Post-Game Reaction (For Rational People Only)

As I try to look at the positives and take the long view, only thing I can’t stop thinking about is what if A&M sucks?

Sure, they had a great crowd/atmosphere. But what if they’re just not a good football team? Then instead of encouraging, this becomes pretty depressing.
They aren't a good team lol

They're trash

Advertisement
If they beat Arkansas next week, they probably finish at 9-3 at worst. They have Bama away, which is an L anyways, but the rest of their challenges are at home. Very reasonably could finish at 10-2 even, if some stuff goes their way.

Im right there with you. Some head scratchers sure but overall I had no issues with it.
It's a weird feeling. Frustrated by the L, but that's about it. Not mad and not hopeless like in years past. We gave away this game, and we should've won. At the least, we've got the personnel and staff to actually stay in this type of game for four quarters. That's a start.

Game was already decided by the stupidity of tyrique.

A2M is a terrible team. Terrible. We beat ourselves because we are a dumb ******* team.

Our other “first rounder”, TVD, - beyond awful. He is not a fit in this offense. An offense that requires you to think. See above.

Obviously, not happy about this loss. This is a game we should've won, and our mistakes did us in. Right now, I'm more frustrated than anything else. Some thoughts on tonight and for the weeks ahead.
  • We have a solid defense. Kevin Steele did a great job tonight, and our defense has really taken a step forward compared to last year. We had our mistakes and some missed tackles here and there, but all around, this was a solid defensive performance. Our DL looked good, and our secondary did what it needed to. For the first time in a while, at no point did our defense put us in a position to lose this game. In fact, they put us in a position to win it multiple times.
    • Football is a game of luck in some ways, especially on TO's. A&M got every bounce tonight, and we didn't get any. That won't always be the case, and we need to generate TO's. You can't win a game like this without them.
  • Our WR room has major problems. This will need to be an area of focus for our next few classes. Wayyyyyyy too many drops tonight. Brashard should've had that last catch to convert, and he missed some other ones today. Losing Restrepo was a huge loss for this team and game, and we need him back ASAP. Until then, someone needs to step up.

• OL played the best it has in a very long time. We got the run going, and TVD didn't go down once tonight.

• We underutilized our TE's. Mallory didn't look bad today, and Arroyo had a nice catch early in the 2nd.

• We have a solid RB group. If Chaney and Citizen were in the rotation, this would be one of the top RB groups in the country. However, Parish made a massive mistake by dropping that pass early in the game. Had he got it, we would've been 1st and goal inside the ten.

• TVD wasn't what we needed him to be to win this game. He was better in the second half, but it's evident that he's not on the same page as his WRs, and doesn't trust them. He needs to be better and learn from this experience.

• Hot take here - for some - but I didn't have an issue with what Gattis schemed up most of the night. We didn't have an issue moving the ball, but our RZ offense has to improve. The play calling inside the 20 is on him, but our personnel severely limits us. Either way, he needs to do better. The opportunities were there, and our guys did not execute. Multiple dropped passes and blown plays that would've gone for big yardage or even a TD.
    • On this point, dont y'all remember how we constantly went 3 and out with Lashlee? The 21-second drives? The same running plays and bad OL over and over again? He was a good OC here, and TVD did well in his system but let's not rewrite history. How Gattis ends up is TBD, but we didn't lose because of his play calling. We lost because we did not execute.
  • Mario would've been hailed as a clock management genius had we won. His clock management wasn't the reason we lost tonight. It was all about execution, and our guys needed to follow through.

• Going back to our Orange Bowl loss in 2017, we've lost these types of games by a combined score of 177-91 since then. I'm not a moral victories guy - and today's game is nothing but an L we could've avoided - but for the first time in a long time, we were actually in this type of game for 4Qs. That's an improvement.
    • On this, our boys didn't panic tonight. In years past, we would've had 100 yds of penalties, be dancing on the sidelines, and be down 28+.
  • We absolutely blew this game. Tyrique's muffed punt was a dagger we couldn't recover from. In the future, with better personnel, we will. We don't have that team yet, though.
We get a tune-up game next week, and after that, a bye before our conference schedule starts. Getting over the UNC hump will set the tone for conference play. Am I happy with what we did tonight? Absolutely not. We blew what should've been a nice win. However, you'd have to be blind not to see some major strides from last year. Defense is miles better, we actually had a competent game plan, and we didn't get outcoached. For us to get better, we have to execute. No way around it. Our boys lost today. For once, it's not entirely because of coaching.

Overall, I believe this is a team that'll go 9-3/10-2. Nobody other than Clemson has a defense like the one we played tonight, and I still have faith in TVD to figure things out. Also, remember that this isn't going to be a short process. Imho, we're (at best) 2-3 years away from making a real push. Until then, our boys must keep their heads down, buy into the process, and start building for the future. Getting to the ACC Championship is the goal for the immediate future. Long-term, I'm not worried. For once, I could see the progress and not be left hopeless by a loss like this.
Facts

Advertisement
Game was already decided by the stupidity of tyrique.

A2M is a terrible team. Terrible. We beat ourselves because we are a dumb ******* team.

Our other “first rounder”, TVD, - beyond awful. He is not a fit in this offense.
I don't think they're awful, they'll probably finish up 9-3, but they've got more talent than us and didn't shoot themselves. Tyrique's play was a killer. Seems like every time we play in one of these big games, we start off with a monumental mistake that puts us behind real early.

Obviously, not happy about this loss. This is a game we should've won, and our mistakes did us in. Right now, I'm more frustrated than anything else. Some thoughts on tonight and for the weeks ahead.
  • We have a solid defense. Kevin Steele did a great job tonight, and our defense has really taken a step forward compared to last year. We had our mistakes and some missed tackles here and there, but all around, this was a solid defensive performance. Our DL looked good, and our secondary did what it needed to. For the first time in a while, at no point did our defense put us in a position to lose this game. In fact, they put us in a position to win it multiple times.
    • Football is a game of luck in some ways, especially on TO's. A&M got every bounce tonight, and we didn't get any. That won't always be the case, and we need to generate TO's. You can't win a game like this without them.
  • Our WR room has major problems. This will need to be an area of focus for our next few classes. Wayyyyyyy too many drops tonight. Brashard should've had that last catch to convert, and he missed some other ones today. Losing Restrepo was a huge loss for this team and game, and we need him back ASAP. Until then, someone needs to step up.

• OL played the best it has in a very long time. We got the run going, and TVD didn't go down once tonight.

• We underutilized our TE's. Mallory didn't look bad today, and Arroyo had a nice catch early in the 2nd.

• We have a solid RB group. If Chaney and Citizen were in the rotation, this would be one of the top RB groups in the country. However, Parish made a massive mistake by dropping that pass early in the game. Had he got it, we would've been 1st and goal inside the ten.

• TVD wasn't what we needed him to be to win this game. He was better in the second half, but it's evident that he's not on the same page as his WRs, and doesn't trust them. He needs to be better and learn from this experience.

• Hot take here - for some - but I didn't have an issue with what Gattis schemed up most of the night. We didn't have an issue moving the ball, but our RZ offense has to improve. The play calling inside the 20 is on him, but our personnel severely limits us. Either way, he needs to do better. The opportunities were there, and our guys did not execute. Multiple dropped passes and blown plays that would've gone for big yardage or even a TD.
    • On this point, dont y'all remember how we constantly went 3 and out with Lashlee? The 21-second drives? The same running plays and bad OL over and over again? He was a good OC here, and TVD did well in his system but let's not rewrite history. How Gattis ends up is TBD, but we didn't lose because of his play calling. We lost because we did not execute.
  • Mario would've been hailed as a clock management genius had we won. His clock management wasn't the reason we lost tonight. It was all about execution, and our guys needed to follow through.

• Going back to our Orange Bowl loss in 2017, we've lost these types of games by a combined score of 177-91 since then. I'm not a moral victories guy - and today's game is nothing but an L we could've avoided - but for the first time in a long time, we were actually in this type of game for 4Qs. That's an improvement.
    • On this, our boys didn't panic tonight. In years past, we would've had 100 yds of penalties, be dancing on the sidelines, and be down 28+.
  • We absolutely blew this game. Tyrique's muffed punt was a dagger we couldn't recover from. In the future, with better personnel, we will. We don't have that team yet, though.
We get a tune-up game next week, and after that, a bye before our conference schedule starts. Getting over the UNC hump will set the tone for conference play. Am I happy with what we did tonight? Absolutely not. We blew what should've been a nice win. However, you'd have to be blind not to see some major strides from last year. Defense is miles better, we actually had a competent game plan, and we didn't get outcoached. For us to get better, we have to execute. No way around it. Our boys lost today. For once, it's not entirely because of coaching.

Overall, I believe this is a team that'll go 9-3/10-2. Nobody other than Clemson has a defense like the one we played tonight, and I still have faith in TVD to figure things out. Also, remember that this isn't going to be a short process. Imho, we're (at best) 2-3 years away from making a real push. Until then, our boys must keep their heads down, buy into the process, and start building for the future. Getting to the ACC Championship is the goal for the immediate future. Long-term, I'm not worried. For once, I could see the progress and not be left hopeless by a loss like this.
Agree! We on the come up! Don't forget how bad this loss hurt right now. Our time coming soon

It's a weird feeling. Frustrated by the L, but that's about it. Not mad and not hopeless like in years past. We gave away this game, and we should've won. At the least, we've got the personnel and staff to actually stay in this type of game for four quarters. That's a start.
Was never out of reach, our biggest opponent was ourself. Stay focused on winning the coastal.

Advertisement

Agree with everything except having faith in TVD to figure it out.

Maybe that happens. Hope so.

But the current evidence is not favorable.

Embrace this loss and take everything you need from it wholeheartedly.

Hundred years ago we lost our opener against Turds then ran the table.

Team meeting of (2) choices hunt or be the hunted for the rest of the season an challenge the organization top to bottom plain and simple.

GOCANES

No problem with Gattis, but he's got to get the TE's involved much more. He actually schemed up some plays to attack A&M's coverage with TEs. Running game was effective, but obviously they needed more plays in the passing game, but A&M's DBs and LBs are good. I don't think Gattis trusted WRs ability to get open in the redzone (again, TEs though) If X had played, it would have been a different game.

Advertisement
I don't know what everybody is freaking out about. Yeah, it's a loss. But the Miami Hurricanes were a 7-5 team last year with majority of those same players on this team. We are not going to get 20 years of failure turned around in a few months! If Manny is still here for this game A&M puts up 60 points on this team. This is a new team! We did fight to be there at the end. The loss sucks but we have improved. The defense under Steele is awesome! Very impressed with those guys. Our O-line - with the same guy's as last year - is now a strength of the team rather than our biggest negative. As far as all the hate on Gattis, I don't understand. Our biggest weakness on this team are the WR's. And every coach in every interview leading up to the season said the WR's are not playing where they need to be. Our bad WR play should not be a shock to anyone! As an OC if you don't trust your WR to make a play what do you have to do? RUN THE FOOTBALL!

Now the negatives. Special teams need an overhaul. The WR room is going to be the Achillies heel this year. So better recruiting in the next cycles fixes that issue. TVD does not look as good as he did last year - but there is no talent for him to throw to!

We are going to fine y'all..

I don't know what everybody is freaking out about. Yeah, it's a loss. But the Miami Hurricanes were a 7-5 team last year with majority of those same players on this team. We are not going to get 20 years of failure turned around in a few months! If Manny is still here for this game A&M puts up 60 points on this team. This is a new team! We did fight to be there at the end. The loss sucks but we have improved. The defense under Steele is awesome! Very impressed with those guys. Our O-line - with the same guy's as last year - is now a strength of the team rather than our biggest negative. As far as all the hate on Gattis, I don't understand. Our biggest weakness on this team are the WR's. And every coach in every interview leading up to the season said the WR's are not playing where they need to be. Our bad WR play should not be a shock to anyone! As an OC if you don't trust your WR to make a play what do you have to do? RUN THE FOOTBALL!

Now the negatives. Special teams need an overhaul. The WR room is going to be the Achillies heel this year. So better recruiting in the next cycles fixes that issue. TVD does not look as good as he did last year - but there is no talent for him to throw to!

We are going to fine y'all..
You make some good points, imagine if we caught those drops we’d be doing pelvic thrusts right now.

GOCANES

Very good write-up.

Hitting on all the notes.

Advertisement
I think we’re giving this D too much credit, AM is mediocre at best on offense, we’ll see how they do against UNC and FSU. I’m also not sure their defense is as good as advertised

I don’t get why people keep talking about clock management he used the two timeouts we had at the right time. We got the ball back with 1:25 left. I think Mario did a great job late game.

What we lack is agility on the outside all of our receivers are stiff af. They may be fast straight line but change of direction is poor. Redding runs flat footed and slow footed. X the only receiver worth a ****. Brinson could be but he is soft.

We played hard but we don’t have Miami caliber weapons outside which was the theme in camp.

Last edited:
As I try to look at the positives and take the long view, only thing I can’t stop thinking about is what if A&M sucks?

Sure, they had a great crowd/atmosphere. But what if they’re just not a good football team? Then instead of encouraging, this becomes pretty depressing.

Last night was very winnable. Incredibly so. What makes it that much more frustrating. Don't see aTm being more than their usual 8-4 this season from what faced us. Once they hit conference play, they will get exposed, imo.

Hoping our play doesn't end up being indicative of what our season will look like. Would be disappointing if it does.

Advertisement
Back