Post Game Plus/Minus: FAU

View as article
Me too, something about him just pops off the TV screen to me. As soon as he got that 1st carry he looked like a dude that is gonna be a baller. Big guy with great feet that runs angry. And he got robbed of that TD, cant believe that didnt get atleast a review!

I'm a HUGE fan of Gus. Kid looks like a player who will be a big contributor with an increased roll game by game.

Advertisement
Morris was fine, he made two bad plays (int and self completion) but like a few times last year was handicapped by big drops aka drive killers.

Denzel got excited and Edwards had another TD, but what can you do. Hopefully Duke is healthy and we get ready for UF.

Two bad plays? Both picks were embarrassingly bad, the self completion was a bone-headed play and he forced the ball into coverage all night. He wasn't fine, and certainly won't be fine if he plays like that against a better defense.

He only threw one pick, but that was not a confidence-inspiring performance.

Yeah Coley had the drops, but he never had any rhythm.

He's just a wildly inconsistent QB.

Morris was fine, he made two bad plays (int and self completion) but like a few times last year was handicapped by big drops aka drive killers.

Denzel got excited and Edwards had another TD, but what can you do. Hopefully Duke is healthy and we get ready for UF.

Two bad plays? Both picks were embarrassingly bad, the self completion was a bone-headed play and he forced the ball into coverage all night. He wasn't fine, and certainly won't be fine if he plays like that against a better defense.

He only threw one pick, but that was not a confidence-inspiring performance.

Yeah Coley had the drops, but he never had any rhythm.

He's just a wildly inconsistent QB.

Yeah, I forgot that the one low ball he threw into the defender's hands after scrambling around like a chicken with his head cut off wasn't called a pick. My bad. Still bad though.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe we'll get worked by Florida, but I have to believe this was just the team going through the motions and working off the rust in the first game.

People are complaining about Morris. He didn't look great, but give him 2 more completions and 2 more TDs and about 50 more yards without Coley's drops and his stats suddenly look a lot better. Also (and this shouldn't happen) he was rattled after Coley's second drop. I have to imagine he'll be fine.

People are complaining about Coley's play calling. This one, seriously, have you people never watched college football? When has a team started out with a cupcake in week 1 with one of their biggest rivals in week 2, and shown even half of their playbook in week 1? It just doesn't happen. You really think we come out against Florida and try and run 5 straight WR screens? Come on people, get the **** with it.

Miami looked like a national title contender against FAMU to start the 2010 season and then the Ohio State game happened the next week. Calm down people. I'm not saying we beat Florida, but you cannot take anything from this game.

**** the Gators

Those of u looking for consistency out of Morris are going to spend the rest of the year *****ing. There's enough of a sample size at this point to know that Morris is what he is....a big armed , big play QB who doesn't possess tremendous accuracy but does have a propensity for big plays.

The key with Morris this year is limiting the interceptions . If he does that we'll be fine . Those of you hoping for a 65 - 70% completion percentage are going to continue to be disappointed . That's not what he is

Advertisement
Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe we'll get worked by Florida, but I have to believe this was just the team going through the motions and working off the rust in the first game.

People are complaining about Morris. He didn't look great, but give him 2 more completions and 2 more TDs and about 50 more yards without Coley's drops and his stats suddenly look a lot better. Also (and this shouldn't happen) he was rattled after Coley's second drop. I have to imagine he'll be fine.

People are complaining about Coley's play calling. This one, seriously, have you people never watched college football? When has a team started out with a cupcake in week 1 with one of their biggest rivals in week 2, and shown even half of their playbook in week 1? It just doesn't happen. You really think we come out against Florida and try and run 5 straight WR screens? Come on people, get the **** with it.

Miami looked like a national title contender against FAMU to start the 2010 season and then the Ohio State game happened the next week. Calm down people. I'm not saying we beat Florida, but you cannot take anything from this game.

**** the Gators

Everybody keeps saying that but that's not even the concern. I'm worried about the bone-headed plays he made and the fact that he threw into coverage several times. I see those mistakes against FAU and I imagine what would happen if he made them against UF.

I worry about the fact that we couldn't covert 3rd & short against FAU.

I worry about the fact that our starting LT got beat a few times by an FAU player, and I start to imagine what would happen against a UF kid.

Everybody keeps saying that we were holding back and ****. Well ****, I guess the defense didn't get that memo cause they were running Safety blitzes, stunts, slants, etc.

"Holding back" has nothing to do with us not being able to convert 3rd & short and it also has nothing to do with the silly mistakes from Morris.

"+The Freshmen:
Outside of Stacy's drops there wasn't much to complain about from them. He'll be fine, I ain't got no worries. AQM was noticeable around the edge. Artie Burns looked good in coverage breaking up a couple of passes. The Gus Bus rumbled down the field a couple of times late in the game. And finally my boy Figatron was unleashing **** on people. He even has a pretty sweet Mile-High Salute celly going on."

All the freshmen flashed last night, but Artie stood out to me. He was on their best receiver that whole last drive and he smothered the kid. I know, I know. It's just FAU, but the WR (William Dukes) had just shy of 1000 yds last year, is 6-4, and is a decent pro prospect. Burns was freaking impressive with his coverage skills to me. IMHO it's only a matter of time before he gets some burn with the starters.

Holding back? Yes, we held back. Those are concerns, but teams usually run about half of their playbooks against teams like this in game #1. Defense ran more stuff, but defense is a different animal, that's just a fact of the game. We didn't look great, but teams rarely do in week 1. Teams are rarely crisp and sky high for teams like FAU in week 1. Go ahead and panic now, that's fine, I'll wait until after the Florida game.

EDIT: I forgot that the one ball he threw low into the defender's hands wasn't counted as a pick. Some d!ck reminded me of that. It was still embarrassingly bad though.

Forget about the int but those two drops are major. First, drops kills drives and prevent points. Second, when Morris is trying to get his rhythm going and he throws perfect passes, it messes with his psych and inhibits rhythm.

Those were big drops, did you see his reaction?

Morris was fine last night . He made great throws to Walford for that TD, he made in stride throws to Coley and even threw a bunch of change ups. That pass on the flea flicker to Duke was great too.

We cannot drop the ball and leave points off the board.

Last edited:
Advertisement

EDIT: I forgot that the one ball he threw low into the defender's hands wasn't counted as a pick. Some d!ck reminded me of that. It was still embarrassingly bad though.

Forget about the int but those two drops are major. First, drops kills drives and prevent points. Second, when Morris is trying to get his rhythem going and he throws perfect passes, it messes with his psych and inhibits rhythem.

Those were big drops, did you see his reaction?

Morris was fine last night . He made great throws to Walford for that TD, he made in stride throws to Coley and even threw a bunch of change ups. That pass on the flea flicker to Duke was great too.

We cannot drop the ball and leave points off the board.

Indeed.

The UF game will probably be a low scoring affair for both teams. I don't see either team putting up that many points. UF defense will be good and UF offense IS that bad to me (For Now). Neither team scores over 20.

The UF game will probably be a low scoring affair for both teams. I don't see either team putting up that many points. UF defense will be good and UF offense IS that bad to me (For Now). Neither team scores over 20.

If we can score 3 TDs, I think we can win.

All the tears are foolish. I took a look at that Gameday thread from last night, and it was classic. We have to have the mopiest group of assh0les in the country for fans. I bet the dudes who expect perfection from everything UM does are probably the sloppiest and most imperfect guys in their own lives.

IT WAS THE FIRST GAME! You shouldn't want to be perfect your first game. This game was perfect in that it gives the corches a lot of chances to stay on top of the team and to corch them up hard this week. Meanwhile, we dominated fau in every facet of the game.

You want to talk about 1st games and tough times? Watch what Toledo's offense does to that vaunted uf@g defense today. They're going to carve them up good. Did you guys watch FCS school NDSU beat KSU last night? The same KSU that was in the title hunt until the final week of last season. Same KSU with one of the top HCs in the game.

Positives from last night's game abound. Coley dropped two TDs, but the encouraging thing was that no one could cover him. He was WIDE OPEN both times. He'll catch those in the coming weeks and be a machine out there.

Duke is better than last year. If you tell me he's not the best player in college football, then I'll call you a jizzbag.

Some of our young guys flat out jumped off the screen. Fig is a MONSTER. That young ****** kid Artie Burns looked incredibly smooth and fast, and his coverage was unbelievable. AQM planted the QB on one play. Thought he killed the kid. Coley was uncoverable.

El Girafe' wasn't sharp, but he's a gamer. He'll be better against better teams. I'm hearing the OL wasn't run blocking, but if Duke played the whole game he would have rushed for 300 yards. That looks pretty good to me. If we had our first team in there at the goal line, then Gus Bus would have walked in.

Williams is a good QB. He is accurate and knows this offense. Anyone who thinks Olsen or Kaaya will walk in and take that job next year is dreaming. Williams will be your QB, and we can win with him.

The big teabag detective Clive gets better by the game. He's going to be a big time NFL star.

Renfrow looked nice clogging things up.

Gilbert flashed a little at the end.

Jelani looked active.

The Millionaire Thurston continues to get no respect, but he was great yesterday.

Can't wait to beat that gator *** next week.

Advertisement
The most frustrating thing has been the year-in and year-out prediction that our massive OL is a strength and we will blow DLs off the ball. Then reality sets during the first game, and we repeatedly struggle in short yardage situations, even against lesser teams.

This year the expectations have been especially high, and yet we have the same problem against an FCS team.

Until they get this issue squared away, we will not be a top level team. And this problem is especially glaring, given that we do not have a proven back-up to spell Duke. Even last night he was showing signs of fatigue, which will only get more pronounced as the year wears on.

If we can score 3 TDs, I think we can win.

Same here. I think somewhere in the 21-28 point range is what we'll need. But we also can't judge UF off of this Toledo game because the suspended players will be back for us.

At the same time that could be a plus for us seeing as they haven't had game action so they might come out rusty.

Last edited:
Solid.

You know the offense was holding back not wanting to show UiF anything. The OL still concerns me against a legit front though.

We will see.

Two supposed strengths--offensive line and Morris--did not look great.

They HAVE to step up.

Not too many WRs getting open other than Coley either. The WR group has been a concern for me as far as beating good secondaries, though I've been pretty much alone in that thinking. I don't think last night makes me feel any better. Obviously the sky isn't falling but as you pointed out, our strengths didn't exactly step up.....other than that Duke Johnson fella.

Advertisement
In terms of positives, I was very happy w/ rodgers's performance, and that is a first.

Morris's touch pass to Waters was outstanding.

And as others have mentioned, Figs and Burns will be special.

Excellent Plus/Minus Dan.

Very...shall I say...ColePens-esque.

Really liked the DL tonight.

That said, this effort results in a clear loss next week. Really need to play much better on offense.

lol How does the "effort" that UM players showed tonight result in a clear loss?.... I didnt see any players taking plays off like Clowney and the defensive players played their *** off the entire game.

You just think Florida and start sounding like a **** immediately like their team is ****n perfect the first game of the season.... gtfoh w/ that weak ****.

You dont even know the difference between effort and simply being rusty in the 1st game

Dudes get all sweaty and scary thinking about uf@g like uf@g plays perfect games every week. Let's see what uf@g does today against a MAC team. I think Toledo is going to put it to them. Then, we'll see if our fans still uf@g is perfect. You'll see different levels of play on the field on both sides next week, not just on uf@g's side.

Some positives for specific players:

Antonio Crawford. A bit up and down last night, but he flashed every part of the game last night. Gonna be a good one.

Figs- EJ who?

Coley- yes the drops were horrible but he is just so god**** smooth out there. He is gonna be a star.

Gus- more burst than Clements or Crawford

Gilbert/Kamalu- important additions and both were active last night. Good to see.

**** the Gators

You get it.

Advertisement
Back