PODCAST: Fall Camp First Impressions ft. LuCane

View as article
It already started. As mentioned on the podcast, the backup QB battle is one of the most interesting in Camp.

Jarren was best in spring but, as we saw last year, training camp is a whole new ballgame. Perry and Weldon have the talent to make a leap, just need consistency.

So why aren’t the coaches appear to be giving Weldon a fair shot?? I remember papa shack saying the players loved him over perry[/QUOTE]

Advertisement
Thing is the oline played well enough outside of run blocking vs pitt to win every game on our schedule outside of the massacre vs clemson. They blocked well enough to win the Wisconsin game in which we was down our top 3 offensive weapons, poor officiating and horrible defensive play after having a lead.

Its definitely not as bad as people try and portray on here or anywhere near that...

as much as you eat sleep and breathe miami foobtall, i'm gonna assume you must have been asleep vs north caronlina

go watch our pass protection in that game, in fact go watch our run game in that game

Thing is the oline played well enough outside of run blocking vs pitt to win every game on our schedule outside of the massacre vs clemson. They blocked well enough to win the Wisconsin game in which we was down our top 3 offensive weapons, poor officiating and horrible defensive play after having a lead.

Its definitely not as bad as people try and portray on here or anywhere near that...
You have to remember that by the end of the season Rosier couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Teams were stacking the box playing the run, daring Malik to complete a pass......

Advertisement
It’s hard to tell how each QB is doing without knowing which QB is going 1s vs 1s. Kosi’s numbers in the spring game were altered because the 2nd team recievers werw dropping the ball.

Scaife is the #6 OL right now according to Brown not Reed. He also was substantially better than Reed during the UA game. Not sure why you zero'd in on bringing up Reed over and over.

Great stuff gentlemen. I'd like to see Dean take control of the CB spot next to thriller. That would allow those freshman to develop imo.

We need Dean to step up and be a contributor this year.

The freshmen corners can cover a teams 3rd and 4th best WR, I don’t think Dean is as good as Blades and Frierson it might be a wrap already for him.

Scaife is the #6 OL right now according to Brown not Reed. He also was substantially better than Reed during the UA game. Not sure why you zero'd in on bringing up Reed over and over.

Scaife is further ahead, as he played at a higher level of HS competition and was here in spring. I wouldn’t be shocked if he starts getting more time at tackle after the first scrimmage.

Like I said on the pod, Reed is third string and has a lot of ground to make up. But his ability to move people is unique and much needed. Donaldson is the only other guy who can dominate good players. That’s a big reason we struggled in short yardage.

Advertisement
as much as you eat sleep and breathe miami foobtall, i'm gonna assume you must have been asleep vs north caronlina

go watch our pass protection in that game, in fact go watch our run game in that game
You mean the game they were accused of stealing signals??

Cuz was out of shape still recovering from injury he has lost 28 pounds since that game and if you go look at that game again run blocking he was goid his pass blocking wasn’t as good which comes with better coaching. Once he gets the plays down i bet you be a fan lol

Cuz was out of shape still recovering from injury he has lost 28 pounds since that game and if you go look at that game again run blocking he was goid his pass blocking wasn’t as good which comes with better coaching. Once he gets the plays down i bet you be a fan lol

I'm not down on Reed. Not at all, he looks like a potential beast. Scaife however is clearly the better player right now. Both seem like potential starters in the future.

Advertisement
Both Malek Young & Bandy wound up starting towards the end of their Freshman seasons in critical games.

A lot of people forget, Malek Young got a huge INT for us in the End Zone vs NC St late in the 3rd quarter when NC St had driven all the way down into the red zone when the score was just 10-7. That completely shifted the momentum of the game & swung things back in our favor to let Walton take over & put it away.

Bandy as a TF had arguably one of the biggest plays in one of our biggest games last year with the pick 6 vs Notre Dame, which propelled us to being ranked the #2 team in the country after that victory.

Point is, Frierson, Ivey or Blades are better Corners with much higher upside than Dean & they need to play significant snaps this season. You don't get better sitting on the bench, throw them out there & see if they sink or swim.

True Freshman CB's play a lot of this level & succeed, it's not as difficult a transition as QB, they shouldn't just let Dean get spun around for half the season like they did with Delaney last year just because Dean technically has more experience.
👀

Yup, it ain't the 90's anymore, sitting on the bench for 3 years ain't happening this era, especially with the new transfer rules in place.

Dean isn't even that much more experienced, he played sparingly last year, didn't start at all & was a rotational CB in Juco at Blinn college. Eventually talent wins out over experience, if that experienced player is stagnant.

I mean Delaney was a 4 year starter who had 11INT's at the Citadel & played a ton of snaps for them, got to Miami and struggled immensely. Bethune & Toledo WR's ran a clinic on'em, he settled down a bit vs Duke, but for the most part wasn't a good starter opposite of MJ.

All the experience in the world can't make up for a lack of talent, Dean has solid traits with length & speed, but is a limited Corner that lacks physicality. There's no question Frierson, Ivey & Blades have much higher ceilings, put them on the field & let them show out.
👀

Advertisement
Back