Portal and bags

U’re arguing something I’m not, and that’s why u don’t get what I’m saying.

So let me just address what u initially u said; u go to the portal to win “now.”

When have we “won now” w/ this method?

So let me take you down memory lane during the Richt/Diaz era, shall I?

2016 Roster: Out of the 53 active players on the roster, 51 were Miami recruits (excluding Vogel & Colbert...son)
Results? 9-4 & our 1st bowl game victory in over a decade

2017 Roster: Out of the 53 active players on the roster, 50 were Miami recruits (excluding Dee Delaney, Gerald Willis [who didn’t play] & George Brown Jr [who didn’t play])
Results? 10-3 & our first Coastal crown, and first NY6 bowl appearance in 10+ yrs

2018 Roster: Out of the 53 active players on the roster, 49 were Miami recruits (excluding Gerald Willis, George Brown Jr [Didn’t Play], Venzell Boulware & Tito Odenigo)
Results? 7-6 and embarrassing bowl loss

2019 Roster: Out of the 53 active players on the roster, 46 were Miami recruits (excluding Tate Martell, Bubba Bolden, Jaelen Phillips [Didn’t Play], Chigozie Nnoruka, Trevon Hill, Thomas Kennedy, KJ Osborne....*not including Asa Martin or Jeff Thomas on this list)
Results? 6-7 including losing to FIU (1st P5 team in history & getting shut out in a bowl game by a G5 team)

2020 Roster: Out of the 53 active players on the roster, 46 were Miami recruits (excluding Jaelen Phillips, Jarrid Williams, Tate Martell, D’Eriq King, Issiah Walker, Quincy Rochè, and Jose Borregales)
Results? 8-3 including having a historic meltdown against UNC & end the season 0-2

So what is this win “now” theory?

Do u know why we had better success w/ less transfers? It’s chemistry & cohesion. U name any top 10 team or any top 25 team (P5 or G5) outside of Marshall that have more transfers than us? Name one CFP contender that have more transfers than us? Here’s the thing; u won’t find it, b/c championship caliber teams don’t rely upon the portal. They strategically use it to fill “a” hole. They have “a” hole b/c they develop their own & they may have “a” hole from a crucial transfer. They don’t use the portal as a tactic to build b/c they can’t develop their own.

Notice how I continue to say “develop their own.” That’s the point U, along any other portal supporter can’t seem to comprehend. We are using the portal b/c we have no choice, DESPITE recruiting as a top 15 program in the NATION. That’s thee problem. I’m not saying the portal is wrong; I’m saying the comfortability & reliance upon it is wrong & we will never become a championship caliber team if we continue to reply upon this tactic.
Gotcha. Good response.

I’m guessing that the portal usage was a necessary evil in 2019, or at the very least a strategic choice. I think that the trend - albeit just three cycles - is downward. Just three this year, versus 5 in 2020 and 8 in 2021.

It’s an interesting take on the team’s success or lack thereof. It’s potentially a contributing factor, but I would say the primary reasons broke down as:

2017: Talented team at starter level with a 1st round WR (Richards) and good TE (Herndon), but poor depth. Game manager as QB

2018: Same QB, no Richards. Punting continually putting defense in terrible situations. Deteriorating offensive line.

2019: Offensive line bottoms out, grinding entire offense to a halt. Freshman QB. Kicking costs us 3 games

2020: Deteriorated defensive performance with poor LB play. Improved QB and OL play. WR play bottomed out as COVID limits development of freshmen

Advertisement
Gotcha. Good response.

I’m guessing that the portal usage was a necessary evil in 2019, or at the very least a strategic choice. I think that the trend - albeit just three cycles - is downward. Just three this year, versus 5 in 2020 and 8 in 2021.

It’s an interesting take on the team’s success or lack thereof. It’s potentially a contributing factor, but I would say the primary reasons broke down as:

2017: Talented team at starter level with a 1st round WR (Richards) and good TE (Herndon), but poor depth. Game manager as QB

2018: Same QB, no Richards. Punting continually putting defense in terrible situations. Deteriorating offensive line.

2019: Offensive line bottoms out, grinding entire offense to a halt. Freshman QB. Kicking costs us 3 games

2020: Deteriorated defensive performance with poor LB play. Improved QB and OL play. WR play bottomed out as COVID limits development of freshmen
Methadone is a 'necessary evil' too, but you're still an addict if you take it. That's kinda the situation here. Reliance on transfers may make sense in the short-term (as you note), but it's a sign of a problem, not a solution.

The bag game will evolve from a large, one time payment into a monthly/yearly vig. No sense paying for a kid who doesnt stay in the program.

And make no mistake, the bag game is still in play for portal transfers.
The bag game has ALWAYS involved ongoing payments. It's only in fans minds that kids get some massive amount pre-signing and then are trusted to stick around and do the work. What business operates that way? Kida at all these programs would blow the money and be on the first bus home 2 weeks later if it really worked like that.

Gotcha. Good response.

Definitely agree.

but that isn’t a portal rule, i don’t think. that’s a temporary thing for covid. maybe i’m confused but don’t think they took away the sit rule, did they?
I’ve been under the impression that they’re changing the rule to allow a one time transfer without sitting. It’s not been passed, but is all but a certainty. Theyve also been pretty lenient in allowing most petitioners to avoid sitting a year.. even for kids going to miami.

Also.. I could’ve dreamt all that, so who knows.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back