Ponce’s hire is incredibly problematic because he’s likely our 2023 OC

82028.jpeg

Advertisement
Gattis is probably here only one year, which puts Ponce as the likely OC for the Canes in 2023 and that’s a major issue.

That is problematic because it means a below average “Ponce” will likely be the 2023 OC with first year starting QB “Garcia”. That’s a problem, because guys like Garcia, and Brown, for that matter, needs a dynamic OC.

Mario needed to hire younger, more dynamic TRUE QB coach with a fertile OC mind that just needed more seasoning.

Ponce is Mario’s only problematic hire.
I bet you are awesome at parties.

Just seems like you’re jumping to a bunch of conclusions with this post, sir. First, we DON’T know that Gattis is only going to be here one year. Between the loaded QB room, great weather, easy ACC competition, and nice pay raise he got he might say,”Ya know what, this is a pretty sweet gig.” Second, we DON’T know that Mario would automatically promote Ponce to OC even if Gattis leaves. Think about it: If Mario really wanted Ponce to be the OC that bad then why not just give him that role this year instead of waiting? Lastly, why all the hate for Ponce? Would he have been my first pick? No, but he’s far from chopped liver, and Mario has done such an outstanding job putting this staff together that I will defer to him on this.

Advertisement
Gattis is probably here only one year, which puts Ponce as the likely OC for the Canes in 2023 and that’s a major issue.

That is problematic because it means a below average “Ponce” will likely be the 2023 OC with first year starting QB “Garcia”. That’s a problem, because guys like Garcia, and Brown, for that matter, needs a dynamic OC.

Mario needed to hire younger, more dynamic TRUE QB coach with a fertile OC mind that just needed more seasoning.

How do guys come up with all these analytical conclusions without allowing the test subject to be analyzed. Ponce has experience and like any other positional coach you have to demonstrate your skills before anyone knows how good you are. There is a demand for Gattis and success here will only bolster that. Good coaches connected here in SOFL will always be a highly sought commodity.

Advertisement
So we get what most consider a "good" OC to leave a good program to take a demotion and be our QB coach and all you're worried about is how he MIGHT become our OC next year?

I have no doubt he's here to try and earn that job eventually..I also have no doubt that Mario won't promote him to that position unless he's ready.

Maybe a year or 2 learning under Gattis gets him ready? The good news is once he becomes our OC and gets paid well, we'll have a long term QB coach/OC on staff that would take a lot to get him to leave.

OMG, WHY WHY WHY. I swear everything we do, there's someone like this OP that just complains and tries to find the negative. Has Mario not proven already that he is only going to hire the best person for the job, how do you know he will make Ponce the OC? have you looked at the contract, were you in the room, do you have a direct line to Mario?
Are you sure it's "someone like" and not actually this OP?

Ponce is a another great hire from Coach Mario Cristobal.

Advertisement
To be honest, I didn't want Ponce as our OC because he isn't experienced enough. Having said that I don't understand some of the outright bias against this man. What exactly is it about him that people find so "below average"? I think he did very well last year as the OC for App St. Before this he was with Scott Satterfield at Louisville as QB coach and passing game coordinator. Now he gets to work with Josh Gattis and he will be able to pick up quite a bit from the Broyles Award winner. I'm not stumping for Ponce to be our OC in 2023 as I personally believe Gattis will be here for longer than that and even if Gattis did leave I strongly believe that Mario would go out and find the very best available OC because it has become obvious at this point that is what he is all about. I'm very happy to have Ponce as our QB coach. In time I think Ponce will be a very good OC but I don't see it being here anytime in the near future.
This!

Speculation is a **** of a thing....

You know its quite possible Mario brought him over for the sole reason of coaching QBs and that's it...

If Gattis leaves next year how do you know Mario wont go find another OC?

Dont automatically assume Ponce is the next OC because if that was the case he would have targeted him from the start

Advertisement
Am I missing something? Some of the people on this board act like App State's offense was trash.

Ponce would have been an underwhelming OC hire after some of the names that were mentioned, but this guy is a good coach and his offenses at App State were more than solid. He has the potential to be a very, very good OC after a year in Coral Gables.

Miracle On 34Th Street Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor
Youre Wrong Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Advertisement
Back