Post-camp thoughts (long)

So, I don't think you're wrong with your premise in that players can mature at different rates.

Skalski:
2016- 14 run defense snaps, two run stops (14.3%)
2017- 95 run defense snaps, 12 run stops (12.6%)
2018- 30 run defense snaps, 3 run stops (10%)
2019- 302 run defense snaps, 42 run stops (13.9%)
2020- 108 run defense snaps, 18 run stops (16.7%)

He's essentially produced at the same rate each year.

Flagg:
2020- 107 run defense snaps, 3 run stops (2.8%)

I have been one of Flagg's biggest detractors. I just don't see the athleticism of the better MLBs we've had a Miami. From what I can see, Flagg is smaller and slower than Shaq, though a little less stiff. Against Bama and Clemson offenses, that won't cut it.

I will say that Flagg didn't look terrible watching ESPN's rerun of the Pitt game last night. If he worked all offseason with Feeley to lose a little bad weight and gain a step or two in quickness, he could finish those plays and up his production dramatically. It still won't be enough against top 10 competition. But it will help us win those 10+ games we need to be considered a legit program again and enable us to recruit better.

Brooks (preinjury) and Cave both have the god-given speed to contribute at a high level. But I'm not sure if Brooks has the mental part down. You need to be both instinctual and smart at MLB, and the fact he was a rush end for most of his football career gives me pause. If I were to bet on any guy, it would be Cave. I really want to see him have at least a JHH level second year impact, hopefully a Rousseau-level one.

Advertisement
So, I don't think you're wrong with your premise in that players can mature at different rates.

Skalski:
2016- 14 run defense snaps, two run stops (14.3%)
2017- 95 run defense snaps, 12 run stops (12.6%)
2018- 30 run defense snaps, 3 run stops (10%)
2019- 302 run defense snaps, 42 run stops (13.9%)
2020- 108 run defense snaps, 18 run stops (16.7%)

He's essentially produced at the same rate each year.

Flagg:
2020- 107 run defense snaps, 3 run stops (2.8%)

I can dig this, but Clemson doesn’t leave their linebackers exposed the way we do. Skalski also didn’t have to deal with a fractured offseason. It’s hard enough being a freshman, but that type distraction and interruption is hard to overcome.

We simplified the scheme for our freshman linebackers in 2016. I don’t think much was changed just to account for Flagg.

Like any player, Flagg might not pan out, but the crazy circumstances of 2020 make it unfair to judge him based on numbers when he should have never played at all except maybe a few garbage time snaps. 2021 will give a more fair comparison. We will all be watching closely.

Someone tried to tell everyone about him. lol ....just spoke to him 2 days ago..loving it up there.

I cant remember his recruitment...Did he have a legit offer from us and did we recruit him hard? Would he have come here if we wanted him?

Advertisement
I cant remember his recruitment...Did he have a legit offer from us and did we recruit him hard? Would he have come here if we wanted him?

Didnt recruit him too hard...likely would have came if recruited hard early on...Maryland did and kind of secured him early.

He'll be a good solid player in college, love his temperament, he is all about business/football.

Quite frankly im shocked they didnt recruit him hard....he is faster than everyone of our lbs we have now and actually played off the ball lb. But our evals at LB has been bad for quite some time.

Fans like to dog my boy Huff but he legitimately came here weighing like 185pds soaking wet and with a young baby. I wasnt expecting much from him other than special teams work up to this point and thats what we have gotten as he gets accustomed to college life and weightroom.

We are missing Hyppolite right now. He’s going to ball at Maryland this year.
I was very vocal about the necessity of landing Hyppolite. I don't remember but was this the staff not going all out for him or was he gone anyway? If its the former then that is a mistake that cannot be justified no matter how hard one tries.

We definitely didn’t attack Hyppolite hard enough. I was whining that entire recruiting year about it. Loved that kid’s HUDL.

Geta do you think Huff’s lightbulb goes on soon? It’s year three. He’s still only 205’ per Miami’s official site.

Still wouldn’t have solved our MLB issues though. The guy I wanted was Rosenfo Louis. Like Brooks, he’s been injured most of his college career though and hasn’t done anything at USCe.

The truth is we have needed a wider net and better recruiting for years at LB. TRob has opened everyone’s eyes to how it should be done.

Advertisement
Damm I just Google him earlier today to see if anyone picked him up....lots of teams need rbs...don't know why he hasn't been called up....ravens....rams....Damm even jaguars....

Excuse my ignorance but how does one make a depth chart watching drills 30 minutes ?
Pretty easy sitting from your arm chair QB chair having gotten an education from NCAA 14 on how to run a program to the BCS… errrr I mean playoffs

We are missing Hyppolite right now. He’s going to ball at Maryland this year.
Still makes me sick. I'm no mope, but i have zero faith when it comes to linebacker recruiting or development here unless Patke is somehow great. Manny is bad at it period and he's proven that time and again.

We definitely didn’t attack Hyppolite hard enough. I was whining that entire recruiting year about it. Loved that kid’s HUDL.

Geta do you think Huff’s lightbulb goes on soon? It’s year three. He’s still only 205’ per Miami’s official site.

Still wouldn’t have solved our MLB issues though. The guy I wanted was Rosenfo Louis. Like Brooks, he’s been injured most of his college career though and hasn’t done anything at USCe.

The truth is we have needed a wider net and better recruiting for years at LB. TRob has opened everyone’s eyes to how it should be done.
Was Rosenfo Louis the kid from Deerfield?

Advertisement
@DMoney

Regarding the LBs I think most would agree that they are the weak link. My question to you is if you feel that Flagg can step up and hold down the Mike position? Based on everything you saw and heard do you believe that Cave has the ability to take or make a run for that spot during the season? At Will what type of player do you expect Keontra Smith to be? Are you very high on him or do you believe there will be a significant adjustment period? In your opinion is there anyone else at LB that you feel may come on during the season? Do you still think Sam Brooks can be a factor? Is Huff just not processing the game or is he just not suited for LB at this level? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
From PFF preview:

NC State might be a little underrated from an offensive perspective heading into 2021. Starting in the trenches, they have one of the most well-rounded centers in college football in Grant Gibson and one of the best run-blockers overall in Ikem Ekwonu. They’ll be opening up lanes for running back Zonovan Knight, who is the most valuable returning running back in the ACC based on 2020 PFF WAA generated. The receiving unit is oozing with potential. Wide receiver Emeka Emezie is coming off a latecareer breakout year, and former walk-on Thayer Thomas reclaimed the play he flashed back in 2018. Those two are both among the five most valuable wide receivers returning to the ACC based on 2020 WAA. Not to mention, they also have 2020 four-star true freshman Porter Rooks coming off a productive season as a reserve. Starting quarterback Devin Leary looked like a new man in the four games we got to see from him in 2020, too; he had at least four big-time throws in all three games he started. The defense isn’t anything to brag about, but if this offense can reach its full potential, the over-6 wins looks likely to cash.

Emezie is a beast. I didn't know his name prior to last year, but when I watched them he jumped off the screen. Big body WR with good hands & catch radius.
Their D is going to be bad.

Advertisement
Now that camp is done, it's a good time for a breakdown of where each position stands. This is based on things I've seen with my own eyes and things I’ve heard from multiple sources.

QB- Most important thing first: D’Eriq King looks 100%. You don’t know for sure until live pressure, but the average person watching practice would have no idea he got hurt. If anything, he looks faster due to weight loss. The battle between Tyler Van Dyke and Jake Garcia should go through next year. Different people within the program have different preferences. TVD has NFL physical tools and does everything the coaches ask him to do. He will execute the offense as drawn and performed well in the second scrimmage. He may be even better in live contact due to his strong legs and ability to handle tacklers. Garcia is the more natural passer. He spreads the ball, has a quicker release and is deadly accurate. He was also better in the first scrimmage. Both guys appear good enough to play right now and, aside from Dorsey and Kaaya, are miles beyond our other QBs this millennium at the Greentree stage. This position is a strength of the team.

RB- The top two guys for Bama should be Cam Harris and Don Chaney. Everyone looked good at the second scrimmage, including Chaney and Jaylan Knighton breaking long runs. Knighton is much improved from a mediocre spring and should factor in as the year goes on. Cody Brown is ahead of Thad Franklin, largely due to reliability. Brown showed up in good shape and plays like a bigger Travis Homer. He had several pancakes as a pass blocker and has excellent contact balance. Franklin is a 1K talent but showed up out of shape and missed the second scrimmage due to injury. Overall, this is another strong position.

WR- No change at the top from spring- the top guys are Mike Harley (by far), Charleston Rambo, Keyshawn Smith and Xavier Restrepo. Harley is devastating in the slot due to his combination of vertical speed and quickness. Rambo needs to catch the ball more consistently. Smith made a big play in the second scrimmage and has the best releases on the team. He also needs a bit more consistency and understanding of the position. He's the best overall athlete, though. Restrepo makes plays every day and is a favorite target of all three QBs. He is quick and smart like the best slot receivers, but also brings added YAC value due to his RB build.

Mike Redding needs consistent availability. The three freshmen receivers were the story of both scrimmages and will all play. Jacolby George is the most natural receiver in terms of changing speeds, tracking the ball and winning at the LOS. His big hands and long arms allow him to play bigger than he looks. Romello Brinson is long, fast and tough. He made plays in both scrimmages. Brashard Smith is the most dynamic after the catch and brings a YAC element we lacked last year. He may play the most early due to his versatility as a runner and receiver. Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins could be odd men out with the emergence of the young guys. They may still play due to the nature of our offense, but their inconsistencies remain. While this position still lacks an alpha, #1 X-receiver, it is much improved from a talent standpoint.

TE- There are two impact talents at this position: Will Mallory and Elijah Arroyo. The key for Mallory is just staying healthy after various injuries. Arroyo looks and runs like Mallory, but is already bigger and more physical. He is going to be a big part of this year’s team. The other TEs are more limited and are well behind the top two. Larry Hodges and Khalil Brantley are similar H-back type players. Dom Mammarelli is still working his way back from injury.

OL- Much improved. Biggest difference is at guard. You have Navaughn Donaldson (6’6, 350) and Jalen Rivers (6’5, 325) replacing Jakai Clark (6’3, 305) and Delone Scaife (6’3, 306). Corey Gaynor has athletic limitations but the coaches consider him one of our top 2 linemen going into the season. As Coach Justice noted, he tried to do other peoples’ jobs for them last year. He will be much better alongside the big boys. Zion Nelson should be good to go for Bama. Scaife and Jarrid Williams have been holding down the tackles and both should play at RT.

Depth is not as good following injuries to Clark and John Campbell, who had a really nice spring. Justice Oluwason is working tackle and guard and, while on the shorter side, looks like a good athlete. The backups beyond him are more questionable. Laurance Seymore has gotten the most second-team reps at C and should be a good one with more development. Ousman Troure, Zalontae Hillary and Kai-Leon Herbert have age but haven’t distinguished themselves. Ryan Rodriguez is a likely redshirt, needs more strength. Should be a good technical guard in the future. Michael McLaughlin needs a lot of work, the injury in spring set him back. He has the size. Chris Washington needs more weight. Isaiah Walker is the most talented athlete of the group but the focus with him is health. Cleveland Reed is not game-ready.

DT- This is the most underrated position on the team. The key here is Jess Simpson. Multiple coaches have said he is the best coach on the staff, and those who worked with him in 2018 rave about his results. Jon Ford (6’5, 315) and Jordan Miller (6’4, 320) are in the best shape of their lives and have seven years of experience between them. They look like SEC linemen and should contribute to improvement against the run. Nesta Silvera needs to focus on using his hands and staying disciplined within an already aggressive upfield scheme. Jared Harrison-Hunte is a perfect scheme fit with surprising strength. Remember, Jess Simpson recruited him.

Leonard Taylor is as advertised. He made big plays in both scrimmages and most practices. Think a bigger, stronger, better version of Gerald Willis being coached by Simpson. Elijah Roberts is still on the lighter side but is too athletic and instinctual to keep off the field. He consistently makes plays. I like him getting snaps at DE over the course of the year. Allan Haye has good football instincts and has also made plays. Solid rotational talent in the future, although his upside is below Taylor, JHH or Roberts.

DE- I’m worried here, moreso for the Alabama game than the ACC schedule. We need a little more length and size. DeAndre Johnson is probably the top guy and can make plays in the backfield. Zach McCloud is a better DE than LB due to his effort and not having to read/react. Jahfari Harvey is also more OLB/DE size but is very good at redirecting to the QB and making plays during chaos and DL games. All three are below our DEs last year but capable of making ACC sacks in this defense.

Chantz Williams brings the best combination of size, effort, strength and speed. He’s not that coordinated or flexible, which hurts him on the straight pass rush. I suspect the positives will outweigh the negatives. He’s also good at getting in passing lanes (Ben Wallace-type HS basketball player). Thomas Davis makes plays when healthy, despite his height. Jabari Ishmael is likely redshirt. Upside remains high due to length, he can disrupt plays almost by accident.

LB- The weak spot of the team. The best chance for a true impact player is Keontra Smith. We’ve been calling for the position switch for a while, and he has flourished immediately. Verified 4.55 speed and plays fast. Good instincts in the box and made a lot of plays in both scrimmages. Corey Flagg had an excellent second scrimmage and looks like the starter at MLB. He's a solid option for now despite physical limitations. Sam Brooks can jump in the rotation as he gets healthier from his toe surgery. Very physically developed and elite athletic tools when healthy. Waynmon Steed is a solid veteran. The key for him is continuing to regain his pre-injury athleticism. Bradley Jennings is the same guy he was, some physicality but limited. Avery Huff lost some of the momentum he had in spring. Still about the mental game with him. Tirek Austin-Cave made some strides with the MLB move before getting nicked up. He is back and a guy with potential to move up the depth chart. Deshawn Troutman is a true LB but small. Tyler Johnson is still getting acclimated. Both seem like redshirt candidates.

Striker- Maybe the best position on the defense. Don’t be surprised to see multiple “striker-bodies” on the field at once. NFL scouts thought Gil Frierson was one of our best players last year. He has lost some excess weight from spring and should be a major contributor. Amari Carter has been a revelation at striker. Playing closer to the ball has highlighted his strengths (play recognition, physicality) while limiting some of his weaknesses (long-speed, tightness). Some people think he is our best striker. Chase Smith looks like a future first round pick- length, frame, speed, instincts, striking ability. I believe we should move him to LB. He can make a Keontra-like impact there and give us two true talents at a need position.

Safety- Another good position. Bubba Bolden and Gurvan Hall are locked in and playing well under TRob. One of our new staff members believes Hall is as physically talented as any safety he’s ever been around. Kamren Kinchens has been an INT machine in camp and is a favorite of the staff. His intangibles are elite. Brian Balom is almost physically identical to Kinchens and should be a solid rotation guy. James Williams is too special not to see the field somewhere. I can see him getting used how Amari Carter was used early in his career, especially as a blitzer. He is capable of playing safety but is best closer to the ball. Safety highlights some of his weaknesses with long-speed and breaking down for open-field tackles at 6’5. In total, he has a good attitude and can do a lot of different things. Keyshawn Washington looks like a backup type, a more talented Knowles.

Cornerback- We have a very good top three and then some question marks. Tyrique Stevenson is built like a LB and hits like one. He’s also athletic enough to return punts. There are some foot quickness issues against smaller receivers, but he is a baller with aggression. DJ Ivey is the most talented cover guy on the team and the most dominant practice corner since spring. TRob has publically and privately compared his skillset to Jaycee Horn. The ifs—and they are big ones—are his ability to confidently play the ball and tackle in games. Te’Cory Couch is a competitor with surprising length and a lot of life in his feet. Ideal nickel corner. Al Blades is still working his way back. In my unprofessional opinion, he should focus on getting leaner/quicker as opposed to stronger.

Isaiah Dunson is aggressive in run support and has some ball skills. Questions with him are strength and speed. Marcus Clarke flashes but needs to be more consistent mentally and as a tackler. Jalen Harrell fits better at striker in terms of size and speed, IMO. Malik Curtis missed the beginning of camp due to family issues, but can run and made some nice open field tackles in the scrimmages.

Kicker- Andre Borregales looks like the real deal. Different body type than his brother (more of a soccer player build) but same strength and accuracy.

Overall, we are a similar team to last year with some key improvements. First, our OL is more experienced across the board and bigger inside. Second, we added some stud defensive coaches (Simpson, TRob, Shoop) with big-league experience. Third, we are better at the skill positions with high-level overall speed. Fourth, this freshman class looks like the real deal and should contribute heavily over the course of the year. Finally, we are one of the oldest and most experienced teams in the nation.

There are really two schedules- the Bama game and everything else. If we can perform well against Bama, I think this team has what it takes to ride that momentum to real success. We cannot afford a stinker.

great write up D$!!…can’t wait for the Week 1 hype pod to drop

@DMoney

Regarding the LBs I think most would agree that they are the weak link. My question to you is if you feel that Flagg can step up and hold down the Mike position? Based on everything you saw and heard do you believe that Cave has the ability to take or make a run for that spot during the season? At Will what type of player do you expect Keontra Smith to be? Are you very high on him or do you believe there will be a significant adjustment period? In your opinion is there anyone else at LB that you feel may come on during the season? Do you still think Sam Brooks can be a factor? Is Huff just not processing the game or is he just not suited for LB at this level? Thank you I advance.
I think Flagg can hold it down but won't be on the level of Shaq. He will be more productive than what we got last year. Cave is trending in the right direction. Late camp injury set him back a little.

Keontra Smith is by far the most promising LB. He has a chance to be actually good and impactful over the course of the season. Brooks will come down to health. Huff still not processing well enough.

Stop it! Just Stop it! Manny Diaz is fully responsible for the situation at LB'er. First he hired his unremarkable buddies to be DC and LB coached. Secondly they both were unimpressive to recruits. Third both were horrible evaluators. Forth both were not good coaches able to develop talent. Fifth, neither could make in game adjustment so teams kept doing what was working. Only reason these clowns, exception Patke still here, are not still here is because some other teams did us a favor and took them. Lastly, Diaz only brought in Williams and TRob because his buddies left. Unfortunately Williams got DC job at UCF.

Moral of the story? Hire best qualified and accomplished coaches, not your likeness or friends.

Stop it! Just Stop it! Manny Diaz is fully responsible for the situation at LB'er. First he hired his unremarkable buddies to be DC and LB coached. Secondly they both were unimpressive to recruits. Third both were horrible evaluators. Forth both were not good coaches able to develop talent. Fifth, neither could make in game adjustment so teams kept doing what was working. Only reason these clowns, exception Patke still here, are not still here is because some other teams did us a favor and took them. Lastly, Diaz only brought in Williams and TRob because his buddies left. Unfortunately Williams got DC job at UCF.

Moral of the story? Hire best qualified and accomplished coaches, not your likeness or friends.
Agree with your points and ultimate conclusion. However, I understand why Manny hired his friends. He did not have a well-established "coaching tree" that he could dip into when he was hired. When you are building a team your initial reaction is to hire the most qualified candidates to execute the job, but you also need people who will have your back when things get bumpy.

Manny was "hands-off" when it came to the offensive staff allowing Enos to make all the decision. He then went conservative and hired his "buddies" on the defensive side to make sure he was protected. Both strategies failed miserably (although I am not convinced Patke is a coaching liability...this year will let me know).

Give Manny some credit. He learns from his mistakes and tries to rectify the problems.

Advertisement
Back