Post game perspective on Miami fan culture

flcanesfan

we back?
I know there's a lot of threads about the game last night but I bring a bit of a different perspective. I went to UCF and have watched them over the years as kind of a kid brother second team. As everyone knows they have won a ton a games and the biggest difference I see between them and Miami is that they celebrate every victory. almost all of their games end up forty something to forty something usually with them on top but they never moan and complain after winning. A win is a win and they celebrate each one like its the greatest thing ever. When I look at Miami even if they win by 20 you will see more than half the fans say they are garbage and put them down. The team is constantly ridiculed, slammed and degraded for each win and then we wonder why the players give up every year in the end. The fan and media culture in Miami is toxic to say the least and does a huge disservice to our players and coaches. If we want to see the Canes of old we need to start celebrating every victory like it's a bowl game and stop slamming the coaches and players by acting like they are losers after every game.

Just my 2cents, take it how you like

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know there's a lot of threads about the game last night but I bring a bit of a different perspective. I went to UCF and have watched them over the years as kind of a kid brother second team. As everyone knows they have won a ton a games and the biggest difference I see between them and Miami is that they celebrate every victory. almost all of their games end up forty something to forty something usually with them on top but they never moan and complain after winning. A win is a win and they celebrate each one like its the greatest thing ever. When I look at Miami even if they win by 20 you will see more than half the fans will say they are garbage and put them down. The team is constantly ridiculed, slammed and degraded for each win and then we wonder why the players give up every year in the end. The fan and media culture in Miami is toxic to say the least and does a huge disservice to our players and coaches. If we want to see the Canes of old we need to start celebrating every victory like it's a bowl game and stop slamming the coaches and players by acting like they are losers after every game.

AMEN! I agree!! Constructive criticism is one thing, but constantly downgrading the team is unfair, not acceptable, and demoralizing to the team & players.

Advertisement
No offense, OP, and I get what u’re coming from regarding celebrating victories, but let’s be clear:

1. UCF’s schedule is on par w the talent they recruit. Heupel is probably the best coach in the AAC, but don’t get it twisted, it’s not like UCF’s recruiting classes r smashing any other classes in the AAC

2. UCF has zero history. Zero! They should be happy for any victory; but that mentality has changed since their proclaimed Nat’l title. Winning changes ur perspective real quick. Go peep Bama’s board when their def was giving up ***. They won, and their fan base was going nuts.

That brings us to the fans, here. The fans here know what a Miami team looks like. The fan base here know that our recruiting classes absolutely demolishes any team in the ACC Coastal. Our fan base have been used to winning, dominating, sending 1st rounder after 1st rounder to the NFL. We’ve been accustomed to a certain standard. So celebrating a squeak-by win against a trash team w/ back up QB after back up QB is not going to set well with this fan base b/c we’ve seen that complacency before. We know this team has been playing below par (per our talent) for a while, therefore u’re going to be flooded w these reactions.

Now, I will say some comments r just absolutely ridiculous, including some expectations, but it’s an unfair comparison w/ UCF or any G5 school fans & our fans. Respectfully disagree w this OP.

Advertisement
Go spend some time with Michigan fans or Texas fans. You think Auburn & LSU fans are just happy their teams are playing hard.

This notion that Miami fans are some kind of special comes from pure unadulterated ignorance from living in a bubble.

We have higher standards than that.

If you want to be excited for ugly wins against bad teams then maybe UCF the perfect team.
again you are missing the point, it's not about being excited about Miami being just an above average team, it's about celebrating the victories and creating excitement for not only the players but the local recruits looking to possibly attend Miami

Go spend some time with Michigan fans or Texas fans. You think Auburn & LSU fans are just happy their teams are playing hard.

This notion that Miami fans are some kind of special comes from pure unadulterated ignorance from living in a bubble.
I've been a Cane fan for 30+ years so I've seen the good and bad and what I see now is a program coming back to life but the expectation that they will be Clemson year one is stupid and demoralizes the players.

there's a reason ucf will always be ucf and nothing but ucf
There is, and it has nothing to do with anything the OP posted. In fact, celebrating every win is the only chance UCF has to break into the next weight class. Happy fans pump money into programs.

For example, a Canes fan may not buy a "Russell Bowl Champions" t-shirt out of dumb sense of pride, or something, but a happy UCF fan will.

Don't overstate your importance. Being happy today has no impact on state of the program. You can choose to be happy, or choose to be a miserable mope. The team doesn't care, recruits don't care, the rankings don't care, no one cares. It just makes you a miserable mope.

Last edited:
Advertisement
again you are missing the point, it's not about being excited about Miami being just an above average team, it's about celebrating the victories and creating excitement for not only the players but the local recruits looking to possibly attend Miami
Look at the gameday thread, I was excited for the win. I've seen this Miami team celebrating tackles against Clemson when we are down 40 points, should I have been excited then too?

Exactly.

"Just be happy we won!" is some weak a$$ ****

Advertisement
There's a guy who lives in my neighborhood who had an incident with drugs in his teen years and it left him mentally damaged. He mows lawns and does okay for himself. He's content and happy with his life and is a joy to be around. It's because he's happy for what he has, which is also the best he can reasonably hope to attain. That's UCF fans. We are capable of more and expect it.

THANK YOU! This is what kills me; I know it’s us v. the world, but that don’t mean we have to live in a bubble. Being around Meeechigan, Bama, LSU, USC, Auburn, and UGA fans, we are HELLLLLLLLA timid. Bama fans were taking about firing Saban for not making the CFP last season & losing 2 games!!! Lol. Trust when I say, we r a timid fan base. We only flex flex against FSU.

I know there's a lot of threads about the game last night but I bring a bit of a different perspective. I went to UCF and have watched them over the years as kind of a kid brother second team. As everyone knows they have won a ton a games and the biggest difference I see between them and Miami is that they celebrate every victory. almost all of their games end up forty something to forty something usually with them on top but they never moan and complain after winning. A win is a win and they celebrate each one like its the greatest thing ever. When I look at Miami even if they win by 20 you will see more than half the fans say they are garbage and put them down. The team is constantly ridiculed, slammed and degraded for each win and then we wonder why the players give up every year in the end. The fan and media culture in Miami is toxic to say the least and does a huge disservice to our players and coaches. If we want to see the Canes of old we need to start celebrating every victory like it's a bowl game and stop slamming the coaches and players by acting like they are losers after every game.

If you think this board reflects "(Miami) fan culture" you are clueless. I would venture that many of those who post on this board are trolls, wanna be athletes, 12 year olds and others who have never set foot in Hard Rock Stadium.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back