Post Game Plus/Minus: FAU

View as article
I didn't read everyone's post on here so I apologize if someone already posted it. A few things that stuck out to me and I hope we can chalk them up as opening season jitters...

4-14 on 3rd down conversions. Against FAU it should have been 10-14.
8 penalties for 67 yards. Cannot be that undisciplined against Uf.
O-line (as most have mentioned).

Coley dropping 2 touchdowns can definitely be counted as "jitters." Give him a chance against Uf and I'm sure he'll make up for it. Defense looked good and some new guys stepped up (Gilbert/Kamalu/Fig). Kacy Rodgers looked like a new guy as well. That's promising. Glad the 1st game is out of the way. Now everyone has knocked the dust off and can start living up to the hype!

Go CANES!

Advertisement
The one thing I believe coming into this game - turned to siht.

Our Offensive Line suked dingleberries. They couldn't get push, and they couldn't pass protect.

Morris looked as unsettled as a man just shot at, and was expecting more.

Someone needs to teach the team how to calm themselves in a genuine shooting situation - make a tight left fist, and concentrate on it. Now you can react, and won't be thinking - crossing yourself up as Coley and a few others did.

I think you and others are overstating the OL "struggles". You don't rush for 300 yards with an OL that sucked. This isn't the 2001 OL but it is still the best we have had in years. You want bad go back and watch some of the OL play in the later Coker years and during Shannon's tenure. I remember the last year Stoutland was here, **** near every time we had a big play there was a holding call. I don't think we had a single hold last night.

I think some of yall "sky is always falling" ninjas need to relax just a little bit.....

It was 1st game excitement, these guys probably were surprised to see so many fans turn out for the game lol j/k.

all jokes aside though the Defense played a **** of a game, aside from some penalities..... everyone on this board should be celebrating at how good they looked last night. "The Bend dont Break" bs was not in effect at all... they were aggressive and the corners were up close on the receivers. D'onofrio trust his players and i really like what he is doing w/ the defense.

If the offense was the biggest problem then Miami fans should feel good.... like i said, we all know how good this offense is, they left a lot of plays on the field and the score was still 34-6, it could've been 56-6.

Just lack of execution and not focused.... these things can be worked on and corrected before Florida, its not like Florida is just hands down better team, b/c they're not.

The next game vs Florida aint about talent its about who is going to play harder and smarter... that will decide the game.

The UF game will probably be a low scoring affair for both teams. I don't see either team putting up that many points. UF defense will be good and UF offense IS that bad to me (For Now). Neither team scores over 20.

Very few college games end with the winner below 20. There are simply too many plays and too many clock stoppages and too many bizarre plays that weave their way into the end zone. I've bet tons of unders over the decades and been burned countless times when a game is played like an under but finds its way over. Finally I started betting the first half under. That was a revelation. For one thing, it dodges the ridiculous college overtime format.

A top SEC team like Florida seldom will allow big points in a game like this. Too many Canes fans have made that mistake throughout the offseason. You can't look at starters lost or how they played against Louisville last year. They've been weaned as a physical program under Muschamp and the personnel is there. It reminds me of our heyday when opposing fans would overreact to a lazy defensive effort and project high 20s or low 30s for a talented offense the following week. Meanwhile, when we were focused we weren't going to surrender much of anything.

It's the same reason I dreaded Ohio State all season in 2002. That was the nightmare opponent. I rooted desperately for them to lose one of their tight meetings and still remember every one of them, starting with the lucky escape against Cincinnati. Miami would have cruised past uptempo teams like Georgia or upstart USC. Only blue collar Ohio State was capable of disrupting our offense and holding us well below our typical output. And at that point there's little margin for error when you're only scoring 14 or 17 points in regulation. Too much weight to one or two key plays.

Toledo may have cute schemes but so far it's not exactly denting the scoreboard. That's the way it works against SEC defenses. We'll need a flock of well conceived and executed plays next week, like the touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone last night to Walford. That was a dart into double coverage and a great grab considering he knew he would be belted.

Last edited:
Gotta be kidding me. Our Guards are our best 2 linemen. The problem is this stupid *** shuffle they're doing. Bunche is terrible no matter where you put him. I watched him whiff multiple times tonight. They put Feliciano back at the Guard spot and what do ya know, big run.

I think you are right about that.... Bunche whiffs a lot.

I just dont think the guards do that good of a job moving the line consistently, pass protection is the o-lines strength but the Oline looks so lopsided on every run play, it never moves as a cohesive unit when trying to create a push.

Maybe that's part Kehoe to blame as well b/c Stoutland does a better job w/ his o-line schemes... but Stoutland is in the NFL now also.

Who doesn't do a good job at Guard?

Surely you don't mean Feliciano, cause that would be comical. I think everybody knows that he mauls people.

Linder? Our best O-lineman?

I dont think Linder is our best o-lineman maybe he's the most "consistent" but he isnt physically imposing at all

Maybe it's McDermott but the middle of the Oline seems to struggle getting a good push in the run game.

Feliciano is WAY better as a guard then tackle and i hope that experiment is over.

Dude, SMH, c'mon. LOL

Linder's not physically imposing? He's 6'6" and our strongest player on the team. He's also our highest grading lineman game after game. (along with, guess who, Felciano)

I just watched our first (failed) 4th down play. Please go watch it and tell me who screwed up. I'll give you a hint: It wasn't a Guard. (and it had nothing to do with "push")

Mcdermott off the down block..dont know if he was to slow or what...the kid @ fau was fast ...but it was Mcdermotts guy that handled that play.

PLEASE, Please,,Please dont run that ssh*t @ uf...pulling guards and trying to downblock with him...because that **** Easley uis a BEAST off the snap...and he will engulf oone of our rbs...and Clowney them...Just straight ahead blocking with UF please...Linder and Mongo can/should be able to own them guys straight up imo.

Advertisement
Anyone have a % of the snaps Wheeler played last night?

Seemed he was in there A LOT at center. Kid has quietly had himself a nice last 4-5 games.

Seemed he was in there A LOT at center. Kid has quietly had himself a nice last 4-5 games.

Found that interesting for multiple reasons. He was in there early and often. I really don't get an OL system where there are wholesale changes throughout the game.

Big reason that Canes have questioned Kehoe in the past.

Found that interesting for multiple reasons. He was in there early and often. I really don't get an OL system where there are wholesale changes throughout the game.

Big reason that Canes have questioned Kehoe in the past.

I thought AG said that's something he likes to do in general. Play a lot of men on Offense and Defense? He wants 48 guys ready to go all the time.

Advertisement
You guys all ragging on Dorsett but I bet none of you knew FAU led the nation in punt coverage last year. Lets see what he does vs UF

Morris looked erratic at times

that's extremely generous. personally, i think he looked **** poor. there were drops and some iffy play-calling, but almost every pass looked forced and his decision-making was suspect at best.

This is what disturbs me the most. I think I have been in denial about Morris. I have ignored all the footage that I have seen from camp but it looks to me like he was making the same mistakes in the game as he was in camp. He has looked very bad on a lot of plays. The interceptions he throws are very Jacory-esque, ones that leave you wondering what the **** he was thinking and who was he throwing it to. I am withholding judgement but I can say that I am very concerned about his play.

There are things that need to be fixed on offense, but they are fixable. Its the first game.

My takeaway from the game is that we have a defense that's bigger and faster than last year, and seemed more dedicated to swarming to the ball. That's what I've been praying for all offseason.

Ignore everything you saw in the 4th quarter. We were going to the 3rd and 4th strings.

That swarming on the ball brought back memories of the old Canes - D getting some pride and swagger back.

idk how i can feel so uneasy about a 34-6 win putting up 500 yds of offense and holding them to 250

the passing game was AWFUL. looked like Pat Nix was calling plays. those goddam sideline passes **** me of to no end.

we absolutely have to find another reliable RB. Duke is gonna get killed.

Advertisement
Please put your criticism in perspective.

We have the nation's leading rusher, which means we are a very strong running team.

Our total offense is ranked #27, our total defense is ranked #14 (total scoring defense is #4) after one game.

We dominated the line of scrimmage, and we won a game we were supposed to win, and did it easily.

Aside from a little rust (penalties, passing game out of sync), the team looked good.

The issues in the passing game were route timing mistakes, they'll get that fixed this week in practice. Not even worried.

LOL @ putting stock in rankings after one game. (against FAU at that)

#1... everyone played ****** opponents this week. It's opening week, that's the way teams schedule nowadays

#2... it's not about putting stock in to rankings, it's about everyone needing to quit whining and needing to gain perspective. You're crying about how bad we played, yet only a 3 teams out of 126 had fewer points scored against them on defense, and only 26 teams put up more yards than our offense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back