down 28+.
  • We absolutely blew this game. Tyrique's muffed punt was a dagger we couldn't recover from. In the future, with better personnel, we will. We don't have that team yet, though.
We get a tune-up game next week, and after that, a bye before our conference schedule starts. Getting over the UNC hump will set the tone for conference play. Am I happy with what we did tonight? Absolutely not. We blew what should've been a nice win. However, you'd have to be blind not to see some major strides from last year. Defense is miles better, we actually had a competent game plan, and we didn't get outcoached. For us to get better, we have to execute. No way around it. Our boys lost today. For once, it's not entirely because of coaching.

Overall, I believe this is a team that'll go 9-3/10-2. Nobody other than Clemson has a defense like the one we played tonight, and I still have faith in TVD to figure things out. Also, remember that this isn't going to be a short process. Imho, we're (at best) 2-3 years away from making a real push. Until then, our boys must keep their heads down, buy into the process, and start building for the future. Getting to the ACC Championship is the goal for the immediate future. Long-term, I'm not worried. For once, I could see the progress and not be left hopeless by a loss like this.
TVD wasn’t great today but I mean man those 7-8 drops the WRs had change the game and 21s big drop out the back field that was a TD

Something else I'll ask. Which receiver before last season was thought to be a clear WR1? Or even after the first couple of games, if I'm remembering correctly?

Obviously, not happy about this loss. This is a game we should've won, and our mistakes did us in. Right now, I'm more frustrated than anything else. Some thoughts on tonight and for the weeks ahead.
  • We have a solid defense. Kevin Steele did a great job tonight, and our defense has really taken a step forward compared to last year. We had our mistakes and some missed tackles here and there, but all around, this was a solid defensive performance. Our DL looked good, and our secondary did what it needed to. For the first time in a while, at no point did our defense put us in a position to lose this game. In fact, they put us in a position to win it multiple times.
    • Football is a game of luck in some ways, especially on TO's. A&M got every bounce tonight, and we didn't get any. That won't always be the case, and we need to generate TO's. You can't win a game like this without them.
  • Our WR room has major problems. This will need to be an area of focus for our next few classes. Wayyyyyyy too many drops tonight. Brashard should've had that last catch to convert, and he missed some other ones today. Losing Restrepo was a huge loss for this team and game, and we need him back ASAP. Until then, someone needs to step up.

• OL played the best it has in a very long time. We got the run going, and TVD didn't go down once tonight.

• We underutilized our TE's. Mallory didn't look bad today, and Arroyo had a nice catch early in the 2nd.

• We have a solid RB group. If Chaney and Citizen were in the rotation, this would be one of the top RB groups in the country. However, Parish made a massive mistake by dropping that pass early in the game. Had he got it, we would've been 1st and goal inside the ten.

• TVD wasn't what we needed him to be to win this game. He was better in the second half, but it's evident that he's not on the same page as his WRs, and doesn't trust them. He needs to be better and learn from this experience.

• Hot take here - for some - but I didn't have an issue with what Gattis schemed up most of the night. We didn't have an issue moving the ball, but our RZ offense has to improve. The play calling inside the 20 is on him, but our personnel severely limits us. Either way, he needs to do better. The opportunities were there, and our guys did not execute. Multiple dropped passes and blown plays that would've gone for big yardage or even a TD.
    • On this point, dont y'all remember how we constantly went 3 and out with Lashlee? The 21-second drives? The same running plays and bad OL over and over again? He was a good OC here, and TVD did well in his system but let's not rewrite history. How Gattis ends up is TBD, but we didn't lose because of his play calling. We lost because we did not execute.
  • Mario would've been hailed as a clock management genius had we won. His clock management wasn't the reason we lost tonight. It was all about execution, and our guys needed to follow through.

• Going back to our Orange Bowl loss in 2017, we've lost these types of games by a combined score of 177-91 since then. I'm not a moral victories guy - and today's game is nothing but an L we could've avoided - but for the first time in a long time, we were actually in this type of game for 4Qs. That's an improvement.
    • On this, our boys didn't panic tonight. In years past, we would've had 100 yds of penalties, be dancing on the sidelines, and be down 28+.
  • We absolutely blew this game. Tyrique's muffed punt was a dagger we couldn't recover from. In the future, with better personnel, we will. We don't have that team yet, though.
We get a tune-up game next week, and after that, a bye before our conference schedule starts. Getting over the UNC hump will set the tone for conference play. Am I happy with what we did tonight? Absolutely not. We blew what should've been a nice win. However, you'd have to be blind not to see some major strides from last year. Defense is miles better, we actually had a competent game plan, and we didn't get outcoached. For us to get better, we have to execute. No way around it. Our boys lost today. For once, it's not entirely because of coaching.

Overall, I believe this is a team that'll go 9-3/10-2. Nobody other than Clemson has a defense like the one we played tonight, and I still have faith in TVD to figure things out. Also, remember that this isn't going to be a short process. Imho, we're (at best) 2-3 years away from making a real push. Until then, our boys must keep their heads down, buy into the process, and start building for the future. Getting to the ACC Championship is the goal for the immediate future. Long-term, I'm not worried. For once, I could see the progress and not be left hopeless by a loss like this.

Couldn’t have said it better. 100% on point. There is progress even in loss. Miami actually dominated this game.

ST, player execution and bad RZ cost them the game. All that can be cleaned up.

Lack of WR is a problem. Gattis can only do so much there. Hopefully X can come back, I like George, get arroyo in more and Rooster involved in the passing game.

Jimbo is in year 5 and got very lucky to beat Miami and Mario in game 3. I think miami will be alright!

Let’s see how we respond against MSTU and then get healthy on the bye week. UNC could be a season defining game at that point in where this team goes.

Advertisement
DJ ivey had an out of body experience out there tonight that needs to be said time and again. Wonderful game by him and the rest of the defense.

1000 obvious points on what to fix but I still see Mallory as a key blocker on plays that are doomed before they start and Arroyo should be used more creatively as a mismatch flexed out wide. Lord knows our WRs are just taking up space out there.

You would be right with the above.

I wouldn't blame Gattis on this, he's the farthest thing from the problem.

As mentioned, the WRs yeesh, we're in tough, and Ladson, the guy sucks, Gattis makes the proper check with me for a screen to Smith, and he didn't even get in the way, that's just an example of execution.

In my opinion, this is a case of the game gets too big for our players, the constant talk of having to win. They really really have a hard time under the pressure it seems and that been an ongoing problem for years now.

The only thing I wished was Gattis getting the run game early, he often went to PA, because he likely thought like us, this is a good DL and the run game wasn't gonna be there, but when it was used it was surprisingly very good.

For all the WR hammering, a lot of it deservedly, we're to believe that all these guys minus X came to UM as bums? Players that were coveted by many top 25 programs. Wasn't that the story line written about the OLine room before they finally got some top level coaching this season?

My positive takeaway is that for the first time in forever, we went into the house of a more talented team and outgained and out TOP'd them.

Advertisement

Probably the most logical post I’ve seen so far. Thumbs up for you!

Aside from Bama, we should have beat LSU, UF, and now A&M, but we didn't. We haven't been abe to beat an SEC team of late or play big games on the road very successfully. I didn't think we were ready for A&M - mostly because of what I said in those previous games, we don't have that type of OL to compete with the SEC yet.

With that said, I have to agree, so far that this was one of the best efforts by the OL in a big game. Mirabal said they wouldn't be a weakness this season, they weren't last night. Special Teams and WR's were. And TVD didn't have his check-down guy he could always go to -his security blanket, and that may have ratted him. Why? Because he knows what he throws to everyday in practice. A&M had half their DBs on the bench and we still couldn't get open.

Still pieces to fill.

Advertisement
I didn’t expect to be undefeated. Yes I am a fan, but I know we need pieces. Should we have won this game..yes. I was encouraged from what i saw. I think we lose at Clemson, too. But i see us in the ACC championship game, neutral territory…anything can happen. However, we need to catch the ball! Our two biggest issues are WR and LB, and the LBs played great.

We lost this game 17-9. Not sure what your point is, we are exactly statistically in line with the scoring average in “these types of games”…
400 yards of offense is not the norm for any Miami team over the last 15 years in big games. Execution is the word of the week. Miami should have blown Texas a A&M out instead we missed easy throws, muffed punts, dropped balls, and missed field goals. Most disappointed in van dyke and the kicker. We knew the receivers sucked coming into the season but I thought both those player were something I wouldn’t have to worry about. Boy was I wrong and they cost us the game unfortunate

I just don’t have the same “****, we suck” feeling after this loss as I have over the last several years.
My hope is TVD can get back to form, as mentioned he looks really off, Sophomore slump?
Overall we looked like a better coached team in several areas that give me hope for the rest of the year no one in the coastal is playing great, so…

Agree with everything except the “luck” part. You make your own breaks. It wasn’t luck that A&M recovered our muffed punt and their guy wrestled the ball back on theirs. 2 back to back 15 yard penalties in crunch time, and a dropped pass on 4th down isn’t luck.

Advertisement
Back