PODCAST: Football is Back ft. D$ and Lance Roffers

This

Unfortunately, we’ve got some clown show porsters on this site that are just itching for the other two guys to transfer. I just don’t get it. I guess they’ve never heard of injuries or QBs just not performing.

this. what if they make the wrong call, and that QB ends up throwing 2 picks out of the gate (rewind to UVA last year) and its clear he doesnt belong. you dont have a legit backup and you tanked your season on the shoulders of the wrong QB.

Advertisement
This

Unfortunately, we’ve got some clown show porsters on this site that are just itching for the other two guys to transfer. I just don’t get it. I guess they’ve never heard of injuries or QBs just not performing.
The dorks on here care more about their dopey hot takes on the QB situation than they care about the actual QB situation. Fringe fan syndrome.

Unfortunately, if they’re all even we can’t line up 3 guys under center in a ghey choo choo train formation. They have to eventually pick a guy, and if they’re all close, it’ll likely go off a feeling.

Some dudes can’t get that this isn’t a math equation with a definite answer. It’s a lot of art and feel and opinion.

There have been some great coaches over the years who have picked the wrong QB. How many teams passed on the greatest QB in the history of the game—Tom Brady? Those dudes are paid millions, and they all missed and got that dead wrong. There are countless other examples.

All we can do is hope they pick the right guy, and if they don’t, then that they’re willing to make the change and haven’t lost the other 2 guys to the portal.

I really think the toughest variable for the staff to determine is Martell's mobility/legs in a real game, how he might be able to extend plays when bullets are live -- something you can't fully see in scrimmages. If UM was trotting out it's 2001 Oline, this would be much more about who can just operate the offense and get the ball out on time, consistently

I really think the toughest variable for the staff to determine is Martell's mobility/legs in a real game, how he might be able to extend plays when bullets are live -- something you can't fully see in scrimmages. If UM was trotting out it's 2001 Oline, this would be much more about who can just operate the offense and get the ball out on time, consistently
This is where I see him separating himself. I hope they go live in scrimmages or at least let them hit without taking them to the ground. You can't really tell with touch, just like in the spring scrimmage, Tate would have run for a lot more without blowing it dead as soon as he's grazed. Also, it helps evaluate all the QBs since it'll be in the back of their minds that they aren't protected.

This is where I see him separating himself. I hope they go live in scrimmages or at least let them hit without taking them to the ground. You can't really tell with touch, just like in the spring scrimmage, Tate would have run for a lot more without blowing it dead as soon as he's grazed. Also, it helps evaluate all the QBs since it'll be in the back of their minds that they aren't protected.

My view is, till our guys fully grasp the Enos system, they will need a guy who can just make some plays out of nowhere, do stuff off-platform and extend drives somehow, that could be Martell. It wont be a work off art early on, just find a way to win that opener and then fine tune this thing the rest of September(which seems pretty soft in terms of schedule_

Advertisement
My view is, till our guys fully grasp the Enos system, they will need a guy who can just make some plays out of nowhere, do stuff off-platform and extend drives somehow, that could be Martell. It wont be a work off art early on, just find a way to win that opener and then fine tune this thing the rest of September(which seems pretty soft in terms of schedule_
Agreed. Just do whatever is necessary to get past the turds and then we have a bye. A trip to UNC and then 2 or 3 cupcakes

I’d like to think I follow the Canes fairly obsessively.

I don’t recall Manny being disappointed in either Jarren or N’kosi all summer? Were these public comments?

Here are Manny's comments on Kosi. They struck me as lukewarm in comparison to his comments on Tate's summer and the usual coachspeak. The rest comes from non-public info:

“I think he’s improving. I do. But I think he’s still learning. Quarterbacks don’t end up on lists (of players who get in trouble), and that’s just the way it should be.

Quarterbacks should not be high-maintenance guys off the field. If anything, they should be the opposite. They should be the most low-maintenance part of your football team.

Growing into what it means to be the quarterback at the University of Miami is what they’re all really learning to be, to be perfectly honest with you. I would say N’Kosi, like all of them, is better. But I would not say that he’s figured it all out and is straight A’s across the board.”

You never really know what you have at QB until real bullets are flying. Scrimmages are nice, but they’re not the real deal.

Look at a dude like Baker Mayfield. No one wanted him because his magic didn’t happen until the games started. That sixth sense to evade pressure and to make plays in the clutch can’t be replicated in practice or scrimmages.

You never really know what you have at QB until real bullets are flying. Scrimmages are nice, but they’re not the real deal.

Look at a dude like Baker Mayfield. No one wanted him because his magic didn’t happen until the games started. That sixth sense to evade pressure and to make plays in the clutch can’t be replicated in practice or scrimmages.

yeah, in boxing some guys are great sparring partners, or gym fighters, but freeze under the lights

Other guys, are average in sparring, but once the smaller gloves come on, and headgear is ditched, come alive(Pacquiao is like that)

Advertisement
yeah, in boxing some guys are great sparring partners, or gym fighters, but freeze under the lights

Other guys, are average in sparring, but once the smaller gloves come on, and headgear is ditched, come alive(Pacquiao is like that)

Same with posters , I know for a fact k9 is great in the private messages , but he totally craps the bed in the public forums. But the private conversations ( sparring sessions) with k9 is what keeps me under the big lights.

Same with posters , I know for a fact k9 is great in the private messages , but he totally craps the bed in the public forums. But the private conversations ( sparring sessions) with k9 is what keeps me under the big lights.

I cant even deny this, I'm the David Rodela, or Weaver Triplets of this forum, no doubt....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Enjoyed the podcast. Most interesting part to me was the OL. The QB battle is discussed non stop here. Most telling statement in whole podcast was
hope the OL jells early. That will be huge key in beating the Crocs. . By midseason I think they will be decent but hope by game 1.

Here are Manny's comments on Kosi. They struck me as lukewarm in comparison to his comments on Tate's summer and the usual coachspeak. The rest comes from non-public info:

“I think he’s improving. I do. But I think he’s still learning. Quarterbacks don’t end up on lists (of players who get in trouble), and that’s just the way it should be.

Quarterbacks should not be high-maintenance guys off the field. If anything, they should be the opposite. They should be the most low-maintenance part of your football team.

Growing into what it means to be the quarterback at the University of Miami is what they’re all really learning to be, to be perfectly honest with you. I would say N’Kosi, like all of them, is better. But I would not say that he’s figured it all out and is straight A’s across the board.”

Do you think the comments could’ve been made to keep N’kosi working hard, like your doing better but that’s not enough keep working?

Do you think the comments could’ve been made to keep N’kosi working hard, like your doing better but that’s not enough keep working?

That’s probably part of it. But I wanted to see effusive praise, which is what he gave to Tate. This is the time for Perry to do everything right and leave no doubt.

Imo Solomon shouldn’t be brought up as being anywhere near a Neal or Stevenson “type” honestly

Based on what? He's elite for his position. If you rely on recruiting services or you don't see that when you evaluate him then that's your problem. I'd take one Neal over 3 Solomons but he's a generational LT and those are as valuable as it gets outside of QB.

Advertisement
Back