PODCAST: UNC Preview, recruiting and Q and A

Advertisement
He’s not a safety.
The question is now what is he? He doesn’t tackle well in space and isn’t that great in coverage. He’s physical with wr‘s but Is he a lb? Can he play in all the trash and bodies in the box ? Is he physical enough for that ?**** does he even want to be in that mess? Everyone wants to move him somewhere but where? We’re only four games in but I have more questions about JW now than answers. He needs to show a lot more or just play him situational with Tae and Kam getting snaps at S.

The question is now what is he? He doesn’t tackle well in space and isn’t that great in coverage. He’s physical with wr‘s but Is he a lb? Can he play in all the trash and bodies in the box ? Is he physical enough for that ?**** does he even want to be in that mess? Everyone wants to move him somewhere but where? We’re only four games in but I have more questions about JW now than answers. He needs to show a lot more or just play him situational with Tae and Kam getting snaps at S.
I’d have him rush the passer. Thought that since day 1. Never waivered on the thought.

I’d have him rush the passer. Thought that since day 1. Never waivered on the thought.
That’s just as big of a ask for a guy who’s never done that or might not even have the skill set for it. I have questions if he can handle playing lb and you’re skipping him right over that to the most physical place on the field. Not saying LB, S or even your option is wrong, it’s just a matter of “ who knows“? There’s lots of questions with him as of today.

That’s just as big of a ask for a guy who’s never done that or might not even have the skill set for it. I have questions if he can handle playing lb and you’re skipping him right over that to the most physical place on the field. Not saying LB, S or even your option is wrong, it’s just a matter of “ who knows“? There’s lots of questions with him as of today.

He does have one of the greatest DEs in the history of the NFL at his disposal. Taylor is 6'6" and his NFL weight was listed as around 245 lbs. Out of HS, Williams is 6'5" 225 lbs. If he's a liability playing in space (which seems to be the case so far) and getting passed on the depth chart at S, I think UM needs to find a way to get him on the field. I agree that he doesn't seem to have the instincts for LB so I'd say start teaching him so pass rush moves. Rosseau was 6'6" 222 LB out of HS and played safety his senior season. My guess is Williams doesn't have Rosseaus wingspan, but his athleticism is off the charts. It would just be a shame for Williams to spend his UM career as a situational safety who only sees a few snaps a game.

In the salad days, UM had a reputation for bumping up players who were tweeners to different positions so we'd have speed everywhere. Bigger CBs would become safeties. Bigger safeties became LBs. Bigger LBs would become DEs. The players would be on the smaller side for their new positions but they were exceptionally fast. If Williams isn't developing at S, I think I'd bypass LB and see what he could do at the LOS.

Last edited:
Advertisement
the JW puzzle needs to include his actual desire to do things (block, tackle, get dirty)....football guys in here already know the answer to that.
because of this he is a liability at certain times and in certain situations.

I think you're probably spot on with the situational use. He should be playing a SAM type role if you ask me in man coverage situations. Give him a specific responsibility for now. If he can't handle that and struggles to stay in his smaller list of responsibilities then you know what you got. People that have played for Steele have said that there are areas of his defense that are pretty complex. Maybe that's where James is and having to think way too much.

He is a striker, star or whatever you want to call that hybrid outside lb/safety/corner position depending on scheme. He does have liabilities but also some unique traits you dont see often. It takes a good DC to utilize him creatively and move him around in deferent packages.

I just wish he would hit the weight room hard to maximize his full potential. Bigger and stronger is always better than smaller and weaker all else being equal. I think he could hold more weight and maintain the athleticism.

I agree. I just don’t see a safety at this level & certainly not next level.

Advertisement
@Boarcane whenever he sees someone be a mope
17B64D51-E148-4F7F-AD69-C8480D7A619D.gif

Snatching that Canes card 😭

Advertisement
Or we’re in touch with reality.
We are nowhere near as delusional, irrational, or extreme of a fan base as most fans of SEC schools. I grew up in SEC country and got to see first-hand how they behave. I'm also acquaintances with two Alabama fans. They were *****ing and moaning all last year about their team and trashing Bryce Young because he wasn't throwing 50 yd touchdown's every throw like Mac Jones, Tua, and Jalen (to a degree) the last 4-5 years.

Until our fans start poisoning trees of other fan's teams, and murdering our own friends because they weren't upset about a loss as we felt they should have been, I don't want to hear any more about us having the worst fan base.

Advertisement
We are nowhere near as delusional, irrational, or extreme of a fan base as most fans of SEC schools. I grew up in SEC country and got to see first-hand how they behave. I'm also acquaintances with two Alabama fans. They were *****ing and moaning all last year about their team and trashing Bryce Young because he wasn't throwing 50 yd touchdown's every throw like Mac Jones, Tua, and Jalen (to a degree) the last 4-5 years.

Until our fans start poisoning trees of other fan's teams, and murdering our own friends because they weren't upset about a loss as we felt they should have been, I don't want to hear any more about us having the worst fan base.
preach

The Office Thank You GIF

Advertisement
Back