Portal shopping list

Advertisement
I would add OT to the list.

Rivers IMO is not a LT.

I've been saying this since the moment they kicked him out there. Rivers does not have the feet or the bend to take on edge rushers. He's an NFL level OG, move him to where he's a natural. Then you have 3 legit guards in Cohen, Rivers and Cooper to share the load, along with Lee at Center. That's a heck of an IOL, has to be Top 20, possibly Top 10, in the nation.

Mauigoa blew me away. I have finally come around to a true freshman good enough and physically ready enough to anchor the RT spot. But we desperately need another guy in case Nelson can't get back to being as good as or better than he was pre-injury. TVD needs a quality LT, all other spots along the OL are addressed.

- Backup QB. This is the trickiest one on the list, because who wants to be a backup? But Jacurri would love a redshirt and he could use one as well. A kid from FCS could make sense.

I don't think redshirting him is a must. If you are a winning team this year and need some wildcat packages then he should be playing.
- Backup interior OL. I've been talking about this on the podcast for a while. They want to add a backup center. Watch Luis Cristobal in the Portal as a guy who has started games. They are otherwise good with the Top 8 of Rivers, Cohen, Lee, Cooper ,Mauigoia, Nelson, McCoy and Okunlola.

I'm not sure there's all these willing backups available that are so much better than what we have available Again I think we can find a Rodriguez, Seymore, etc...But to find a kid that is clearly better who is willing to be the 9th OL? Doubt it?

- Safety/nickel. I believe they are looking for a guy who is a big nickel- someone who lines up in the slot with coverage ability but has more physicality than a Te'Cory Couch. If we get that type of guy, you may see someone like Jaden Harris fortifying the safety position. He fits better there- faster than quick with good tacking ability.

Or can Harris just stay at nickel and you bring in a safety with 2-3 years left to compete
- Cornerback. In terms of priority, this may be #1. We need one or two starting caliber guys. The tricky thing is that these guys are hard to find.

Lol ya think? Again all these "starting caliber guys" you thinking are available may be a pipe dream...

Advertisement
Confused Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

You guys all think every single thing you're not seeing NOW is clearly a big issue. It's not. Whether it's youth or not we need them to get experience and quickly. Several of the spots don't require grooming. Simply quality. #1 we're still dealing with some significant injuries & #2 we still have quite a few high quality recruits that aren't on campus now. Some you simply need to throw in the fire.

I think that D$’s list captured the holes as they are today for the most part (I also want an LT transfer). And you are almost certainly right that some of the young talent and injured guys will fill some of those holes come Fall and do well. The challenge is how much certainty the coaches have for each specific player and role.

In my opinion, you plan for the worst while hoping for the best, and go get portal kids who immediately fill most if not all those gaps while also trying to bring back the gimps and coach up the young guys.

Advertisement
Sure, those Richt guys didn’t help but they are no longer here.

Diaz's recruiting hurt us last year and will hurt until Mario stacks at least 3 top classes IMHO, from a depth/quality standpoint.
Agreed, but what I’m saying is the domino effect has trickled down. Richt’s last class was here last season; that was supposed to be leadership. So those classes bled over to Diaz classes & voila…

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
QB-

@DMoney REMEMBER WE LIKED HIM COMING OUT. Dont know if he would be open to a clear back up role in his grad year. But it would be coming back to Florida.

Grad transfer interestingly still listed on espn as a sophomore. Think he could do quite a bit better than our backup job, but is a take and would be a W

Advertisement
Back