Portal Targets

Advertisement
Advertisement
Amzil’s game is similar to Sam’s. He’d be a solid depth piece but I don’t want him as our starting PF.
This is what scares me though…. And before anyone thinks I’m doubting L & staff I’m not…. I’m doubting what the transfer portal has become and the psyche of todays college athlete:

I have no doubt we land a quality starting 4. If Wong leaves I have no doubt we land a quality scorer at the 2. But outside of that I have a really tough time believing we’re going to fill the other spots with “depth pieces” in the portal in todays game.

This is what scares me though…. And before anyone thinks I’m doubting L & staff I’m not…. I’m doubting what the transfer portal has become and the psyche of todays college athlete:

I have no doubt we land a quality starting 4. If Wong leaves I have no doubt we land a quality scorer at the 2. But outside of that I have a really tough time believing we’re going to fill the other spots with “depth pieces” in the portal in todays game.
Uconn seemed able to do that, even though never mentioned they had transfers who could come in and shoot 40% from three with ease.. lol..

Amzil is the only confirmed visit so far, right? Would love to get him and Cleveland but I guess that's a pipe dream.

It doesn't seem like we're too interested in any true big men. Either L feels Nwoko is going to be ready to go or we are going to stick to the same small ball but with (hopefully) more depth

Advertisement
Sam would have been awesome next to Omier.
Don't see that at all. Sam, though tall, was a Stretch 4 (emphasis on the Stretch) whose value was mainly perimeter three point shooting. He couldn't have defended a Sanogo or Clingan if his life depended on it. Need more size, ruggedness and physicality to go all the way, as we demonstrated.

Amzil is the only confirmed visit so far, right? Would love to get him and Cleveland but I guess that's a pipe dream.

It doesn't seem like we're too interested in any true big men. Either L feels Nwoko is going to be ready to go or we are going to stick to the same small ball but with (hopefully) more depth
More like there are few quality bigs out there. As usual, Portal is top heavy with perimeter players.

Just getting somebody like Amzil makes a big difference IMHO. I think Nwoko will be ready to contribute and Watson is 6’8” and has the potential to break out.

I don’t think we need a true big man, but adding length to our lineup while still playing a 5 out offense and switching man defense will give us a better chance against a team like UCONN… imho

Advertisement
Advertisement
Twitter is saying Auburn or Texas. Texas just lost a 5 star commit AJ Johnson to the NBL, so they'll definitely be looking at guards, but they're expected to get Max Abmas. Auburn already added Denver Jones from FIU, but I guess they're looking for another SG. His final four is Miami, Xavier, Auburn, and Texas, so we still have a chance, but no update on whether he's going to visit or not.

Advertisement
Back