Portal Talk: Now that we know where we are

Manny proved to be a wizard at the portal game this past offseason, and this coming offseason, we need him to call upon those Eldridge powers again.

We need to grab 2-3 STUD OL off of some good teams who are looking to up their draft stock. If we could land a tackle or two that can start at RT, then we can shift Scaife back inside and then you're talking about (assuming they keep improving) the kind of OL that allows you to make a legit playoff run.

Secondarily, we should pluck 2 stud LB's who are also looking to up their stock for the draft.

Finally, with the idea that we're making a serious run to regain our rightful place in the top 10, bringing in a stud PK to un-Baxa us for the 2020 season, would seem to be an absolute no brainer and would seem very doable.

Thoughts on Portal movements for this offseason now that we kind of know what we have?
Sooo how many "stud" OL & LB's were in the portal last off season? And somehow we are going to land 5?

Advertisement
Finding a kicker is a must.. somewhere out there is a dude who can hit at a decent clip.. maybe even a one year slot filler till we get that 2021 kid

Advertisement
IMO....

Next year is needed for WISDOM more so than this year to fill for DEPTH purposes.

We need hit the portal for Linebackers , O lineman , Defensive lineman especially our db's are young and athletic will be a force to be reckoning next year !

My plan (Redshirt #53 McCloud)

If we miss out out on Flowe ?- Go after TWO Linebackers- 1 Mike - middle linebacker 1. Sam Strong side linebacker

Regardless of who we get? Go after THREE Offensive lineman 2 OT (The ones we have are young and are not seasoned by vets) 1 Guard/Center .

Could never have enough Defensive tackles and I think next year they may be some good ones available.

Portal can’t be the solution for everything, got to develop your players at some point but if a lineman is looking to transfer who is talented you take a chance on that obviously

Portal CAN'T be the solution for everything either, strictly from a numbers standpoint. We do not get unlimited shots at the Portal Bar. We are pushing a full class RIGHT NOW for the 2020 Signing Class, I have to believe that we don't have a lot of portal chips left to play.

I'd love to know if we could get a grad-transfer kicker immediately, and while I can dream about an OT, other than that, we are going to have to wait for the recent signing classes to develop.

For what it's worth also need a Willis type dlineman.just need to recruit good players and develop them into studs.know some say we need bags I hate to inform you bags have have been around a lot longer than just the last ten years.

Manny proved to be a wizard at the portal game this past offseason, and this coming offseason, we need him to call upon those Eldridge powers again.

We need to grab 2-3 STUD OL off of some good teams who are looking to up their draft stock. If we could land a tackle or two that can start at RT, then we can shift Scaife back inside and then you're talking about (assuming they keep improving) the kind of OL that allows you to make a legit playoff run.

Secondarily, we should pluck 2 stud LB's who are also looking to up their stock for the draft.

Finally, with the idea that we're making a serious run to regain our rightful place in the top 10, bringing in a stud PK to un-Baxa us for the 2020 season, would seem to be an absolute no brainer and would seem very doable.

Thoughts on Portal movements for this offseason now that we kind of know what we have?
I’d say we’ll look into a kicker and a line backer, it’s hard to find quality OL in the portal so I’d bet we’re better off with our young guys.

Advertisement
We have only one upper class man on the OL - Donaldson - and he should not leave. If that’s the case, and Barry can work some magic with current starting 5, we’d have a pretty solid OL next year.

Would McCloud be open to RS?

Stating the obvious here but a priority this year should be to get the underclassmen LB's as many reps a possible. If we have a confortable lead they need to be in there.

I mean if y'all really trust our coaches one might go to the transfer portal for 1 LB and OL, specifically RT, but there is no need for more. Donaldson is the only junior on the line and he is most likely not leaving, then majority of y'all talk about how it takes OL for 3 years to really develope, which would be the case for Hillery, Campbell, Reed, and Herbert who has been hurt. There is a need for a true RT that can come and play right way and move Scaife inside. With this you would have Scaife and Donaldson as a guard with Reed, Clark, Ousmane, and Herbert as depth, and Nelson and a true RT, with Campbell and maybe Hillery as backups, plsus the recruits from the 2020 class. You can't be saying it takes about 3 yeare for OL to develope then claim we need to get 2-3 OL from the transfer portal. If I was UM, I would have McCloud sit for the season and redshirt him as soon as Joyner comes back. That would give you Joyner, Mcloud, Brooks, Huff, a transfer LB, and they would have Steed and Jennigns back, LB from the 2020 class, and the striker position, which ti me is the dumbest **** ever. If you want more athleticism on the field for passing downs either recruit more athletic LBs or go to a true Nickle package with another DB on the field who could also slide to boundary corner if needed to. Our strikers can not do that, they are more like LBs trying to cover the slot guy instead of big CB or nickle back trying to cover the slot.

Advertisement

We NEEDED those OL during the offseason. Manny couldn’t make it happen. No reason to think he suddenly figures out how to draw in major OL now.

Definitely need an LB or 2 unless Flowe signs somehow. Competition at RT would be good but I wouldn't close the book on Campbell yet. He has myriad technique issues but fix some of them and he's a high-end starter.

You guys realize Tommy Kennedy was one of the top tackles in the portal last off season, right? Experienced, star linemen don't transfer often. Better off developing what we have now. We're playing probably the youngest offensive line in the power 5. A starting caliber linebacker is more likely and we need to do something about kicker because Baxa has lost all confidence.

Advertisement
Manny was ahead of the curve with the portal. Now that most have caught on we will arguably have more competition for transfer players.

Lol we don’t need any more olineman in the portal or linebackers. Develop who we got and recruit better and at some point the QB is going to have to win games that’s just the way it is.

Advertisement
Back