Position Group Superlatives: Quarterbacks

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
As the back to school sales begin to emerge bountiful upon the merchandising horizons, a simple clarity becomes clear. Football season is nearer than you think. InSight continues to bring the education with position group breakdowns. This time it’s the quarterbacks.

Most Valuable: Malik Rosier

Despite leading the ACC in interceptions last year and collectively being the bane of many Hurricane’s fans’ existence, Malik Rosier is quarterback one. Starting off the 2018 season in “Jerry World” vs. LSU, he has to be. Experience has to account here and Rosier is the only quarterback on the roster able to boast major meaningful starting experience. No one can supplant the fact that Rosier went into a hostile Doak crowd and silenced the masses with a surgical strike into the hearts of the Seminole faithful. And although Rosier finished the season 0-3, he navigated the Hurricanes to 10 straight wins. That counts.

Most upside: N’kosi Perry

Although Jarren Williams has established himself as an early usurper to the backup spot and beyond, N’kosi Perry still has the upside. Just a recount of some of the plays he made in the spring game are strong evidence of that fact. Perry showed off a huge arm and was easily able to evade rushers in a “touch and your down” spring simulation. Perry has this unique phenomenon to get “hot” like an NBA shooter and you sensed a microcosm of that rhythmic phenomenon at Hard Rock. Ultimately however, having the most upside is the equivalent of being a blinking light. You eventually need to stay on or you are just a hazard light.

Most Intriguing: Jarren Williams

The Gwinnett High School in Lawrenceville, Georgia product Jarren Williams has definitely made his presence known on the Greentree. Williams shows a studious passion for film and a mechanical proficiency beyond his years. One way you can tell Williams is good mechanically? You don’t hear coach Richt complain about him mechanically. While you instantly salivate over Williams’s ability for an incoming freshman, you have to temper enthusiasm and expectation. Brad Kaaya was the last freshman quarterback who started for the University of Miami. That season was very forgettable. And although Georgia hit lightning in a bottle with Jake Fromm, the success stories for true freshman power five quarterbacks are fewer and far between.

Most to Prove: Malik Rosier

How is the MVP of the group the one with the most to prove? Exactly. The starting quarterback for the U will always be under the proverbial gun and microscope. Go 10-0 to start the season and at one point it looked like Rosier was given the key to the city. Finish the season an uninspiring 0-3 and suddenly that key doesn’t seem to work around town. The dichotomy of Rosier is now complete. He is the MVP. The guy who broke Vinny Testaverde’s single season previous record of 30 touchdowns in a season. And he is the one with the most to prove. Rosier’s 54% was near the bottom of accuracy in the ACC. Boston College’s freshman quarterback Anthony Brown’s 51.9% was the only one lower. Will the real Rosier be in attendance that first day of football school when they face LSU in Arlington? Because if he doesn’t show up for class, there is a few scholarship quarterbacks on the roster who will.

Advertisement
As the back to school sales begin to emerge bountiful upon the merchandising horizons, a simple clarity becomes clear. Football season is nearer than you think. InSight continues to bring the education with position group breakdowns. This time it’s the quarterbacks.

Despite leading the ACC in interceptions last year and collectively being the bane of many Hurricane’s fans’ existence, Malik Rosier is quarterback one. Starting off the 2018 season in “Jerry World” vs. LSU, he has to be. Experience has to account here and Rosier is the only quarterback on the roster able to boast major meaningful starting experience. No one can supplant the fact that Rosier went into a hostile Doak crowd and silenced the masses with a surgical strike into the hearts of the Seminole faithful. And although Rosier finished the season 0-3, he navigated the Hurricanes to 10 straight wins. That counts.

Although Jarren Williams has established himself as an early usurper to the backup spot and beyond, N’kosi Perry still has the upside. Just a recount of some of the plays he made in the spring game are strong evidence of that fact. Perry showed off a huge arm and was easily able to evade rushers in a “touch and your down” spring simulation. Perry has this unique phenomenon to get “hot” like an NBA shooter and you sensed a microcosm of that rhythmic phenomenon at Hard Rock. Ultimately however, having the most upside is the equivalent of being a blinking light. You eventually need to stay on or you are just a hazard light.

The Gwinnett High School in Lawrenceville, Georgia product Jarren Williams has definitely made his presence known on the Greentree. Williams shows a studious passion for film and a mechanical proficiency beyond his years. One way you can tell Williams is good mechanically? You don’t hear coach Richt complain about him mechanically. While you instantly salivate over Williams’s ability for an incoming freshman, you have to temper enthusiasm and expectation. Brad Kaaya was the last freshman quarterback who started for the University of Miami. That season was very forgettable. And although Georgia hit lightning in a bottle with Jake Fromm, the success stories for true freshman power five quarterbacks are fewer and far between.

How is the MVP of the group the one with the most to prove? Exactly. The starting quarterback for the U will always be under the proverbial gun and microscope. Go 10-0 to start the season and at one point it looked like Rosier was given the key to the city. Finish the season an uninspiring 0-3 and suddenly that key doesn’t seem to work around town. The dichotomy of Rosier is now complete. He is the MVP. The guy who broke Vinny Testaverde’s single season previous record of 30 touchdowns in a season. And he is the one with the most to prove. Rosier’s 54% was near the bottom of accuracy in the ACC. Boston College’s freshman quarterback Anthony Brown’s 51.9% was the only one lower. Will the real Rosier be in attendance that first day of football school when they face LSU in Arlington? Because if he doesn’t show up for class, there is a few scholarship quarterbacks on the roster who will.

Good write up. Solid points regarding all competitors.

Good write up, thanks. This is one of the few positions (OL the other glaring one) on the team that is preventing us from being elite.

I think Rosier starts vs LSU. Too big of a game to start a QB with no experience.

What I'd like to see after that - use the next 3 games (Savannah St., Toledo, FIU) basically as live scrimmages for all 3 QB's, or at least the top 2, and go with the best QB when we play UNC.

Advertisement
Roman, How about a quick take on Weldon. Coach keeps saying some good things about him.

Sleeper. Just didnt think he fit in the mvp, biggest upside or most to prove categories. Think you can make the case for him in regards to the most intriguing but when he didn't play in spring it made it difficult.

After the rewind series I appreciate cades game. He was the last one broken down. He's got some moxy. Only thing concerning is that I didnt see that next level arm at times. In comparison to all of the major 4 QBs on the roster he would have to rate on the lower rungs of that ladder in terms of arm prowess.

But arm strength is not a definitive attribute for success (Cough cough jamarcus Russell) I'm glad richt has praised him. That's good for depth purposes. But ultimately fast forward to now and the book is still out because there isn't a strong body of work to compare to.

I really wish he participated in spring.

If we can get this situation sorted out one way or the other this could be a special season.

I just can't shake the dismal end to last season and the performance of QB1 down the stretch.

Advertisement
People on here act like Rosier cant improve. Like there is no way on earth he cant get any better. Like what we saw those last 3 games is what we are going to get from him and to me that's BS.

Richt doesn't seem like the type to blow smoke up anyones a$$. We are talking about a coach who got so frustrated with Rosiers performance that he pulled him in the Pitt game for freakin Evan Sheriff! (and he later admitted that was a mistake)

So when Richt says Rosier is our guy, he has seen something in him the last 60 days that makes him a believer so dammit lets rally around him as a fan base and get ready for a great year!

I'd switch Jarren to most upside and N'kosi to most intriguing.

If we can get this situation sorted out one way or the other this could be a special season.

I just can't shake the dismal end to last season and the performance of QB1 down the stretch.

The holes in my doors cant shake it either. But we have to trust that he improved and is taken his leadership seriously. which from ACC media day and other players, that he is and things are different. and if that's the case I think we might be in for a show.

The holes in my doors cant shake it either. But we have to trust that he improved and is taken his leadership seriously. which from ACC media day and other players, that he is and things are different. and if that's the case I think we might be in for a show.

Trust but verify. That's what I was always taught.

Malweak hasn't passed the verification yet.

Advertisement
Sleeper. Just didnt think he fit in the mvp, biggest upside or most to prove categories. Think you can make the case for him in regards to the most intriguing but when he didn't play in spring it made it difficult.

After the rewind series I appreciate cades game. He was the last one broken down. He's got some moxy. Only thing concerning is that I didnt see that next level arm at times. In comparison to all of the major 4 QBs on the roster he would have to rate on the lower rungs of that ladder in terms of arm prowess.

But arm strength is not a definitive attribute for success (Cough cough jamarcus Russell) I'm glad richt has praised him. That's good for depth purposes. But ultimately fast forward to now and the book is still out because there isn't a strong body of work to compare to.

I really wish he participated in spring.[/QUOTE

Roman, I’m just going on gut feeling here but the concern I have about Perry is above the shoulders. Perry comes in Sept. with all the hype and can’t even challenge Sherrieff for the backup position. It hurt us that we had to redshirt him. Williams on the other hand comes in early and not only demonstrates that he not only has the tools but also at a distance from someone who as just mentioned has nothing more then gut feeling seems like he has the stuff to take control of the offense. The new redshirt rule seems like it was designed especially for us. We can put all three of these candidates in live game coditions. That got to be a plus.

I think Rosier starts vs LSU. Too big of a game to start a QB with no experience.

What I'd like to see after that - use the next 3 games (Savannah St., Toledo, FIU) basically as live scrimmages for all 3 QB's, or at least the top 2, and go with the best QB when we play UNC.

And if Rosier plays well against LSU? Will ‘live scrimmage’ play against scrubs still be the determining factor to select a starter against UNC?

I still think Weldon is a sleeper....if not for his HS injury, he would've been a 4*....Kid is a baller...and his mobility is better than Rosier and N'kosi.....

Advertisement
I still think Weldon is a sleeper....if not for his HS injury, he would've been a 4*....Kid is a baller...and his mobility is better than Rosier and N'kosi.....
He's slept on with his mobility for sure, but not close to Kosi's.

I just wish one of them would become "the man," it's been a long time since the QB position wasn't a concern for this team.

Advertisement
Back