Post game perspective on Miami fan culture

S. Fl cuture. It's a culture of "What have you done for me lately?" and "Fake it till you make it." The OP has a valid point and I see it moving from Coral Gables to Orlando. There's a southern hospitality that the rest of the southeast has in it that Miami is lacking.There's a support for the team and wearwithal the culture needs.
Nah, Nobody in Orlando gave a crap about UCF until they went undefeated. There's no real fanbase there. UF is their college team of preference, I went to UCF and lived in Orlando for four years. Outside of students, only a handful or people would show up to the Citrus Bowl for UCF games. They've been winning a lot recently so they get good crowds at the on campus stadium but if they even went 6-6, there would be 15,000 people there.

Advertisement
Chime in if I can for a second op. When I was in Boot Camp our final physical fitness test including a 3 mile run. Our company commander was some kind of big shot college track athlete. If you beat him in a 3 mile run you actually got a T-shirt that said I’d be the CO of Mike Comany 3rd Batallion MCRD Paris Island.
One recruit in my platoon lost him by 15 seconds. When they were done he was visibly upset, cursing, literally running around kicking a trashcan, took off his shirt and tossed it. The company commander ran a 1530 he ran a 1545.
Company commander took the platoon aside and brought him to the front. He automatically promoted him to private first class on the spot. He said the next fastest guy was almost a full minutes behind him but this young future marine is more upset that he didn’t beat one person than anyone here. It’s obviously that he wants to be a winner and his standards are extremely high. He doesn’t believe in second place.This is what being a marine is all about.

This is why a lot of people were upset about Manny sliding after one of our recent close calls. I’m not gonna be here acting like I’m this person that holds some kind of ridiculous high standards to my life and I am not going to start criticizing the head coach of a football program that probably has a lot more on my plate than I do. considering the circumstances that they had to be dealing with over those two weeks prior to that game I can understand the cause for celebration.
But I still don’t understand the thinking that we have to have the same standard of cheering and celebrating as UCF.
I sat there last year all season. Ain’t no fckng way I was gonna cheer my *** off after squeezing by a shark FckER lead central Michigan team

There is, and it has nothing to do with anything the OP posted. In fact, celebrating every win is the only chance UCF has to break into the next weight class. Happy fans pump money into programs.

For example, a Canes fan may not buy a "Russell Bowl Champions" t-shirt out of ! dumb sense of pride, or something, but a happy UCF fan will.

Don't overstate your importance. Being happy today has no impact on state of the program. You can choose to be happy, or choose to be a miserable mope. The team doesn't care, recruits don't care, the rankings don't care, no one cares. It just makes you a miserable mope.
Amen, and we have a lot of miserable foul mouthed mopes on these boards. We have plenty of great fans, but our bad ones are the worst!!

Advertisement
Nah, Nobody in Orlando gave a crap about UCF until they went undefeated. There's no real fanbase there. UF is their college team of preference, I went to UCF and lived in Orlando for four years. Outside of students, only a handful or people would show up to the Citrus Bowl for UCF games. They've been winning a lot recently so they get good crowds at the on campus stadium but if they even went 6-6, there would be 15,000 people there.
I'm talking about the culture. The idea of hanging your hat on the expensive car, or win totals, or status in general is more prevalent in Miami than Orlando. I'm sure you noticed the difference in customer service, didn't you?

I'm talking about the culture. The idea of hanging your hat on the expensive car, or win totals, or status in general is more prevalent in Miami than Orlando. I'm sure you noticed the difference in customer service, didn't you?
Bruh what? I’m sorry this is not only off topic but a beta mentality. No one from Miami visits Orlando and is posting pics on the gram flexing their location. Everyone in Orlando comes to Miami and first thing they do is come down looking to post a fire pic.

It’s easy to meet expectations when they’re lower. Miami is the destination, the sign you made it. This applies to football as well as real life. No one dreams of ending up in Buffalo over NYC.

If I’m a blue chip recruit, I’d rather go to a school where the fans expect me to be great because that’s the expectation I have of myself.

The general culture of Orlando is a combination of hillbilly old Florida redneck, and jealous wannabe. Half the people there want it to be the “old south” the other half want it to be some kind of fake version of south Florida but where everything is five years behind.

S. Fl cuture. It's a culture of "What have you done for me lately?" and "Fake it till you make it." The OP has a valid point and I see it moving from Coral Gables to Orlando. There's a southern hospitality that the rest of the southeast has in it that Miami is lacking.There's a support for the team and wearwithal the culture needs.
One could reasonably argue that the bold applies literally everywhere, so I think it's virtually tautology.

I don't know what you're referring to by "Southern Hospitality?" Is it more prevalent in San Antonio? Atlanta? Valdosta? Myrtle Beach? Virginia? Raleigh? The Mississippi Delta? Also, I don't know what link you are trying to make between "hospitality" (which I think of as openness or a warm welcome) an support for a college football team.

If by wherewithal you refer to financially backing the team, then I agree, and have made that point many times.

OP's post concerned fan support. To which I would further say, that with few fans at all at games this year, the players have made it to 8-1. So I am not backing off the assertion that "fan culture" is not the cause for players to fold (or not fold).

Advertisement
Where was that so called southern hospitality the last time Miami traveled to Orlando to play UCF? The sold out stadium was practically empty well before the 4th qtr. These so called great UCF fans bailed on their team
to head downtown to get their party on because the Canes were throttling UCF. UCF fans are about as fake as their "national title"
You may not like it but for the most part. Cane fans keep it real.

Go Canes!!!

Mo
Where was that so called southern hospitality the last time Miami traveled to Orlando to play UCF? The sold out stadium was practically empty well before the 4th qtr. These so called great UCF fans bailed on their team
to head downtown to get their party on because the Canes were throttling UCF. UCF fans are about as fake as their "national title"
You may not like it but for the most part. Cane fans keep it real.

Go Canes!!!
Most of the crowd was UM fans. They jacked up their single game ticket price so much for that game that none of the locals wanted to pay to see them get crushed.

Amen, and we have a lot of miserable foul mouthed mopes on these boards. We have plenty of great fans, but our bad ones are the worst!!
Isn't that the truth. Nothing worse than seeing a wasted Canes fan in the parking lot or in the stadium picking a fight with an opposing fan just because he can. Most of our fans are great but our bad ones are about as bad as it gets. Some Cane fans are the best winners and the worst losers all wrapped into 1.

Go Canes!!

B*tching and moaning takes a lot of effort, if you're going to gain any degree of expertise at b*tching and moaning. We have fans who have honed their b*tching and moaning skills for decades - and decades!

Properly done, b*tching and moaning requires a very high level of paying attention to detail - to see what everyone else sees - that's not worthy of a B*tching and Moaning Master. You must be able to see tiny *****-ups that no one else has yet b*tched and moaned about.

Discernment is the secret.

I've certainly done my share and then some - b*tching and moaning - but try as I can - I'm like a third-team b*tcher and moaner.

Yet - I'll strive to up my game so I can feel comfortable around the bulk of other UM B*tching and Moaning Hall of Famers.

Everybody gotta have some goals!

Advertisement
If you're a doormat and irrelevant for years, then of course you'll celebrate every win like they're special. But if you've lived through multiple NCs with strings of consecutive double-digit wins every year, then you know that not every win is equal. That's just the way it is. There is no way a Miami fan that's been there for years can revert back to that level of wide-eyed enthusiasm.

Advertisement
Back