Pop Cooney tweet

1588453291816.png

Advertisement
I'm hoping that we can expect to see some big tomato spokesmen opportunities arising in Miami! "I'm Tedvokius Smothers, Hurricanes freshman linebacker, and I smother my sandwiches only in DiMare tomatoes!"

Unfortunately, NIL has NOTHING to do with the amount of businesses in a city and everything to do with bag schools finding ways to pay players more openly and more aggressively. We might have more businesses here, but how many of them are willing to step up an overpay for a spokesman in an effort to lure him to UM?

Bigger metropolitan areas like Miami have more money and more businesses, but those businesses aren't any more likely to pay players than they were before NIL. Meanwhile, the banks and car dealerships and any other booster-owned business in Alabaga, Athens, Columbus, and Clemson will be piling the money up in players' backpacks. Only difference is now they will do it openly.

Where are the accountants? Does this benefit a business form a tax POV? How does this affect profit? Can’t just have a bag man drop 100k on a business to pay a kid for a spot or for free rent in a condo or first dibs in a real estate project or some other crazy sht that’s being though about.

Where are the accountants? Does this benefit a business form a tax POV? How does this affect profit? Can’t just have a bag man drop 100k on a business to pay a kid for a spot or for free rent in a condo or first dibs in a real estate project or some other crazy sht that’s being though about.
The bagman doesn't have to "drop $100K on a business." The bagmen with the KKK schools are usually very wealthy businessmen. They can just hire a kid be a spokesman for their business and pay him over the table instead of funneling a bag to him like they've been doing before this NIL thing.

Businesses aren't really looking for some 19 year old freshman that most of area doesn't even know to "promote" their business. This is just a way for bag schools to give out bags more openly.

We think that because we follow this recruiting so closely that so does the rest of the demographic. It doesn't. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of citizens have no clue who most of these recruits are. So the recruit is actually of very little value to a business from an advertising/spokesman perspective. He is, however, useful to the rich booster who owns the business.

How many of our wealthy boosters, who previously weren't willing to play the covert, dirty bag game, will now be willing to pay kids for worthless advertising now that it's legal? That's really the only question that matters.

Advertisement
If you own a private business, you can spend the money however you want. But to your point, if Billy Bob Jones owns 10 car dealers around Athens and wants to now pay James Williams under this new NCAA rule, they could likely pay him the $100k and deduct that as advertising expense which would lower his taxable income and taxes due. They would then probably issue him a 1099 as an independent contractor so he would have to pay taxes, which is going to be a whole other mess by the way. If Billy Bob wanted, he can add capital contributions each year if he wanted to put that $100k through the business.

I have wondered what schools are going to do to help these guys or at least make sure they are paying taxes and not getting in trouble with the IRS. I could see a LOT of problems with this from kids spending all of their money and not setting aside any for taxes.

If you own a private business, you can spend the money however you want. But to your point, if Billy Bob Jones owns 10 car dealers around Athens and wants to now pay James Williams under this new NCAA rule, they could likely pay him the $100k and deduct that as advertising expense which would lower his taxable income and taxes due. They would then probably issue him a 1099 as an independent contractor so he would have to pay taxes, which is going to be a whole other mess by the way. If Billy Bob wanted, he can add capital contributions each year if he wanted to put that $100k through the business.

I have wondered what schools are going to do to help these guys or at least make sure they are paying taxes and not getting in trouble with the IRS. I could see a LOT of problems with this from kids spending all of their money and not setting aside any for taxes.
Some 18 year old sofla diva trying to figure out how to itemize for his 1099. El o fckng el!
I can see 3 years of back taxes getting jacked from his nfl signing bonus.

Im wondering if a possible negative effect of openly paying players now could ultimately cause problems in the locker room between players

Been saying this since the rule came out

Some of these kids are going to ***** it up royally and start depositing cash that they won’t have an excuse for depositing. Or they spend the cash and get screwed on taxes among other things

Advertisement
I think it will evolve into a “both” game for the bag schools. Offer a kid $100k up front under the table with the addition of being a spokesman for X business during their time in school to get them to an agreed upon total. Then when they show up in the new Charger and their momma got a new crib it will look above board.

I think it will evolve into a “both” game for the bag schools. Offer a kid $100k up front under the table with the addition of being a spokesman for X business during their time in school to get them to an agreed upon total. Then when they show up in the new Charger and their momma got a new crib it will look above board.
Chargers are gonna get laughed at after the sht that’s about to go down. I mean we had our dudes get busted for Bentley rentals. Imagine the cars that they’re gonna get with all the exotic rental and leasing places in sofla.

The bagman doesn't have to "drop $100K on a business." The bagmen with the KKK schools are usually very wealthy businessmen. They can just hire a kid be a spokesman for their business and pay him over the table instead of funneling a bag to him like they've been doing before this NIL thing.

Businesses aren't really looking for some 19 year old freshman that most of area doesn't even know to "promote" their business. This is just a way for bag schools to give out bags more openly.

We think that because we follow this recruiting so closely that so does the rest of the demographic. It doesn't. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of citizens have no clue who most of these recruits are. So the recruit is actually of very little value to a business from an advertising/spokesman perspective. He is, however, useful to the rich booster who owns the business.

How many of our wealthy boosters, who previously weren't willing to play the covert, dirty bag game, will now be willing to pay kids for worthless advertising now that it's legal? That's really the only question that matters.

Write-offs and perks should play a part as well. There’s a lot of ways dealers can “give” a car way which may benefit them as well. Old inventory needing to be moved now becomes a player/family perk. I agree that businessmen won’t be willing to put $100,000 in some nobodies hands overnight. But, I think there will be opportunities in other places. We just need to make sure that we are creative, proactive, and not acting like lazy new bucks with the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back