Portal QB Wishlist

Latest rumors:

Leonard > ND (although Howard supposedly wanted in)
Ward > Oregon

Any others?
Not sure what Washington’s QB situation looks like but I’m kinda surprised they aren’t doing everything in their power for Ward. I feel like that would be a perfect arrangement for both parties.

Advertisement
Will Howard: 61% Comp%, 2,643 Yds, 7.5 adjusted Y/A, 24 TD, 6.7% TD%, 10 INT, 2.8% INT%, 140.1 QBRate, 351 RYds, 9 RTds.

Howard Has a career 3.21 INT% and <2:1 TD:INT ratio. Only in 17 our of his 31 games Howard threw for more TDs than INTs (54%).

TVD has a career INT% of 2.5% and >2:1 TD:INT ratio. TVD had 17 out of 29 games he threw for more TDs than INTs (58.6%).

For perspective Bo Nix has had 43 out of 59 games where he threw for more TDs than INTs - 72.8% ... and a 4.2 TD:INT ratio. And thats why Oregon has 11 wins.

So saying Howard is better than TVD... idk. Of course maybe you'd argue Howard doesn't have as low lows as TVD and brings something to the table due to his mobility. But he definitely doesn't have nearly as high highs statistically. Maybe you could say TVD has had better weapons and offensive system? Lol...
You think we'd have gone 9-3/10-2 with Howard? I do. There are a lot of QBs who aren't gonna be NFL QBs that I feel would have won 9 or 10 games with this team this year. We went 7-5, and had TVD played the Clemson game and done TVD stuff we might have gone 6-6. The QB who's more likely to win 2-4 more games, all else being equal, is the better QB.

You think we'd have gone 9-3/10-2 with Howard? I do. There are a lot of QBs who aren't gonna be NFL QBs that I feel would have won 9 or 10 games with this team this year. We went 7-5, and had TVD played the Clemson game and done TVD stuff we might have gone 6-6. The QB who's more likely to win 2-4 more games, all else being equal, is the better QB.
Well TVD had that 4 games stretch where he had a >6% INT%... so it'd be tough not to be better than that. He probably wins us 2 more games. But like GTech could have been a win even with TVD... so just pure W/L isn't saying too much. We may not have beaten A&M...

As a whole though, I do not think he's better than TVD. He's probably more consistent. But he definitely doesn't have nearly as high highs, and the lows aren't exactly that much rarer is my main takeaway from looking at his stats. They're probably not as low as TVDs were, but they weren't exactly once in a blue moon either...

Like I've said before we don't need someone who is as good as TVD when he's at his best. But we need someone who is consistent and takes much better care of the ball. I'd say statistically this guy has waay too many turnovers for me to be confident he'd be good here. I mean I'd take him if we struck out at better options. OR maybe someone who has watched him a lot would say that he wasn't the problem there or just was unlucky on a bunch of picks... idk.

Can you explain the 7 picks in 5 games he had to start the season. Looks very TVD-esque. Also only eclipsed 300 yards once and >70% completion once.

Can you explain the 7 picks in 5 games he had to start the season. Looks very TVD-esque. Also only eclipsed 300 yards once and >70% completion once.
I didnt catch any of those games live, but it looks like he just had a really bad game against Okie State. He was still 2TD:1INT in the other 4 and the offense was very efficient in the UCF game despite his counting stats not being great. FWIW that Okie State game is the only one he's thrown multiple INTs in since his freshman year. Seems like an outlier to me.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 001418.png

Screenshot 2023-11-28 001513.png

Advertisement
Both Howard and Rogers come from Air Raid backgrounds and have that offense down to a tee. It's not surprise that these cats are the targets we're going after.

Plus, we're likely not getting a QB with a massive arm. Give me the one who makes the right throws in the intermediate range. Thats how you win games.

Advertisement
Also following Shapen from Baylor, fwiw
Shapen is interesting. Baylor was a trainwreck this year but he was by far their best player on offense. He's on the smaller side but tough kid with good mobility. Didn't really drive the ball down the field much in that offense but has a decent arm. Louisiana kid too.

Good option if the goal is to get the ball out quickly and accurately to our guys in space.

This is a very interesting dynamic and hopefully we learn all the details at some point.

The timeline is crazy how quickly we went from being all in on TVD to "get out".

May: attempts to transfer. All chips thrown in to keep him. Should have been a red flag for Mario to go get a suitable backup QB.
Summer: elite looking
First 4 games: back to 2021 TVD.
GT: lots of bad throws but overall had an ok game except for the 3 INTs..still should have won the game if not for Mario and Kam.
UNC: gets hurt (played ok still). Gave up 41 points. D played bad.
UVA/NCSt: played terrible. Was still hurt. Still won against UVA. Shouldn't have been playing.
LOU/BC: played well again. Loss to LOU was on the defense.

I don't really think TVD deserves the blame or even most of the blame for any loss we had this year.

So basically Mario went from all in on TVD to "get out" based:
1. GT game that we still should have won despite TVD's 3 INTs. Mario's mistake was way worse in this game. Kam's was pretty bad as well.
2. UNC game where he played well enough to win AND got hurt.
3. UVA/NCSt where he was playing hurt.

There's obviously much more behind the scenes going on here that caused Mario to sour on TVD. It can't be just these 4 games

I still think Mario is more at fault than TVD overall.

He's the one who:
Hired 2 coordinators that failed to do what Lashlee could do
Didn't build a suitable backup for this year (could have instead invested more in Jacurri or got a transfer QB to be a backup) where we still could have won the NCSt game.

I understand both sides need a fresh start. I just think that because of Mario's roster mismanagement, this is a big missed opportunity to be losing TVD to anywhere but the draft.

If he got to sit for UVA and NCST (and maybe FSU if he was still hurt), he'd probably be getting ready for the draft right now.
Mario and company are scape goating TVD.

Notice how the majority of this board has focused their criticism on TVD and not Mario’s in game coaching mistakes, Dawson getting complicit on offense. Their lack of accountability with the October stretch really rubs me the wrong way.

Now the narrative this offseason will be new QB vs the real underlying issues on this team.

Notice how the majority of this board has focused their criticism on TVD and not Mario’s in game coaching mistakes, Dawson getting complicit on offense. Their lack of accountability with the October stretch really rubs me the wrong way.

Now the narrative this offseason will be new QB vs the real underlying issues on this team.
TVD was a problem
Mario in game coaching was a problem
Dawson was a problem for a stretch

You see how I listed 3 things as problems. It's never just one thing. However, TVD is not being scapegoated. He thought about leaving last year and this year both parties have agreed it's good for him to move on. TVD has reached his peak with Miami and vice versa

Advertisement
TVD was a problem

You see how I listed 3 things as problems. It's never just one thing. However, TVD is not being scapegoated. He thought about leaving last year and this year both parties have agreed it's good for him to move on. TVD has reached his peak with Miami and vice versa
The issue with this place is that very few people are capable of nuanced thinking. All of the above can and are correct.

- TVD played awful in the GT game and the game never should have been close at the end. But it was Mario's coaching blunder that cost us the game.
- Dawson had a horrendous approach to the UVA and NC State games and probably should have benched TVD in the latter. He looked like a new QB against Louisville and BC, so who knows what happens against FSU if he sits against NC State.

Notice how the majority of this board has focused their criticism on TVD vs Mario’s in game coaching mistakes, Dawson getting complicit on offense.

C’mon now…

Mario and the staff clearly deserve blame for this season’s struggles; but, to absolve TVD from blame is equally misguided. He played poorly during our losing streak. He deserves criticism for his performance.

In addition to his inconsistent and often puzzling on-field performances, he lacked the intangibles to be considered a great quarterback. TVD possessed a nonchalant playing style. He lacked leadership presence. He displayed a mercenary attitude by flirting with Alabama and other schools just prior to the start of the season. Other than Restrepo, I’m not sure he earned the respect or trust of his teammates (OL rarely picked his carcass of the floor after getting hit). Those intangibles matter on and off the field. You cannot overcome those shortcomings by playing well one week and then throwing multiple picks the next week.

I’m glad to see he him go and wish him well provided he does not transfer to an in-state rival. But, he is not being scapegoated.

Advertisement

The issue is that for some reason, people aren't capable of realizing that multiple things can be true at once. For example, TVD was absolutely a problem for a majority of the year, also, Mario has made some absolutely mind blowing mistakes during games, including one that literally cost us a win, and also Dawson's play calling for long stretches lacked any sort of creativity and hamstrung our offense.

It's not a 1 or the other type of thing. All of those things came together and produced the season we just had. However, if we are ranking them in terms of what were the worst issues:

1. TVD Play- just a walking interception/turnover machine. The turnovers are all on him, not going to blame the coaches for him staring down his receivers and not understanding how to beat zone coverage. Even slightly below average QB play instead of the abortion he put out against NCST and GT and we win those games.

2. Mario Game Day Coaching- We simply cannot be making the types of mistakes he has been making regularly when you are being paid $8mill+ per year. It just can't happen. He needs to embrace the fact the he's not the smartest guy in the room and let his coordinators do what we pay them to do. If he could ever just focus on recruiting and stay out of the way on game day, we could make some real noise.

3. Dawson Playcalling- I am leaning more towards giving him a pass on this. I just can't believe the performance we saw against A&M was within his capability to then just reverse course and go vanilla the rest of the year without it being for one of two reasons. 1 is knowing how badly TVD was playing, he dumbed down the offense and decided to go more vanilla because of it. 2 is that Mario was dipping his hands into the offensive cookie jar and was hampering Dawson's playcalling. Either way, I saw enough good from him at times to give this a bit more time.

C’mon now…

Mario and the staff clearly deserve blame for this season’s struggles; but, to absolve TVD from blame is equally misguided. He played poorly during our losing streak. He deserves criticism for his performance.

In addition to his inconsistent and often puzzling on-field performances, he lacked the intangibles to be considered a great quarterback. TVD possessed a nonchalant playing style. He lacked leadership presence. He displayed a mercenary attitude by flirting with Alabama and other schools just prior to the start of the season. Other than Restrepo, I’m not sure he earned the respect or trust of his teammates (OL rarely picked his carcass of the floor after getting hit). Those intangibles matter on and off the field. You cannot overcome those shortcomings by playing well one week and then throwing multiple picks the next week.

I’m glad to see he him go and wish him well provided he does not transfer to an in-state rival. But, he is not being scapegoated.
Didn’t realize you were in the locker room and witnessed his leadership style first hand and got to experience his intangibles in action. Unless you got to witness him first hand you have no business commenting on a players leadserhsip or intangibles…that’s making it personal or making an opinion off Hearsay.

Throughout the season TVD was sent to Pasture by this fan base when it’s clear our issues go well beyond him

Last edited:
TVD was a problem

All three things were a problem, but this fan base is running with the narrative that TVd was THE problem when for me he is easily third in line for the problems you listed. That’s being scapegoated. As Cribby has said it was mutual for him to leave.

Advertisement
Back