Post-camp thoughts (long)

It's true we haven't seen anything with our own eyes, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything. People who directly observed fall camp last year raved about Jaelan Phillips. People with info from sources with eyes on our practices all reported that JP15 was elite. Go look at some of DMoney's old posts leading up to the beginning of last season. This year is much different. All reports from people in the know suggest our DEs are noticeably less talented than last year's DEs. Hopefully better coaching can make up for some of that difference, particularly against the run, but our pass rush will probably take a step back this year.
A couple of points. Concerns regarding Jalaen's ability to stay healthy were always there. Whether Phillips was very talented was never in question. Putting it all together into a complete season was the issue. That being said expecting our defensive ends to replace an All-American picked in the middle first round draft would be ridiculous. But we can expect them to be good. If the tackles are very good this year, then that is going to take pressure off our ends. I'm not sure our current group is noticeably less talented than Quincy Roche. Quincy was more of a 3-4 linebacker build and definitely under 250 pounds. The issue with our current group is they are more undersized in the 250 to 260 range. We may get more production out of our tackles in pass rush than we've seen in quite a long time. JHH and Taylor are really suited to be really effective on passing downs. I'll take one on one's with Johnson and Harvey and even with McCloud and Williams if JHH and Taylor are really good. We shall see.

Advertisement
@DMoney I know the staff trust Flagg‘s knowledge of the defense so when you say he’s improved…….exactly what has improve.
The main thing our LBs need to improve, which you wont be able to tell in practices, is their play recognition and reading keys. We always focus on speed.and athletics, to be elite you usually need that but there are ton of good players who don't have pro measurements. They simply know how to read the game and are where they need to be.

Nah, Restrepo isn't a pure slot receiver, much more solid. We were using Harley on the outside last year. There's zero reason X couldn't be used outside the slot, as well. Same with Brashard. I want to see them as utility knives that cause nightmares for DCs because you never know where they'll lineup or what they'll do post snap.
Additionally, we can run some 10 personnel this year and Restrepo can be on field as well.

There may even be some true spread looks in 00 personnel. Motion Brashard into backfield out of that look as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised with X playing 25% of snaps this year. That’s ~20-25 snaps a game in this offense.
Does X's skillset translate to outside WR? Short area quickness, the ability to work in space and get open, and reliable hands.

I would be surprised to see him on the outside. Harley has already played there, so if you are going with a small lineup, I would think you move Harley outside and X stays in the slot. Between Rambo, Harley, Brinson, Key Smith and hopefully Redding & Wiggins, I would think X stays in the slot. Just my opinion, but what do you guys see that makes you think he can work outside?

Advertisement
Most outsiders see Alabama and UNC as better than Miami. Fair. I do think 3 games on Miami's schedule are being undervalued by most.

UVA- is going to be tough. They are extremely well coached, and a tough physical bunch. They return their OL who played well against Miami last year, and their QB Armstrong is a gamer. We have played 4 tight games in a row vs. UVA, and I don't see a reason why this year should be any different.

N.C. State-I heard an analyst the other day saying he thinks this is the best team Doerean has had at State. The key is getting their QB Leary back. They have numerous All ACC selections. They should be really good offensively.

@Pitt-At Pittsburgh seems to always be a tough game, and they have their QB back.

The common theme is the QB play in the ACC is going to be very very good this year. Teams like VT and App State may not be walkovers either.
Agree. I don't see the schedule as any cake-walk. All teams bring back seniority and as you mentioned, the QB play is going to be pretty strong.

Thanks to DMoney for this well written summary.

Not to toot my own horn, but i predicted that James Williams wouldnt leave Miami playing safety no matter how athletic he was for a big guy. The list of 6'5-6'6 240 lb safeties in college ball is microscopic.

Happy to see strikers stepping up, which will help immensely with LB issues. In most games, there shouldnt be an issue going with a 4-1-6 look, with two striker types on the field together instead of traditional OLBs. We already have like five kids who could fill the striker role, Keontra Smith, James Williams, Chase Smith, Carter, Frierson can all do it. And Harrell is a possibility as well.

I'm big on the Ivey bandwagon. I hate how the fanbase has picked on him, it's disgusting frankly. I hope he has his haters begging for him to come back for a fifth year.

I think Roberts needs to be at end this year. That DE depth chart is scary. I hope Roberts is adaptable enough to contribute at both DE and DT. By the way, what is going on with Quentin Williams?
Not sure if you watched the past three seasons of Miami football, but DJ Ivey was downright atrocious in coverage, especially last season. His play for a significant portion of last season was of G5 caliber, and I don't think many people would disagree.

That doesn't mean he isn't talented, and it's absolutely possible that T-Rob has unlocked that potential and made Ivey a more confident and physical corner. All reports from camp have been nothing but positive, which is a great sign. Here's to hoping it translates to the games, starting on 9/4.

Most outsiders see Alabama and UNC as better than Miami. Fair. I do think 3 games on Miami's schedule are being undervalued by most.

UVA- is going to be tough. They are extremely well coached, and a tough physical bunch. They return their OL who played well against Miami last year, and their QB Armstrong is a gamer. We have played 4 tight games in a row vs. UVA, and I don't see a reason why this year should be any different.

N.C. State-I heard an analyst the other day saying he thinks this is the best team Doerean has had at State. The key is getting their QB Leary back. They have numerous All ACC selections. They should be really good offensively.

@Pitt-At Pittsburgh seems to always be a tough game, and they have their QB back.

The common theme is the QB play in the ACC is going to be very very good this year. Teams like VT and App State may not be walkovers either.
The season will be decided by how we handle the UVA-Pitt stretch. 4 games with legit conference opponents, two of which are on the road.

@Cribby @DMoney

Any chance we see some of the DTs get burn at DE against bigger o-lines like Bama? Seems we have great depth there and some of them (LT, JHH) have explosive first steps that could translate?
It's possible. Alabama-specific prep hasn't really started yet.

The flip side is that you also need to disrupt Alabama's dynamic passing game. If having more pure pass rushers allows you to feel more comfortable going single-high, they can help the run defense indirectly.
I mentioned JHH sliding outside in another thread.

IDK what are fronts are going to look like, but if we ever go 4-3 tite, JHH seems like the perfect DE to me.

Advertisement
Agree. I don't see the schedule as any cake-walk. All teams bring back seniority and as you mentioned, the QB play is going to be pretty strong.
NC State is as tough a cross-division pull you can get this year, aside from Clemson. BC is one-dimensional, and I don't think anyone else is even a threat.

NC State going to give us major fits on Defense. Their Defense is trash. I am not worried about Virginia nor Pitt.

Additionally, we can run some 10 personnel this year and Restrepo can be on field as well.

There may even be some true spread looks in 00 personnel. Motion Brashard into backfield out of that look as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised with X playing 25% of snaps this year. That’s ~20-25 snaps a game in this offense.
I like that a lot. Empty with Brashard and maybe Knighton on the field. Defense has to account for the QB draw with King. Brashard, Knighton, Restrepo, Harley...the offense has a lot more weapons in the short passing game this year. And Keyshawn has shown flashes of being a RAC threat on intermediate routes where he can quickly transition upfield.

I think that look becomes essential if the run game struggles again. You can force teams like Clemson - who want to play single-high with press outside and throw exotic blitzes - into Quarters or Cover 2 checks. You can still have the alert go routes outside (like 2019 LSU) but those are no longer the only routes in the progression where it becomes feast or famine.

Advertisement
Does X's skillset translate to outside WR? Short area quickness, the ability to work in space and get open, and reliable hands.

I would be surprised to see him on the outside. Harley has already played there, so if you are going with a small lineup, I would think you move Harley outside and X stays in the slot. Between Rambo, Harley, Brinson, Key Smith and hopefully Redding & Wiggins, I would think X stays in the slot. Just my opinion, but what do you guys see that makes you think he can work outside?
No. X isn’t really even a Z (field receiver). He’s a pure slot. But in 10 you can go two slots.

I also like two slots out of trips with a Y-iso for Mallory on the other side.

We can put X at FB and release him or use him as a blocker on jet sweeps.

I go back to the fact we want to play a 75-100 snaps a game. We will play eight different receivers. The starters probably playing 60 of those.

UAB- 82 snaps, Wiggins played most at 70. Next was Pope at 53.

Louisville- 66 snaps, Wiggins played 60. Pope at 56.

FSU- 89 snaps, Wiggins played 72. Pope at 65.

Clemson- 59 snaps, Wiggins at 44. Harley at 42.

Pitt- 78 snaps, Harley at 57. Wiggins at 43.

UVA- 83 snaps, Wiggins at 79. Harley at 66.

NC State- 89 snaps, Wiggins at 87. Harley at 75.

Va Tech- 89 snaps, Wiggins at 83. Harley at 81.

Duke- 68 snaps, Wiggins at 50. Harley at 40.

UNC- 61 snaps, Pope at 57. Wiggins at 50.

Oklahoma State- 81 snaps, Pope at 70. Wiggins at 63.

If anyone tells you the depth isn’t a big deal, just look at the snaps that Wiggins played. He’s barely playing right now. I’m not slamming the kid, I’m highlighting the improvement you’ve seen for that to be the case.

With a better offense you’ll only see the snaps increase, which means more receivers needed.

Even talking about Harley being the guy at WR, he only led the receivers in snaps in one game, and actually reduced his percentage late in the year, not increased it.

Finley wasn’t the most fluid cover guy, either. That’s actually a pretty good comparison for what Carter can be, maybe with a little more thump.
Finley broke down in space better than Amari has shown he can do - especially the last couple years. I just don't think he can do what Finley did for us up the seam and against certain routes. But, we shall see. He can do some things (in front of him, attacking) that Finley couldn't, though.

Advertisement
@DMoney - If we have 4 DE with 2 freshmen that aren't likely to play, who gets moved to DE if we have an injury? Brooks, Roberts, QWilliams or someone else?

It’s a university infractions deal, not an athletics decision.

Sort of like Capone getting got on tax evasion deal.
That lawyer needs to get aggressive. If the charges were dismissed, the university has zero basis in keeping him from extracurricular activities. The alleged victim was not a student.

I get that universities have to be careful. They need to do the right thing to protect their students and to protect themselves from liability in case there was a bad incident in the future against a female student. But you have to base those decisions on actual factual evidence.

No. X isn’t really even a Z (field receiver). He’s a pure slot. But in 10 you can go two slots.

I also like two slots out of trips with a Y-iso for Mallory on the other side.

We can put X at FB and release him or use him as a blocker on jet sweeps.

I go back to the fact we want to play a 75-100 snaps a game. We will play eight different receivers. The starters probably playing 60 of those.

UAB- 82 snaps, Wiggins played most at 70. Next was Pope at 53.

Louisville- 66 snaps, Wiggins played 60. Pope at 56.

FSU- 89 snaps, Wiggins played 72. Pope at 65.

Clemson- 59 snaps, Wiggins at 44. Harley at 42.

Pitt- 78 snaps, Harley at 57. Wiggins at 43.

UVA- 83 snaps, Wiggins at 79. Harley at 66.

NC State- 89 snaps, Wiggins at 87. Harley at 75.

Va Tech- 89 snaps, Wiggins at 83. Harley at 81.

Duke- 68 snaps, Wiggins at 50. Harley at 40.

UNC- 61 snaps, Pope at 57. Wiggins at 50.

Oklahoma State- 81 snaps, Pope at 70. Wiggins at 63.

If anyone tells you the depth isn’t a big deal, just look at the snaps that Wiggins played. He’s barely playing right now. I’m not slamming the kid, I’m highlighting the improvement you’ve seen for that to be the case.

With a better offense you’ll only see the snaps increase, which means more receivers needed.

Even talking about Harley being the guy at WR, he only led the receivers in snaps in one game, and actually reduced his percentage late in the year, not increased it.
10 personnel is basically what I was referring to in a prior post when I said you can do so many route combos with X, B Smith, Harley, the TEs, etc. With a QB as smart as King (that is also a threat to take off), you can really work the crossers and rub routes and the TEs down the seam. Could be deadly, IMO.

But yeah, I agree X is a slot. He is basically built in a lab for it.

Advertisement
Back