Portal Targets

Cleveland reminds me a lot of Kenny Kadji, that same body type and style. He would be a great fit.
I think he's a blend of Kadji and Miller. He's a little leaner and more athletic than Kadji, but not quite as physical as Miller (at least not yet)

Advertisement
This is what scares me though…. And before anyone thinks I’m doubting L & staff I’m not…. I’m doubting what the transfer portal has become and the psyche of todays college athlete:

I have no doubt we land a quality starting 4. If Wong leaves I have no doubt we land a quality scorer at the 2. But outside of that I have a really tough time believing we’re going to fill the other spots with “depth pieces” in the portal in todays game.
I guess there is the possibility of getting guys who you know well from recruiting them in the past that didn’t exactly kill it at their current school and are transferring. For Example Jalen Gaffney and Bryan Greenlee both transferred to FAU from UCONN and Minnesota to play a part of an 8/9 man rotation where minutes were divided pretty equally. That seems to be the only way of getting depth pieces at this point or small school 6th/7th men who’d be willing to take the same role or slightly less of a role at a major program.

Advertisement
As we focus on the Portal, gotta keep these players in mind.

AJ Casey, seemingly the top guy in last year's recruiting class? Projected as a Power Forward, his future success was predicated to a degree on his developing his perimeter game. Guess that's a work still in progress? Reportedly chose us over Gonzaga, Michigan, Memphis, Ohio State, and DePaul.

Watson, at 6''7, was projected as a 3. He chose us over Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Xavier, Rutgers, VCU, and Penn State. By rights, he should be the logical Miller replacement. Called a prototype Wing, and a "three level scorer."

Robinson, from the previous class, is the biggest "mystery." He had offers from Georgetown and NC State, highly regarded in the DC area. He's scored a grand total of 4 points in the 7 games he's seen mop-up duty in. As a recruit, was projected to play the 3.

Depending on our success in the Portal, any of these guys could end up deciding to depart. No one wants that but ... That's the reality these days.

Casey looked soft in his time. Didn’t finish strong. No outside shot to speak of. Really looked lost.

In the few minutes I’ve actually seen him Watson looked impressive. Robinson in extremely limited minutes always played tough. He had a reputation as a tough defender and a 3 point guy. He has the size, strength and IQ to succeed.

Had these guys seen the floor as much Casey though who knows if they would have looked lost too.

Advertisement
Casey looked soft in his time. Didn’t finish strong. No outside shot to speak of. Really looked lost.

In the few minutes I’ve actually seen him Watson looked impressive. Robinson in extremely limited minutes always played tough. He had a reputation as a tough defender and a 3 point guy. He has the size, strength and IQ to succeed.

Had these guys seen the floor as much Casey though who knows if they would have looked lost too.
Thats the bottom line. We really havent seen enough of Casey, Watson and Robinson to have any valid opinions. If anything worries me about those three, its that Larranaga saw them all the time in practice and clearly wasnt of the opinion that any of them could help in ACC or NCAAT play.

Thats the bottom line. We really havent seen enough of Casey, Watson and Robinson to have any valid opinions. If anything worries me about those three, its that Larranaga saw them all the time in practice and clearly wasnt of the opinion that any of them could help in ACC or NCAAT play.
There is a reason Walker ate up much of Casey‘s minutes.

One could argue Casey should improve with more playing time but he never got the opportunity.

We didn’t really have minutes for Watson and Robinson, the backcourt had sufficient depth and no one went thru a long stretch of struggling.

Casey I agree worries me, because walker did nothing to warrant the playing time he received.

Advertisement
We didn’t really have minutes for Watson and Robinson, the backcourt had sufficient depth and no one went thru a long stretch of struggling.

Casey I agree worries me, because walker did nothing to warrant the playing time he received.
Agree on Casey. Until he has confidence in his outside shot, defenses won't have to worry about him/"play him honest."

I don't think Watson and Robinson are seen as backcourt players. Both Wings? In competition for minutes vacated by Jordan Miller?

Cleveland reminds me a lot of Kenny Kadji, that same body type and style. He would be a great fit.
I don’t see us being overly interested, I’ve watched this young man play since he was 10 years old and he still has no jump shot to speak of (notwithstanding beating UM on a last second 3 point shot). Matt Cleveland is off the charts as an athlete but he has not developed his skills since…ever. I don’t see Coach L wanting anyone who can’t shoot. Even Omier can shoot a little.

Last edited:
Agree on Casey. Until he has confidence in his outside shot, defenses won't have to worry about him/"play him honest."

I don't think Watson and Robinson are seen as backcourt players. Both Wings? In competition for minutes vacated by Jordan Miller?

Robinson is listed as a guard

Advertisement
I don’t see us being overly interested, I’ve watched this young man play since he was 10 years old and he still has no jump shot to speak of (notwithstanding beating UM on a last second 3 point shot). Matt Cleveland is off the charts as an athlete but he has developed his skills since…ever. I don’t see Coach L wanting anyone who can’t shoot. Even Omier can shoot a little.

Cleveland has a better shot than Omier.

Advertisement
Back