Post-camp thoughts (long)

Advertisement
Flagg had 1 solo tackle last yr

Yes… 1 solo tackle

Yet you begged for “The best LB we have” last year.

A9129C4B-9E22-45FF-8AB7-BAA29917C4B3.jpeg

It’s a university infractions deal, not an athletics decision.

Sort of like Capone getting got on tax evasion deal.
So does Manny have any type of say/pull in this or is it going to some board to decide? Do we know who is/are the decision maker/s?

Advertisement
We need to beat North Carolina. that is the game we need to win. Not settling with this team I think we can put out our best team since 07-08

D$ said DE are a worry and lb is weakness.. That is a big chunk of front 7 that is a issue.. Somebody needs to step up and "star" for us..

So Smith and the striker position both look good but that one other linebacker spot can't muster decency out of the 7 other LBs on the roster? With improved d line coaching I don't really see it being an issue unless reports are wrong about Striker and Smith.

Defensive end is another story. We've always had talent at DE and I'm a bit nervous about what this d would look like without it.

Of all the good news we’ve heard from camp, Carter turning into a stud after the position change is the pill I just cannot swallow.

“He’s more comfortable and natural at striker”? Yep, sure, get it. “He’s a revelation.” Pardon?

It’s not even that I am so down on the guy, the equation just doesn't work for me.

Well. Just put in a little more effort. It'll come!

Advertisement
We need to beat North Carolina. that is the game we need to win. Not settling with this team I think we can put out our best team since 07-08
Pretty sure Miami was awful in 07-08 though but I agree this squad "should" hopefully be one of the better teams they've had in a long time

He was also dead last in run stops (tackles at or within two yards of LOS) in the ACC.

He’s never made a play in his Miami career to this point. Long way to go to be more than a JAG out there.

Bradley Jennings makes more plays but misses a ton of tackles.

Cave is the guy I had hoped would take that spot. Really cannot believe we didn’t take a transfer MLB.

Advertisement
Great to read positive practice reports about them, but until proven otherwise on the field I'm going to be skeptical about Carter, Ivey, Hall, and even Ford/Miller. All have been pretty mediocre up to this point.

Last edited:
He was also dead last in run stops (tackles at or within two yards of LOS) in the ACC.

He’s never made a play in his Miami career to this point. Long way to go to be more than a JAG out there.

Bradley Jennings makes more plays but misses a ton of tackles.

Cave is the guy I had hoped would take that spot. Really cannot believe we didn’t take a transfer MLB.

According to Miami's official site, Cave is 6'1" at 225. Is that legit? still light for an MLB but in the ball park. Brooks and Flagg are listed at 230, Keontra at 205 as a comparison.

Advertisement
Every season we have had question about our DL, players have left when they shouldn't and players have graduated. The only thing that concerns me about or DEs is one of them getting injured for any significant period. Its one of the easiest position to learn and we actually have talent there. I have seen plenty of teams where their players were average, new coaches come in and its almost a 180. We seen it when Diaz took over from No D. Baker was slightly better than No D calling 70% zone is ridiculous. Plus like i said, the most important thing that can change a defense, much more than scheme, is positional development. And we brought in coaches with proven track records at their positions and i expect to see immediate improvements.

Not everyone on our defense needs to be a playmaker, we need the role players to do their role well so the play makers can do their thing. So if that means Ford occupy a couple of blockers so Harrison-Hunte can kill the QB, so be it and if that means Flagg takes the right angle to funnel the play to Keontra then that's what needs to be done. I wanna see players who no matter what talent level they have, they know exactly where they need to be on every play, no matter what the offense puts out. Thats what i want to see and thats what i think we will see

Advertisement
Back