Post game perspective on Miami fan culture

Advertisement
There's a guy who lives in my neighborhood who had an incident with drugs in his teen years and it left him mentally damaged. He mows lawns and does okay for himself. He's content and happy with his life and is a joy to be around. It's because he's happy for what he has, which is also the best he can reasonably hope to attain. That's UCF fans. We are capable of more and expect it.

Sh*t like this is why i remain on this site..

I could just see lil UCF cutting the grass on the weekends. You my friend are a visionary @JD08

giphy.gif

Advertisement
The biggest difference between Miami and UCF is not the fans, it’s 5 national championships. Those championships explain why Miami fans react differently than a second rate team in a third rate conference.

You were offered a chance refute my statement. You didn’t, like usual
You're statements are refutable once you type them. Lets get serious. Everything about you is hollow. Ninja please. Epitomy of sucker...

Advertisement
UCF only had their mythical National Title.

The Cane's fan base on the other hand, was spoiled because of the lofty level this program once attained. Yes, even before some of them were even born. They've never been able to accept the reality of NCAA sanctions, bad hires and the regents moving it away from being a football school, back (attempt anyway) towards an academic school, that gave them more attention than a couple of the greatest Head Coaches in college football.

You have to have everyone on the same page. Not the tweed suits or Donna working against it.

I know there's a lot of threads about the game last night but I bring a bit of a different perspective. I went to UCF and have watched them over the years as kind of a kid brother second team. As everyone knows they have won a ton a games and the biggest difference I see between them and Miami is that they celebrate every victory. almost all of their games end up forty something to forty something usually with them on top but they never moan and complain after winning. A win is a win and they celebrate each one like its the greatest thing ever. When I look at Miami even if they win by 20 you will see more than half the fans say they are garbage and put them down. The team is constantly ridiculed, slammed and degraded for each win and then we wonder why the players give up every year in the end. The fan and media culture in Miami is toxic to say the least and does a huge disservice to our players and coaches. If we want to see the Canes of old we need to start celebrating every victory like it's a bowl game and stop slamming the coaches and players by acting like they are losers after every game.

Just my 2cents, take it how you like
You are correct, but if the players are that weak to be affected by fans comments on message boards then they should stay off the message boards and perhaps shouldn't be here.

We are a dillusional fanbase and I'm one of them with regard to what I believe is a standard that we haven't seen in years. We all know that Clemson is the standard and that's what fans are fairly or unfairly comparing ourselves to. We know we're not at Clemson's level, but fans are extremely critical if they believe we're not progressing towards their level even in a win.

I know there's a lot of threads about the game last night but I bring a bit of a different perspective. I went to UCF and have watched them over the years as kind of a kid brother second team. As everyone knows they have won a ton a games and the biggest difference I see between them and Miami is that they celebrate every victory. almost all of their games end up forty something to forty something usually with them on top but they never moan and complain after winning. A win is a win and they celebrate each one like its the greatest thing ever. When I look at Miami even if they win by 20 you will see more than half the fans say they are garbage and put them down. The team is constantly ridiculed, slammed and degraded for each win and then we wonder why the players give up every year in the end. The fan and media culture in Miami is toxic to say the least and does a huge disservice to our players and coaches. If we want to see the Canes of old we need to start celebrating every victory like it's a bowl game and stop slamming the coaches and players by acting like they are losers after every game.

Just my 2cents, take it how you like
That's how it was in the early Howard days. **** we were happy to still even have a program. There's an expectation of excellence now and yes while many of our fans are just miserable people never happy with anything (I think this is a South Florida thing in general) the high expectations shouldn't surprise anyone.

Miami football fans know a thing or 2 about football excellence and what it's supposed to look and feel like. The Miami Dolphins of the early 70's set the standard. Miami was a crazed football city back then. Football became part of the culture in Miami back in the 70's. There are goal posts in almost every park in the city because of the Miami Dolphins. Kids in Miami grow up playing football in the streets. I'm talking real street football. Where you bleed while you play because it's supposed to be touch on the street and tackle in the grass. To say Miami loves it's football is an understatement. We can thank the late Joe Robbie and the Miami Dolphins for that. Then came the 80's and the Miami Hurricanes showed up on the college football scene and changed the college football world forever and the rest is history. The City of Miami grew to love the Miami Hurricanes more than it loved the once mighty Miami Dolphins. You see, Miami fans understand what a 17-0 season looks and feels like. We also know what winning 5 National Championships in less than 20 years looks and feel like. We also know what it looks and feels like to watch The U litter the NFL with hall of fame talent.
That 17-0 season is still to this day the gold standard when it comes to football excellence. So is winning 5 National Championships in less than 20 years. Both happened in the City of Miami. Orlando is still a baby compared to Miami and UCF fan has no idea what football excellence is supposed to look like much less what it feels like. That my friend is a Canes thing. U will never Understand.

Go Canes!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami football fans know a thing or 2 about football excellence and what it's supposed to look and feel like. The Miami Dolphins of the early 70's set the standard. Miami was a crazed football city back then. Football became part of the culture in Miami back in the 70's. There are goal posts in almost every park in the city because of the Miami Dolphins. Kids in Miami grow up playing football in the streets. I'm talking real street football. Where you bleed while you play because it's supposed to be touch on the street and tackle in the grass. To say Miami loves it's football is an understatement. We can thank the late Joe Robbie and the Miami Dolphins for that. Then came the 80's and the Miami Hurricanes showed up on the college football scene and changed the college football world forever and the rest is history. The City of Miami grew to love the Miami Hurricanes more than it loved the once mighty Miami Dolphins. You see, Miami fans understand what a 17-0 season looks and feels like. We also know what winning 5 National Championships in less than 20 years looks and feel like. We also know what it looks and feels like to watch The U litter the NFL with hall of fame talent.
That 17-0 season is still to this day the gold standard when it comes to football excellence. So are winning 5 National Championships in less than 20 years. Both happened in the City of Miami. Orlando is still a baby compared to Miami and UCF fan has no idea what football excellence is supposed to look like much less what it feels like. That my friend is a Canes thing. U will never Understand.

Go Canes!!!
I was a kid in Miami in the mid 70's. Having the Dolphins with their perfect season absolutely influenced kids into playing football which led to South Florida becoming the prime recruiting grounds that enabled the 80's Canes.

Players do not fold at the end of the year because of fan culture.
S. Fl cuture. It's a culture of "What have you done for me lately?" and "Fake it till you make it." The OP has a valid point and I see it moving from Coral Gables to Orlando. There's a southern hospitality that the rest of the southeast has in it that Miami is lacking.There's a support for the team and wearwithal the culture needs.

again you are missing the point, it's not about being excited about Miami being just an above average team, it's about celebrating the victories and creating excitement for not only the players but the local recruits looking to possibly attend Miami
You want us all to fake excitement when we play like hot garbage for most of every game against inferior talent and by luck we come back to win? Fake news is complete.

Got to find my bad work holiday party smile.

Advertisement
I kind of agree with OP. We have a storied past but it’s just that, the past. We are so far removed from it, HS seniors today weren’t even born when we had this thing rolling. We’ve got to build back up to that but you don’t go from being a sub .500 team losing to 2 G5s to blowing out every single opponent that you play.

We’ve made massive strides this season, on the field and off, and up until Saturday night this board was as big of a cesspool as it’s ever been. We were 7-1, ranked #10 and this fùcking place was miserable. Because we weren’t dropping 50 and pitching shutouts every game. Now it’s not quite as bad bc we curb stomped Duke and it may stay ok with any type of W over UNC, but let us not obliterate GT and the naysayers will climb back out of the woodwork, talking shít and firing people.

I can’t speak for other fanbases but there is zero perspective with ours, a lot of living in the past and a lot of stupidity. Add in some unrealistic expectations and you’ve got CIS.

No offense, OP, and I get what u’re coming from regarding celebrating victories, but let’s be clear:

1. UCF’s schedule is on par w the talent they recruit. Heupel is probably the best coach in the AAC, but don’t get it twisted, it’s not like UCF’s recruiting classes r smashing any other classes in the AAC

2. UCF has zero history. Zero! They should be happy for any victory; but that mentality has changed since their proclaimed Nat’l title. Winning changes ur perspective real quick. Go peep Bama’s board when their def was giving up ***. They won, and their fan base was going nuts.

That brings us to the fans, here. The fans here know what a Miami team looks like. The fan base here know that our recruiting classes absolutely demolishes any team in the ACC Coastal. Our fan base have been used to winning, dominating, sending 1st rounder after 1st rounder to the NFL. We’ve been accustomed to a certain standard. So celebrating a squeak-by win against a trash team w/ back up QB after back up QB is not going to set well with this fan base b/c we’ve seen that complacency before. We know this team has been playing below par (per our talent) for a while, therefore u’re going to be flooded w these reactions.

Now, I will say some comments r just absolutely ridiculous, including some expectations, but it’s an unfair comparison w/ UCF or any G5 school fans & our fans. Respectfully disagree w this OP.

We have higher standards than that.

If you want to be excited for ugly wins against bad teams then maybe UCF the perfect team.
I don't think it's about standards alone. Sure, given our history, we have higher standards and objectives. But as Relly said, it's more about taking a sober look at talent at UM and repeatedly see them under perform against teams that are over matched. The frustrations has gradually built up for over 15 years.

I was a kid in Miami in the mid 70's. Having the Dolphins with their perfect season absolutely influenced kids into playing football which led to South Florida becoming the prime recruiting grounds that enabled the 80's Canes.
Yes I lived through this era myself. Have had season tickets for both Dolphins & CANES since 78. Loved seeing Flipper in the end zone at the OB. place was electric and a staple of Miami.

Advertisement
Back