PODCAST: Camp wrap-up and talking stadium with Johnny Ruiz

Advertisement
Now every time I see a post from @DMoney I'm going to think it's the Fonze posting 🤦🏾

NINTCHDBPICT000058057150-e1541188679993.jpg
GettyImages-93765991.jpg

The fact that there’s a segment of our fans that doesn’t want us to have our own stadium or doesn’t understand the financial implications of it is mind boggling, but par for the course nonetheless...

A lot of people arguing against it don’t realize how much revenue stadiums generate, from ticket sales, suites, concessions, advertising, naming rights, licensing, merchandising, parking, team store & memorabilia etc.. Not to mention leasing for venues for concerts & other events...

The Dolphins sold the naming rights to their stadium to Hard Rock Cafe for $250Mill, the stadium itself generates over $100million a year in ticket sales alone from Phins games, Miami only gets a % of our ticket sales, we get pennies on the dollar for what revenue we bring to HRS.

Having our own stadium would generate easily $70-100mill in revenue for the Hurricanes & we would profit & benefit off that the most, aside from astronomical TV money from conference payouts in the SEC, schools like TAMU, Bama, UGA, etc make so much money in large part due to their stadiums, along with merchandising, donations from Boosters etc..

Having our own stadium is an absolute no-brainer for finances for the future of the program...
It’s very simple to understand even in Canes terms:
- Stadium = Moar Money
- Moar Money = Better Croots
- Better Croots = 15-0 bro!

LCE. your argument implies that U of M would own the stadium and therefore reap the benefits. to my knowledge, no one has mentioned twhether the U is going to make an equity investment or other financial arrangement to own the stadium. of course, there are other arrangement that could be structured to provide income to the U via the stadium but Ruiz isn't in the business of giving money away for nothing.

Advertisement
You've been on these boards long enough to know there is a decent portion of this fanbase that fall under the categories of either not very intelligent, or only care about what's best for their particular conveniences. I've long held on this board that if you poll the majority of Cane fans that are "against" the idea of the Canes having our own stadium you'd find that the majority of them live closer to HR than the areas being proposed.

The Canes being in HR was a solution to a problem at the time. Other than that it never made any sense. This is a team that belongs in the HEART of Dade County, not hugging the county line in a pro stadium that simply tries to split the difference logistically with some fans who have moved further north.

The problem at the time was an administration that didn't give a **** about football. We've seemingly solved that problem....so why not FINALLY do what should have been done YEARS ago?

Good luck trying to get some on this board to understand this concept . It's like trying to teach quantum mechanics to a chimp with a brain injury.
There is an equally big portion that loved jumping on Blake James's response of more analysts as thinking small, but are equally quick to jump on Ruiz for thinking big... like Rad, Mario, Echevarria, etc. have not already pushed this as a need, run the numbers, and blessed this from the university's perspective and it is Ruiz acting rogue.

That’s all well and good, but first the aforementioned obstacles need to be overcome, including political and infrastructure/logistics. That’s where the focus has to be right now.
as i said in another thread, engineering and architectural obstacles including infrastructure can all be resolved as long as you have sufficient money.

Advertisement
You've been on these boards long enough to know there is a decent portion of this fanbase that fall under the categories of either not very intelligent, or only care about what's best for their particular conveniences. I've long held on this board that if you poll the majority of Cane fans that are "against" the idea of the Canes having our own stadium you'd find that the majority of them live closer to HR than the areas being proposed.

The Canes being in HR was a solution to a problem at the time. Other than that it never made any sense. This is a team that belongs in the HEART of Dade County, not hugging the county line in a pro stadium that simply tries to split the difference logistically with some fans who have moved further north.

The problem at the time was an administration that didn't give a **** about football. We've seemingly solved that problem....so why not FINALLY do what should have been done YEARS ago?

Good luck trying to get some on this board to understand this concept . It's like trying to teach quantum mechanics to a chimp with a brain injury.
i live 10 minutes from tropical park and am against the stadium on the basis that public parks shouldnt be used for private stadiums. wrong use of public money/resources. in addition, i dont see any benefit from the proposed stadium unless the U owns the stadium, which it won't.

I found it interesting Ruiz used the word “sustainable” throughout the interview when discussing UM finances and revenue generation.

It sounds like he was alluding to LifeWallet not being the sole solution to UM’s financial needs and implying that our sports teams cannot compete with top programs if the sole financial benefactor is the Ruiz family. UM needs alternative income sources and HRS is not the answer. The financial demands created by NIL, the need for new facilities and other program investments require multiple revenue sources. LifeWallet is simply part of the solution.

It sounded like he was trying to educate anyone who thinks the Ruiz will provide a blank check in perpetuity.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I found it interesting Ruiz used the word “sustainable” when it comes to finances and revenue generation throughout the interview.

It sounds like he was alluding to LifeWallet not being the sole solution to UM’s financial needs. Our teams cannot compete with top programs if the sole financial benefactor is the Ruiz family. UM needs alternative income sources and HRS is not the answer. The financial demands created by NIL, the need for new facilities and other program investments require multiple revenue sources. LifeWallet is simply part of the solution.

It sounded like he was trying to educate anyone who thinks the Ruiz will provide a blank check in perpetuity.

Have to hope the Miami business community at large steps up.

Ruiz laid out perfectly why the stadium needs to happen: it gives Miami financial sustainability. It won’t have an effect on the “hard rok is perfect!” crew but it’s the actual reason why Miami needs its own stadium (as opposed to school pride or something).

I was very-much a proponent of a downtown stadium; it's where our program was born and, accessibility-wise, it's more familiar for fans while maintaining metro rail access that was such a fun part of the game day experience for students.

That said, I can finally see the vision of an "on campus" stadium at tropical park; if you can't bring the stadium to the gables campus, you can bring the []__[] to the stadium and make Tropical Park an extension of the main campus.

I think if this is pitched as an 'expansion of the University Campus', with a stadium, it's infinitely more marketable and community-friendly than just focusing on the stadium alone.

Last edited:
I was very-much a proponent of a downtown stadium; it's where our program was born and, accessibility-wise, it's more familiar for fans while maintaining metro rail access that was such a fun part of the game day experience for students.

That said, I can finally see the vision of an "on campus" stadium at tropical park; If you can't bring the stadium to the gables campus, you can bring the []__[] to the stadium and make Tropical Park and extension of the main campus.

I think if this is pitched as an expansion of the University Campus, with a stadium, it's infinitely more marketable and community-friendly than just focusing on the stadium alone.
as long as they keep the hill as part of a public park

Advertisement
LCE. your argument implies that U of M would own the stadium and therefore reap the benefits. to my knowledge, no one has mentioned twhether the U is going to make an equity investment or other financial arrangement to own the stadium. of course, there are other arrangement that could be structured to provide income to the U via the stadium but Ruiz isn't in the business of giving money away for nothing.
I was just going to ask this same question. Stadium ownership is for the big dawgs. And, although I’m not the most educated on the topic, I’m sure it can be very profitable.

I would think Ruiz would keep the stadium, and give Miami some sweetheart deal on a 99 year lease, or something to that effect. Maybe there would be an agreement that UM has so sign off on naming rights and things of that nature. But Ruiz would make the $$ from concerts, etc.

Just a guess though. Maybe D$ knows more?

I was just going to ask this same question. Stadium ownership is for the big dawgs. And, although I’m not the most educated on the topic, I’m sure it can be very profitable.

I would think Ruiz would keep the stadium, and give Miami some sweetheart deal on a 99 year lease, or something to that effect. Maybe there would be an agreement that UM has so sign off on naming rights and things of that nature. But Ruiz would make the $$ from concerts, etc.

Just a guess though. Maybe D$ knows more?
Honestly, I think Ruiz owning the stadium while giving UM a sweetheart lease would be the better bet than UM owning a maintaining the stadium. If there’s one thing I’ve learned living my entire life here, it’s not to rely on Miami sports fans consistently buying tickets. Yeah if the team competes for titles they’ll get 55k weekly but the first 8-5 season and it’ll be right back to the same 35k die hards who have been going to games the last 20 years. If the school is relying on the stadium being mostly full to earn enough revenue to pay the bills, they’re in for a tough road. We’ll end up like FSU trying to use county tax dollars to fix the toilets. If Ruiz maintains ownership, it won’t be up to the athletic department to pay the bills.

Advertisement
Back