Portal Talk: Now that we know where we are

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Manny proved to be a wizard at the portal game this past offseason, and this coming offseason, we need him to call upon those Eldridge powers again.

We need to grab 2-3 STUD OL off of some good teams who are looking to up their draft stock. If we could land a tackle or two that can start at RT, then we can shift Scaife back inside and then you're talking about (assuming they keep improving) the kind of OL that allows you to make a legit playoff run.

Secondarily, we should pluck 2 stud LB's who are also looking to up their stock for the draft.

Finally, with the idea that we're making a serious run to regain our rightful place in the top 10, bringing in a stud PK to un-Baxa us for the 2020 season, would seem to be an absolute no brainer and would seem very doable.

Thoughts on Portal movements for this offseason now that we kind of know what we have?

Advertisement
Definately need a Backer and a OL.

**** in the gameday thread...i posted i really liked how Bethune Cookman Middle Linebacker played.
Bring him in! If he can perform, then he can perform. We are going to be arguably more athletic at backer next year, but not nearly as seasoned.

Advertisement
Maybe a DB or safety?
Uhhmmm, I mean, we can always use a good player, but as far as need goes, and assuming Bubba finally gets cleared and plays close to expectations, I don't think we "need" safeties like we need immediate and developed help on OL, LB and PK.

I don't care if it's Doogie Howzer's cousin, as long as he can consistently make FG's under pressure.

Advertisement
Portal can’t be the solution for everything, got to develop your players at some point but if a lineman is looking to transfer who is talented you take a chance on that obviously
Long term I agree with you, but in the "What have you done for me lately" society and Cane fan base, fair or unfair, next year's team needs to still be in the playoff hunt at the beginning of October. Don't give 2 craps about the naysayers on here, I see development and progression at the QB position, in the pre-snap counts, in the multiplicity of ways to attack in the D and in the play calling by Enos.

I'm worried about the D, but still trust that Manny will do what he needs to in order for them to get back to a top 10 form. We need to make a real run at it next year and in order to do that, we need to shore up PK, OL and LB. We do that and our RSing former #1 player in the country turns out to be a stud DE, then we'll have what we need to legitimately be in every game.

Advertisement
Uhhmmm, I mean, we can always use a good player, but as far as need goes, and assuming Bubba finally gets cleared and plays close to expectations, I don't think we "need" safeties like we need immediate and developed help on OL, LB and PK.
That's why I said, "Maybe". We're not loading with great talent there so if another Bubba comes up, might be worth pursuing.

Advertisement
I think we'll be ok at linebacker if we can stay healthy. The trio of brooks, huff, and joyner has high upside to me. I think the positions to focus on the portal would be corner & kicker. Our depth at corner is paper thin and even if we pick up a 3rd 2020 corner recruit, another body in the portal sounds like a good idea to me as insurance. Kicker is self explanatory at this point unless Baxa completely does a 180.

Advertisement
Back